June 4th, 2011 - Qwest Field - Seattle, WA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I wandered down there today, took the light rail from downtown.

I highly recommend getting off at the International District stop rather than the one called "Stadium." It's much more convenient to Safeco than to Qwest. And while the stadiums are right next to each other, the walkway from the Stadium stop to Safeco is kind of convoluted, and you end up walking a lot more than you would if you got off at the International District stop, where once you come up to the street level, you just cross 4th ave and go down the staircase over the train tracks, and it drops you right in the parking lot in front of Qwest.

Oh, and also .... pics!

P1000291.jpg

P1000290.jpg

P1000289.jpg

P1000288.jpg

In this picture, the NW gates are near where the big U2 sign is, and the NE gates are where the sign with the soccer players is. They didn't look that far apart in person, which could work in our favor with the wristband business. We'll see, I guess.

P1000294.jpg

:bow:Awesome Cori! Thanks for the info! :applaud:

I am a total novice with the light rail since I live on the east side.
Haven't had the chance to use it, must drive everywhere from here. :angry: Can't wait until they link up the east side to downtown!

Oh and how long did it take you total to get from downtown ( which stop?) to the Inter.Dist and then walk to the field? Do you remember?

They were just sitting right there in the parking lot, so I walked right up to take pictures.

Even touched some metal on one of the trucks. To which I heard a cry of "What are you doing with my truck?"

And now I have a new friend, Fran the truck driver. :wink:

:bow:Awesome Cori! Thanks for the info! :applaud:

I am a total novice with the light rail since I live on the east side.
Haven't had the chance to use it, must drive everywhere from here. :angry: Can't wait until they link up the east side to downtown!

The light rail is pretty awesome. I'll take it sometimes from work instead of the bus, and just catch the bus from one of the downtown stops.

I was surprised by how convoluted the walk from the Stadium stop was. So weird.

For those staying at the Silver Cloud, it's probably not that much closer from the International District stop, as the hotel is closer to Safeco than it is to the Qwest entrance and where the GA line will be.

In case any of those fine fans will be taking the light rail from the airport. I haven't done that trip myself, so I don't know how long it is from the airport. Definitely cheaper than a cab!

Yay!! Claw in Seattle!! I looked at the light rail site and found out that from the Westlake Station downtown (near my hotel) to the International District stop is about 7-8 minutes. It's like 4 stops if I remember right. Definitely beats walking! The whole trip from the airport to downtown takes bout 35 minutes according to the time chart.

Getting excited!! :hyper:

Thanks, I am thinking about driving south from Issaquah to Tukwila station and parking there and then taking the train up in the late morning since we have RZ. :) That might be the best idea yet. And we will get to hop on and off the train all day long downtown.

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan, and then you don't have to worry about finding parking down by the stadium.

I was just reading an article about the Claw going up in Edmonton, and it says there are 108 trucks.

So ...... where are the other 93 that aren't in Seattle? :crack:

in Edmonton the first truck arrived the 25th, then by noon the 26th it was up to 30, then as they unloaded the trucks the empty ones went to a different location nearby. not sure where to, but east of the stadium. there is very little parking around the stadium at all, also construction on the addition to stadium doesn't help. they may be rotating the trucks into area in unloading order.

:angel: not that I'm hanging around there... really. well, not all day. Just for a wee bit in the morning. its an advantage of not working right now.
I'm the Commonwealth Creeper.
they let me in to look earlier, no pictures allowed, but I stood at the top of the stairs on Adams side for a few minutes. it sure pays to say good morning and wave to the security team when wandering around.

:lol:

That's cool they let you in! I'll definitely be moseying by on the way home from work this week .... and maybe even wander down there during my lunch breaks. :shifty:

I'll see if I can make new friends and get to see things.

now part of team silver cloud

/drops mic
//walks off stage

Been awhile since I've been on here - great pics of the stage arrival, Cori! I've been thinking of heading down there myself to check it out.

now part of team silver cloud

/drops mic
//walks off stage

Whoo!

So the trucks that were there yesterday are just "The Steel" - the Claw frame and flooring. The rest of the behemoth and bits and pieces arrives within the next few days or so, in some different trucks.

Thanks, I am thinking about driving south from Issaquah to Tukwila station and parking there and then taking the train up in the late morning since we have RZ. :) That might be the best idea yet. And we will get to hop on and off the train all day long downtown.

The sound transit site says there is no parking at the Tukwila stop, which is what I was thinking of doing.

Is there parking or paid parking there?

I thought about parking at SeaTac, but the parking rates there are worse than downtown. Its amazing how expensive parking is now. If I drive all the way there, I hope to get early-bird special somewhere, and then go re-park at a meter around 4pm (since meters end at 6pm).

I think it's 108 for each show, not taking into account the extra Claw parts.

Based on what I found out last night, there are about 20 trucks that are "the steel," and then they said another 50 or so would be coming in with the rest of the stage, and then I guess the remainder are the band's equipment? Something like that, I think.

I may have misunderstood some of the details (there was alcohol involved), but it seemed pretty clear how there could be 108 trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom