Just ordered the U2 ipod!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I disagree with whoever said the iPod was the best player out there. Besides being overpriced, the unit locks you into a proprietary DRM'd format and a single music store that has dubious restrictions to begin with. In my experience alone, I feel the iRiver units are much superior. iTunes, while simple to use, lacks basic tools for any serious audiophile.

And, unless you wish to upload straight-up wav files, the player doesn't support far superior and unencumbered formats such as ogg, and lossless shn.

Worse of all though, my player needs to support lossless formats, and the iPod doesn't do this very well. What everybody seems to be taking for granted with this whole "digital music revolution" is the growing evidence of adverse affects on our health and aural systems listening to lossy digital audio can do to the human aural system.

Listening to crisp, clean hi-fi audio is one of the finest pleasures in my life, and I refuse to ruin my aural capacity by subjecting myself to (and even paying for the overpriced priviledge of) lossy DRM'd audio recordings which I can not enjoy and which is in all probability a serious health hazard.

elfyx said:
I disagree with whoever said the iPod was the best player out there. Besides being overpriced, the unit locks you into a proprietary DRM'd format and a single music store that has dubious restrictions to begin with. In my experience alone, I feel the iRiver units are much superior. iTunes, while simple to use, lacks basic tools for any serious audiophile.

And, unless you wish to upload straight-up wav files, the player doesn't support far superior and unencumbered formats such as ogg, and lossless shn.

Worse of all though, my player needs to support lossless formats, and the iPod doesn't do this very well. What everybody seems to be taking for granted with this whole "digital music revolution" is the growing evidence of adverse affects on our health and aural systems listening to lossy digital audio can do to the human aural system.

Listening to crisp, clean hi-fi audio is one of the finest pleasures in my life, and I refuse to ruin my aural capacity by subjecting myself to (and even paying for the overpriced priviledge of) lossy DRM'd audio recordings which I can not enjoy and which is in all probability a serious health hazard.

:huh: uh huh.

well, you know that back in the eighties Beta max was actually far superior than VHS, and look who won. It can be argued that Apple computers are far superior to IBM for many functions, but look who became more popular.

The best system/product doesn't always win. unfortunately

by the way, whats a good alternative to the Ipod anyway? whats the pricing? and what are the specs?

Way to go Stars!! :cool: :up:

been :dance: ing since I ordered the U2 ipod yesterday.

< just ordered the HTDAAB collectors edition from amazon (thats the cd, dvd and the book)....:wink:

<<<<has gone U2 :crazy:

someone stop me...im out of control! hehehe :lol:

BIG QUESTION:

Can you use the IPod/I-Tunes if you don't have Windows XP?

I am currently using Windows ME and am not planning on upgrading for a while. :(

PowerSurge said:

:huh: uh huh.

well, you know that back in the eighties Beta max was actually far superior than VHS, and look who won. It can be argued that Apple computers are far superior to IBM for many functions, but look who became more popular.

The best system/product doesn't always win. unfortunately

by the way, whats a good alternative to the Ipod anyway? whats the pricing? and what are the specs?

hmm t's not just about what's superior, but the impact on our hearing that listening to lossy digital music may be doing to us. i assume you are comparing betamax/vhs to the different digital music codecs available?

go to www.iriveramerica.com/ for, imo some of the best players available.

Last edited:
I bought mine yesterday. I was in the market for something and although it is a little pricey, the U2 Box Set + U2 styled Ipod seems worth it to me. I'm also the guy who buys 10 different versions of Elevation, so you know that this a little price bump wouldn't stop me. :D

I also picked up the microphone (been looking for a good voice recorder, hope it works) and a carrying case so I can actually work out when I have it.

Did anyone see this?

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/black.php

If I get something for the car, I have to have the black one!

I can't believe that I've been brainwashed by apple :drool:

elfyx said:

Worse of all though, my player needs to support lossless formats, and the iPod doesn't do this very well.
Well it does supports "Apple lossless"now :huh: but I don't even want to think about converting all my shows from FLAC/SHN to WAV, then to Apple lossless, just to put lossless files on the ipod. If it supported FLAC or SHN I'd buy one today, but meh...I dunno now. :slant: It really needs to support more formats.

I think Im going to buy one. I NEED THIS U2POD :drool: :yes:
I just got an Iriver recently but it only holds about 90 songs, and I think Im going to return it to get the Ipod.
I do have all of U2s cds, but most of them have been thru hell and back and are all scratched up and stuff so having all 400 songs on one Ipod sounds like an awesome idea to me. Plus it looks great, I love the signatures, I love black, I just need it!!!

There are no harmful effects from lossy music, and all blind tests show that vast majority of the most snobbish audiophiles with the most expensive of equipment cannot tell the difference between MP3's and lossless formats, probably becuase their ears are blown from listening to loud music, which is harmful.

asdasd said:
There are no harmful effects from lossy music, and all blind tests show that vast majority of the most snobbish audiophiles with the most expensive of equipment cannot tell the difference between MP3's and lossless formats, probably becuase their ears are blown from listening to loud music, which is harmful.

Thanks for the insult. I was hoping to add snobbish to my list. And, unless you are willing to cite the actual studies themselves, I would tend to disagree. In fact, like most "studies" today there are usually an equal number of conflicting ones out there. So, besides your statement being a non-sequitor, there actually is growing evidence of adverse affects to lossy digital audio. It doesn't even take an audiophile to be able to hear quality differences between lossy, lossless, and analog audio. In fact, studies have shown (do you need me to cite??? see what i mean?) that in many cases the human ear is able to perceive and recognize audible frequencies outside the accepted range. Why is this? Because it is being understood that the human aural system is a highly complex organ that can physically perceive audio outside our 'conscious' perception. So, go about your uninformed propaganda citing dubious 'industry-funded' "studies". I'll continue to use discernment and caution.

elfyx said:

hmm t's not just about what's superior, but the impact on our hearing that listening to lossy digital music may be doing to us. i assume you are comparing betamax/vhs to the different digital music codecs available?

go to www.iriveramerica.com/ for, imo some of the best players available.

I was not making a direct comparison between audio and audio, I was merely talking about video in the 80's, versus audio choices in the new millenium. Maybe you misunderstood? maybe I misunderstood? don't know, but I get your point nonetheless, but I agree with someone else's post about the innability for most people to hear differences in tones....dogs maybe....not humans. There are many studies to prove it. I will not call anyone snobbish for wanting the best though, because I do too.

I know I've mentioned this before but I am really dying to know how many of these have been pre-ordered.

Lemonchick, I feel for ya. I really shouldn't not have spent this kind of money....and I sold something in order to get part of the money together too. I am a confessed U2 whore....:reject:

starsgoblue said:
....and I sold something in order to get part of the money together too. I am a confessed U2 whore ....:reject:

wow...so many levels stars...im not even gonna start :wink:

I want so badly to get the box set, not so much the ipod, but my mind is set on special edition cd first, concert tix second, books third. That could all change dependent on what rarities are included in the box set. Mercy? Bulldozer? :hmm:

I'm a little upset that this is the only format that a box set has been released. A few weeks back I started a thread about what you'd like to see in a box set. I did say it'd be interesting if they made a set with mp3s to keep it cheaper than cds but I still expected something physical to be able to open, page through, maybe a compilation dvd to watch. I hope the band will someday put together a traditional collection, maybe for live material.

BTW, in an ipod related note, anyone catch the fact that the target in the 'Vertigo' video IS the ipod wheel...subliminal marketing message. Coincidence, I think NOT. Just part of the master plan I'm sure.

elfyx said:

A number of good tests have shown that AAC and OGG are on-par audio quality wise. I'll dig up some URLs in a bit. Normal AAC files have no DRM, nor do just regular MP3s and WAVs, which the iPod supports as well

It also supports Apple's Lossless codec, which in my own tests, produces identical results to that of other lossless codecs. You can fairly easily go from any lossless format to AIFF to Apple Lossless, so I can't see that being a big concern.

whitehead said:
BIG QUESTION:

Can you use the IPod/I-Tunes if you don't have Windows XP?

I am currently using Windows ME and am not planning on upgrading for a while. :(

Windows XP or 2000 is required. Windows ME/98/etc are truly outdated, and there are a number of technical reasons why it's impossible to support them. There are fewer and fewer applications supporting 98/ME these days. Upgrading is good :)

mofo82 said:

wow...so many levels stars...im not even gonna start :wink:

Hehe...:angel:

BTW, in an ipod related note, anyone catch the fact that the target in the 'Vertigo' video IS the ipod wheel...subliminal marketing message. Coincidence, I think NOT. Just part of the master plan I'm sure.

:ohmy: For real? You sure...? I must admit I was staring more at a certain short, gyrating lad....Me thinks I will need to pay more closer attention.

Mac user in the dark

starsgoblue said:

With an accesory, you can store photos on the U2Pod.

Thank you starsgoblue :) But does the U2 ipod have a color display? I thought it didn't :confused: Fuck, I've been putting off upgrading from
OS 9.0.4 to the newest OS X 10.3 :reject: now it must be done.

Confused guys (not that big of a departure from normal here:)) I called 1-800-MY-APPLE to check out the specs on the u2 ipod - they said that the ipod comes preloaded with HTDAAB on it - U2.com is saying otherwise. I've called twice and I'm starting to suspect the apple people think I might be stalking them.
any thoughts or information?

nurse chrissi said:
I called 1-800-MY-APPLE to check out the specs on the u2 ipod - they said that the ipod comes preloaded with HTDAAB on it

:ohmy:

I'm inclined to believe the people you spoke with....the album cover colors are the same colors of the iPod and the fact that the iPods aren't available til after the album release date makes me wonder.

I'll call the number tommorow and ask them too.

Re: Mac user in the dark

karmic_postmark said:

Thank you starsgoblue :) But does the U2 ipod have a color display? I thought it didn't :confused: Fuck, I've been putting off upgrading from
OS 9.0.4 to the newest OS X 10.3 :reject: now it must be done.

You'll love it! You're missing out on a lot right now :)

ok, if it comes preloaded...then why doesn't it state that on the apple.com site specs and also why didn't Steve Jobs mention that in the announcement on tuesday?
Someone needs to get their story straight...:angry:

<<<<is getting more confused by the minute!:confused::

Last edited:
after reading the apple site and a couple other articles, i don't think it comes preloaded :slant:

i still think i'm getting one for christmas...although now i'll have to upgrade to windows xp since i still have windows me LOL.

If the Apple sales people are saying HTDAAB comes pre-loaded, I wouldn't doubt it. It could have been a last minute decision, perhaps in even response to some feedback they were hearing. The Apple sales people have always been awesome, in my experience, and only give out 100% factual information. Especially since multiple sales representatives have said the same thing.

The Nov 18th ship-date makes sense too, so that you get it on the 23rd. The 18th is a Thursday, so that leaves just enough time for it to arrive on Tuesday given their usual ship times.

Back
Top Bottom