July 16th, 17th, 2010 - Montreal - Hippodrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! I'm arriving on the 15th, going to try to do some quick sightseeing. If you have any "must see" places I 'd love to hear about it!
Jean Talon market

Rue saint-catherine (main shopping and strip club drag)

Boul. Saint-laurent (The Main - bars and shopping, traditional dividing line between english and french parts of city)

Old Montreal

Boustan on rue crescent (best lebanese fast food in montreal, imo)

The Mountain (mont royal park in middle of city)

Les deux pierrots live music club in old montreal

Guess I have to try my luck on Saturday during the general sale. :doh: Still waiting for a kind soul to PM me with an extra pre-sale code they are not using. LOL

Anyway, this is the first time I'm going to say Ticketmaster is better and more organized for their transactions than other vendors. I'm not looking forward to GEG's site overload on Saturday at noon. At least TM does not charge you for standard mail delivery and fucking GEG bill you $7.00 for standard mail delivery. This makes you consider printing off an electronic ticket immediately for $5.00 instead of waiting for the hardtickets :down:

I'll be at Philly earlier in the week, so sometime between the shows, haven't decided yet.

Thanks poopman, hmm that was strange to write....

Everything the poster above you said (I cannot write the name :) ). I'd add if you're going to be there on Saturday night, to take in the International Fireworks competition. There are different vantage points near downtown, but my favourite is atop a bridge that is closed for the occasion.

I'll be at Philly earlier in the week, so sometime between the shows, haven't decided yet.

Thanks poopman, hmm that was strange to write....

Another option is to stop in Ottawa a couple of days before Montreal. At that time, the Ottawa Bluesfest will be happening, which is an 11-day music festival. During the week, performances are from 6 PM to 11 PM, so you could do this on Tuesday and Wednesday then head to Montreal on Thursday.

Ottawa is less than 2 hours by car, bus, or train from Montreal.

OK so I have another friend who might be in. :hyper: I don't know if I'd do the all day lineup with them. They're not diehards and may not want to line up from 6 am on.

Yea so if I sign up to U2.com right now am I still able to get presale tickets? Or is it too late? I need 2 GAs and 2 of the $30 far back ones.

Yea I'm half debating on whether i should just join right now, and buy my tickets, if there are any left, or just wait until Saturday for public pre-sale.

Could someone log in for me and see what tickets are left? If you can do such a thing?

At almost every other 360 show this year, the venues had a ticket drop of a few hundred, so if you strike out on Saturday, you'll almost certainly get them at some point, I would think.

For the second Toronto show, I bought a GA ticket less than 2 hours before the doors opened, and the ticket agent at the Rogers Centre told me there were plenty left.

When I logged on this morning it was showing that the $30 tix were gone...maybe just for the presale

I think you're right. Also, some of the seats suddenly were "soldout" and then reappeared later and then "soldout" again. I could see LiveNation stepping in and telling GEG to stop selling certain tickets so that the general public could purchase tickets on Saturday.

:up:
Good idea, thanks.

Some additional information for you. The Ottawa Bluesfest will run from July 8 to 18. You can buy a full festival pass (which you won't need) or day passes. Prices vary depending on who the main act is.

The Festival takes place around the grounds of the War Museum, and it's a great site. You can go to the museum to use the washrooms, but there are also plenty of port-a-potties.

The setup is similar to Bonnaroo, Lollapolooza, and other big festivals in that there are six stages. The two biggest ones occupy the same space, and they alternate (i.e., when one performance ends on Stage A, another one immediately begins on Stage B). There are then three smaller stages and one indoor stage for small, intimate, acoustic performances.

The Bluesfest isn't just about the blues. Past headliners included Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, The White Stripes, Sting, Al Green, and many more. Last year, the headliners included KISS, The Stone Temple Pilots, Jeff Beck, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Ben Harper and the Relentless7, and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

On the smaller stages, there were The National, K-Naan, The Drive-by Truckers, Black Mountain, Metric, The Sam Roberts Band, Okerrvil River, DeVotchka, Neko Case, The Dead Weather, M83, Cake, and many more. TV on the Radio played the year before.

Here's a link. Click on the left to see the schedule by day (note: this is last year's schedule. The 2010 lineup won't be announced until April).

Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest - Schedule By Day

It was a tough call for my wife and me on whether to miss at least 4 days of Bluesfest to see U2 or just stay at home and enjoy the festival. If only Philly and Montreal were a week later, than it would have been perfect.

