June 4th, 2011 - Qwest Field - Seattle, WA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the rain... I came out of the stadium and couldn't find the train back to my hotel (Hyatt on Burrard)... um, it was raining sideways, had a lil sweatshirt and ran 17 blocks back to the hotel... THEN drove home 6 hours... I sorta got lost and while i was standing on a corner trying to read this map in the pouring down rain, this old man walking by helped me... pointed down the street and said, run 14 blocks that way.. you'll get there... ya, that was miserable.. lol... I still had the best time ever...

Aww. :lol:

I was freaking out a little trying to think about how I'd get back to my hotel. I've been to downtown Vancouver enough in the past to know my way around well enough, but also to know that my hotel wasn't in the best part of town.

I walked to the stadium easily, but didn't want to walk back alone. I figured I'd have to take a cab, but that it would be impossible to hail one and it would take forever to get there.

First I got totally turned around leaving the stadium - had no idea which way was which, it was dark and rainy, I probably walked around the whole thing once before I oriented myself.

Then I just started walking, quickly, following the throngs of people, and realized that I would be walking with people the whole way back. I think I was in at least a clump of people all the way until a block from the hotel, so yay for getting through the scary bits intact.

I got lost the first time I went to Vancouver, trying to get back home. I don't know how I messed it up - it's that one big main road that I-5 turns into, and basically goes right into downtown! But yeah, I got lost. Ended up at a gas station, went inside and said "Can you point me toward America?" :lol:

How does the weather in Vancouver compare to the weather in Seattle?

I always figured that the Vacouver weather is a direct reflection of Seattle weather.:lol:

If the rain comes they run and hide their heads.
They might as well be dead.
If the rain comes, if the rain comes.

Sorry... I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for Bono singing snippets over absolutely every single glorious note in all of Edge's guitar solos....

:rant:

If the rain comes they run and hide their heads.
They might as well be dead.
If the rain comes, if the rain comes.

Sorry... I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for Bono singing snippets over absolutely every single glorious note in all of Edge's guitar solos....

:rant:

If it isn't rain snippets it will be something else. Bono invariably will sing over Edge. Thank goodness for IEM recordings. :D

Bono needs some new songs about rain to use as snippets.

Maybe he should learn Rainy Days and Mondays by the Carpenters.

Oh yeah!

Let's see, what else ...

Grateful Dead - Box of Rain
Bob Dylan - Buckets of Rain
Barbra Streisand - Don't Rain On My Parade (dude, I'd pay money to see that)
Garbage - Only Happy When It Rains
Willie Nelson - Blue Eyes Crying In the Rain
Duran Duran - Hold Back the Rain (would pay money for that one, too!)

Dang, why not snippet their own damned song? Summer Rain!

PURPLE RAIN. Yes! That would definitely be hilarious in MSP. But it's not going to rain that day, damn it.

Check it out:

U2 Purple Rain - U2 on tour

And yes, cori I agree... if you're going to snippet.........

:D

That stinkin' aforementioned rain in Vancouver totally trashed my Edge Converse. Damn good thing we were under a roof, because it poured TORRENTIAL for the entire show. If I remember correctly, the deluge began right after 5pm when they let the GA line in. Was nice of them to let us in with umbrellas, but I was prepared to throw my brand new $40 out if I had to.... jeez.

My worst fear for Minneapolis is that it's a horrifically humid, hot day with the threat of thunderstorms.

Please let it be a nice day, not too hot!

Cori, GA stresses me out too much too!! That's why I dished out the money for RED ZONE. It's the perfect compromise and the auction for Seattle ended pretty low 185.00so for me it was worth it! A friend told me her neighbor got RED ZONE seats for 1500.00 a piece. OMG. Not sure how that happened but somebody made a ton of money.
Damn scalpers.

And I think you are so right... Seattle is too laid back for GA lines and such mania. Funny isn't it? I think this might be different though, since people I know here at work are not even in the fan category and they are excited about the show. I swear they don't even know the tracks on the new album. For shame.:|

Sometimes I find myself feeling that way about "casual fans" I don't know, but when it comes to people I do know, I know they're legitimately excited, even if they weren't the biggest fans of the last album.

All my coworkers who are going are super excited, and I don't know that they cared much for NLOTH. I'm sure they couldn't name a song off Pop, either. It's no big deal, you know? :) Also, I think part of it is that some people are thrilled to go to a big, huge concert because it's a big event, and they probably don't go to a lot of big concerts, if they go to any at all. And obviously, they know/like some of the music, or they wouldn't go. I can't hate.

But those other, unknown, vague "casual fans" that U2 caters to ..... to hell with them! :wink:

oh, and not that this has any effect on what the GA line is going to be like, but I swear the only people I know who have GA are the die-hard fans. Everyone else I know "in real life" who's going has seats. So those excited casual fans will not be messing up our GA line. :wink:

Agreed on most fronts there. The people I know that aren't craic-heads are all excited, but they just know the radio hits. I'm not going to judge because, I've gone to plenty of shows where I know just the stuff on the radio.

As for GA, I hope it's better than Pasadena. I still have some residual PTSD from that fiasco.

I think Pasadena was the exception, from what I've heard. At least for the US shows. I know there were messes in other parts of the world, but I think usually the US GA lines don't turn into fiascoes. :)

Plus, doesn't the Rose Bowl hold, like, 8 million people more than the other stadiums? By default, that makes it less crazy in Seattle. :wink:

Then you do not know of the biggest fiasco of all.... DALLAS.

Where the fans at the front of the line were told when they entered the stadium that they couldn't go into the inner circle, because that was just for RED ZONE.

They literally fought with security for an hour about it.

OMG.

Yup, I heard about that. Security actually called in the police, who were about to arrest some folks. They actually got the inner circle to clear out, and the whole line was ruined because everyone lost there spots, even after being allowed back in.

And in DC, a bunch of people who had been at a stadium bar were allowed to take the front rail before the line was let in.

Oh wow, I'd forgotten about that.

I suppose anything can happen, but thankfully that sort of thing seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Remind me - do you have GA, too?

Nope. I have a seat behind the stage- lower level, dead center.

I've always wanted to see a U2 from behind the stage. This show will be a great opportunity because I'll be facing the rear of the stage, as well as the Seattle skyline.:hyper:

Initially, I was planning to arrive on the day of the show. But since Zoo Station will be in town on that Friday, I'm arriving a day earlier.:up:

By the way- It will be drastic climate change from Seattle to Oakland.:crack: I hope I don't get sick.:reject:

Yay, Thora! Join the party!

Ken, that will be an amazing view! Glad you'll be coming to the get-togethe on Friday. :)

I don't know if I'll want to get up at the crack of dawn to get in line, but I will definitely come in the morning sometime. I don't do well on very little sleep, so it depends on how late Zoo Station goes the night before. :lol:

I bought my dollar store poncho today. I am officially ready. Bring on the line.

Everyone bring sunglasses. Even if you use that poncho because it's raining, if the sun pops out, it will blind you. :wink:

At that point, I will be using my poncho as a tent and hiding from the sun. :wink: Multi-purpose!

I'm really, really excited for this. And I'm glad I finally have prescription sunglasses.

Ditto on both. I splurged last year and bought some - I'd always wanted to get them, but never got around to it until then. Best purchase I'd made in a long time. I wear them constantly when the weather's nice. :D

And now that I'm thinking about this, it will be much easier to find parking in the morning, rather than in the late afternoon. Bonus! :up:

If anyone's going to be driving to the stadium in the morning and wants tips on free parking, let me know. I know of spots that should be available all day, for free, about a 10-minute walk from the stadium.

I wouldn't recommend walking to your car alone at night (with people will be fine, and right after the show, therwill be a million people around and you'll be fine), but it's totally fine during the day.

Holler at me, and I'll give you directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom