Larry speaks about new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just want some new U2 tunes. Hopefully, SOA will finally be seeing the light of day.
I just hope it's not a watered-down "radio friendy" version. I'm a bit confused that it's
Larry coming out with the news. Bono has been unusally quiet about all of this. But I guess it's still early. Bono will beging the hype momentarily. lol

They should bite the bullet and release 2 albums.

In the least I hope they don't forget about Mercy, Every Breaking Wave and North Star.

Mercy was released live, so I doubt that would be put on a new album. The up to date studio version will be on a box set in 15 to 20 years most likely.

Blue Room said:
Mercy was released live, so I doubt that would be put on a new album. The up to date studio version will be on a box set in 15 to 20 years most likely.

Mercy should definately be released in a studio-version!

They should bite the bullet and release 2 albums.

In the least I hope they don't forget about Mercy, Every Breaking Wave and North Star.

I hope they forget both. At least from an album. They'd be good on an EP or something.

I hope if a studio version of Mercy is ever released it is the original one or a cleaned up/mastered version of the original one and not a studio rendering of the live version. I really felt that U2 just sucked the soul out of the song. I don't know why they felt the need to do that.

I hope we get no beach clips this time around. I don't have the willpower to hold off on them, but they totally ruined the studio versions of Magnificent and Breathe for me.

I think that with every album they've said they were going to follow up with another one very quickly. As ATYCLB was released, they said their plan was to finish the Elevation tour, and go back in and record another album really quickly (presumably for a 2002 release).

With HTDAAB, Bono said he anticipated the next album would be released in 2006 (produced by Rick Rubin).

With NLOTH, obviously they were quite serious about it for awhile. I really think that was their plan all along, and it got nixed at the 11th hour. Due to a combination of the lack of success of NLOTH, Spiderman, and Bono's surgery.

I think that with every album they've said they were going to follow up with another one very quickly. As ATYCLB was released, they said their plan was to finish the Elevation tour, and go back in and record another album really quickly (presumably for a 2002 release).

In late 2001, i started a blog called U2002 which listed all rumors and news about the supposed new U2 album that was to come out that year. :reject:

In late 2001, i started a blog called U2002 which listed all rumors and news about the supposed new U2 album that was to come out that year. :reject:

double-facepalm.jpg

I hope if a studio version of Mercy is ever released it is the original one or a cleaned up/mastered version of the original one and not a studio rendering of the live version. I really felt that U2 just sucked the soul out of the song. I don't know why they felt the need to do that.

Word. I still feel super privileged to have heard it live, and the verses were still phenomenal, but cutting the bridge and adding that awful, awful chorus were horrible decisions.

I hope we get no beach clips this time around. I don't have the willpower to hold off on them, but they totally ruined the studio versions of Magnificent and Breathe for me.

BEACH CLIPZ!!!1!!!1!1!!!!!!

Technically they've always done some recording fairly soon (within weeks) after the end of the tour. They worked on Rattle and Hum tracks in the winter/spring of 88, for example; recorded Zooropa in the break between Zoo legs; and even went into the studio six weeks after PopMart in the hopes of having a new album out at the end of 99. It seems like this has been something they've done as a way to A) capitalize on the tight-knit nature of the band after so much time on tour, and B) expend some of that energy. The only times they haven't done this was after the LoveTown tour (the earliest evidence we have of any recording is Edge doing demos in his basement in spring of 90 with drum machines), after the ZooTV tour, and presumably after HTDAAB, when they seemed to take a long break, no doubt because of Edge's family situation, combined with the pressure from Spider Man to start writing material in earnest.

There was never going to be a new record in 06, since the tour would have only finished that spring. Once it was pushed to fall, it definitely wasn't going to happen. I'm guessing this was when they worked with Rubin, since wasn't the band in LA anyway because of Edge? They could have possibly released a new record in 07, had the Rubin material they were working on been up to snuff. But it sounds like they abandoned those songs quickly after 06 and started afresh with Eno/Lanois in spring/summer 07.

I agree about the live vs studio version of Mercy, though I doubt they'll release the studio version, it would be great, though. The live version was an amazing surprise and it was really great of U2 to play it, but I don't understand why they didn't stick to the original version and made a whole new one instead which really didn't live up to the studio version.

I would still love to hear the studio version of Every Breaking Wave. I like that song so much, though I acknowledge that we only got a "raw" live version, which was, IMO, beautiful. If there is a full band version (which I suppose there is, because it was on NLOTH before they ditched it last minute), I sure hope it won't get dismissed again. It's one of these great and simple U2 songs that I want to hear more of.

Larry at the Dave Fanning show this morning. Talked mostly about the movie he did, how he got into acting and prepared for his role.

He saw Bono and Edge going to broadway and wanted to do something other than "looking at men's arses", which he'd done for 36 years :lol:

He says he wants to do more movies but only selected roles.

About U2:

Larry says work on the album is "nearing the end" and will be finished in Summer. They plan to release in September and then "release again" as quick as possible, want to "put as much music out there as possible". Songs of Ascent is still in the works. Producer Danger Mouse, no Will.I.Am. They want to follow the pattern they had with AB and Zooropa. New/unfinished songs played live last tour have been "rewritten" (Dave asked about Glastonbury and Stingray in particular, but I guess he meant the other unreleased songs as well).

Both acknowledged that it has been a long time since NLOTH's release and Larry says it's time to release a new album even though there's not much pressure on the band and they don't really have to hurry.

No talk about the title(s) and nothing about a tour, though.

Link to listen again:

http://2fm.rte.ie/fanning

So, the exact same information that the whole site's been discussing for the last few days?

Great. Good.

So, the exact same information that the whole site's been discussing for the last few days?

Great. Good.

Yes, they already revealed most of the interview before it aired.

However, they really talked about acting and movies for 2/3 of the time.

Oh and Larry said they wanted to follow the AB/Zooropa release pattern but definitely with "less time" in between.

I'd be shocked and a little disappointed if any of the new songs played on 360 showed up on the new album(s). (Soon and Stingray were my faves)

More likely i'd imagine they will show up as bonus tracks on future greatest hits or maybe as b-sides, though if I never hear North Star again it will be too soon.

Great. Good.

To be fair, now we know that they're still working on (at least a couple) of the unreleased songs played live on the 360 tour... and that Songs of Ascent is still a thing.
Those are pretty significant developments, i didn't think either would be true!

This is cool, thanks for posting it. Larry generally doesn't embellish his comments about the new record with BS the way Bono does, so I'll take this as good news. It doesn't mean that a new record will actually be out in September, but I have a lot more confidence that they are making progress recording something resembling real songs (as opposed to screwing around in the studio) hearing it from Larry than I would from Bono.

There's no reason to be negative about any of this news. Larry said SOA still exists, they have a lot of music (as opposed to only six songs), they want to follow an AB/Zooropa release pattern, and Will.I.Am is not working with them! I like how he said that they want to record a lot at once and have enough for a second release in the near future instead of having to go back and record some more. He said that's why it's taking so long and that there's lots of music. :happy: Hooray!

Here's another link to listen: http://www.goear.com/listen/12aad15/larry-mullen-jr-en-the-dave-fanning-show-larry-mullen-jr

Back
Top Bottom