At least TM does not charge you for standard mail delivery and fucking GEG bill you $7.00 for standard mail delivery. This makes you consider printing off an electronic ticket immediately for $5.00 instead of waiting for the hardtickets :down:

Hey, at least it wasn't the outright gouging that we got from the European ticketing agencies; my single Istanbul ticket had a $70 (CAD) mailing fee attached to it, and there was NO option for ticketfast or box office pickup.... :angry:

For the second Toronto show, I bought a GA ticket less than 2 hours before the doors opened, and the ticket agent at the Rogers Centre told me there were plenty left.

I wonder why they hold so many back... I'm sure a lot of people would have gladly bought them up if they knew they were available; this, and the fact that the news kept advertising the shows as SOLD OUT would discourage most from even trying to get a ticket at the last minute, resulting in a lose-lose situation for both the promoter and fans....

I wonder why they hold so many back... I'm sure a lot of people would have gladly bought them up if they knew they were available; this, and the fact that the news kept advertising the shows as SOLD OUT would discourage most from even trying to get a ticket at the last minute, resulting in a lose-lose situation for both the promoter and fans....

Scalpers.

That's the big reason. For the last minute ticket buyer who is near the stadium or perhaps camped out in the GA line....I've experienced 1st hand the opening of the box office to reveal more tickets on sale.

Calculated space.

After the venue has been sold, often times extra seats are released that weren't available before due to a numbers game with the capacity of the venue. Sometimes it isn't till after the stage is setup (not just a U2 stage) where they can logistically look at certain seats or certain floor capacity and release some tickets that weren't available before.

If you ever have the chance, read U2 Show. I remember them mentioning some of the tactics done by U2 management.

I remember driving to Cleveland with no ticket for the show. I lined up in GA....tried my best to get a ticket from my U2 friends...no dice. I was just about to roll the dice on a scalper for 3x the face value and the box office opened. Scalper was pissed. I was happy.

For everyone locked out right now out of their favourite show........go and do a ticketbastard search every time you sit at a computer from now until show date. I got my Raleigh tickets 4 days before the show.

Oh yeah.....see ya in MTL! I just came back from a party weekend their last weekend. I stayed at Opus and boogied my ass off at Club Stereo. Wonderful time. Wonderful peeps!

I've been busy researching Montreal as well:drool:

Its going to be great! Everyone is giving such good ideas, I think we are going to stay a few days longer by arriving earlier. When are you arriving? So far we have reservations for the 15-17th. I responded to you FB comment......

Scalpers.

That's the big reason. For the last minute ticket buyer who is near the stadium or perhaps camped out in the GA line....I've experienced 1st hand the opening of the box office to reveal more tickets on sale.

Calculated space.

After the venue has been sold, often times extra seats are released that weren't available before due to a numbers game with the capacity of the venue. Sometimes it isn't till after the stage is setup (not just a U2 stage) where they can logistically look at certain seats or certain floor capacity and release some tickets that weren't available before.

If you ever have the chance, read U2 Show. I remember them mentioning some of the tactics done by U2 management.

I remember driving to Cleveland with no ticket for the show. I lined up in GA....tried my best to get a ticket from my U2 friends...no dice. I was just about to roll the dice on a scalper for 3x the face value and the box office opened. Scalper was pissed. I was happy.

For everyone locked out right now out of their favourite show........go and do a ticketbastard search every time you sit at a computer from now until show date. I got my Raleigh tickets 4 days before the show.

Oh yeah.....see ya in MTL! I just came back from a party weekend their last weekend. I stayed at Opus and boogied my ass off at Club Stereo. Wonderful time. Wonderful peeps!

I can vouch for this. I used to work concerts, though on a smaller scale. Bands would specifically request in their contract a certain number of seats to be withheld, and then they would be released the day of show. That's why I don't panic anymore if I don't get a ticket immediately for any show. If you just ask at the box office, you will likely have some available. I wouldn't absolutely guarantee it, just saying it is likely. And this could be for any show, not just U2.

Anyone else notice that the inner circle is not shaded as part of GA on the seating chart? Any thoughts as to what that could mean?

I have no doubt you're right, I was just saying what my personal preference is, since I'll really only be there on show day and the day after.

The thought of taking any public transport after the show is totally unappealing to me, no matter how close or convenient it is and any sightseeing I'll be doing will be Saturday prior to driving back to NY.
Hi, which hotel is it that's close by the venue? I'm doing the same thing-driving back down to NY the next day. coming in the day prior. I'd rather be close to the venue as well :up: and do the 20 minutes into the downtown/gathering area.

Hi, which hotel is it that's close by the venue? I'm doing the same thing-driving back down to NY the next day. coming in the day prior. I'd rather be close to the venue as well :up: and do the 20 minutes into the downtown/gathering area.

I made a reservation at Hotel Ruby Foos. Seems like it's relatively close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom