July 16th, 17th, 2010 - Montreal - Hippodrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Success! I had a glitch with the site at first -- it wasn't understanding my request for the number of tickets. Weird. I had to log in all over again.

I can't wait to visit Montreal again! (And, yes, of the 22 cities I've seen the band Montreal is my second favorite place, behind Dublin, but you understand!)

When I'm not seeing U2 I plan on eating, drinking and shopping. (Like everywhere else I go!) Can anyone provide neighborhood recommendations for those of us who are playing tourist next July (and celebrating a birthday!)? I am staying near Old Town and am familiar with some of the places on Rue Crescent. In an earlier post someone mentioned dive bars...

I used my last presales code to buy 1 ticket. It seems like people were buying more GA's than is usually allowed on TM with codes, so I went back in just to see. It accepted the order for 1 more GA ticket. Separate order confirmation, etc.
I was just testing it out, then went ahead and bought it. Do you think they'll cancel one b/c i went over my presales code limit?
I figure I can trade it for some other show, or potential night#2 in Montreal, or just sell it at face here.
anyone else get more than their presales code allottment?
'fess up :reject:

I used my last presales code to buy 1 ticket. It seems like people were buying more GA's than is usually allowed on TM with codes, so I went back in just to see. It accepted the order for 1 more GA ticket. Separate order confirmation, etc.
I was just testing it out, then went ahead and bought it. Do you think they'll cancel one b/c i went over my presales code limit?
I figure I can trade it for some other show, or potential night#2 in Montreal, or just sell it at face here.
anyone else get more than their presales code allottment?
'fess up :reject:

if you get stuck with an extra ticket, please feel free to sell if to me :D :wave:

(if that is the case, ebay is going to be overloaded with U2 GA's for Montreal shortly....it's already on its way!)

Didn;t that happen to a few people with Vegas? The presales went through another ticket outlet, and it didn;t "use" up a ticket from their codes. So they could potentially use it again for another show. I'll wait and see if I get 2 in the mail, but if there's no Montreal2 to trade for, I'll throw it out there for face :D

EDIT: So, I can't count, OR remember what i'm buying in the general sales vs. presales.
Had the extra presales code for the 2nd montreal ticket, turns out. Guess I'll have two of them, oops, and NOW no more code :)

shannon, i got an error first try. i tried again and it went through.

or call the number on the back of the card to see why the transaction isnt going through, they might have to release it for a specific amount (about $70 per GA, incl fees and shipping).

Find something downtown or in Old Montreal (near downtown)
I know someone posted some hotel suggestions awhile back--this thread has blown up and I can't find the post! Ideas anyone? Thanks!

ANYONE BOOKING A HOTEL IN MONTREAL PLEASE TAKE NOTE:

Do not concern yourself with booking a hotel near the venue. You could find better deals and better hotels elsewhere. The important thing to realize is that the venue is near the intersection of two major highways on the island of Montreal.

More importantly, there is the Namur subway (metro) station right across the street. So getting there from downtown, for example, will take 20 minutes, tops. Getting back downtown, however, will be tough given the fact that everyone will be going to one station, but there are places you can hang around where you can eat or drink while the area starts thinning out.

If you aren't high maintenance, everyone from out of town should be aware that in July the university dorms in the city, particularly those at the universite de montreal and mcgill, rent out their dorms rooms to tourists at very reasonable rates. U de M would be closer to the venue, on the blue line, while mcgill is downtown, on the green line. Staying near mcgill provides easy access to crescent street, saint-catherine, saint-denis, saint-laurent, etc...

Regarding hotels, based on the experiences I had during the 1st two legs in Europe & the US, I prefer to stay close to the venue and travel back and forth for any sightseeing I plan to do rather than have any hassles getting back to the hotel after the show. Plus it was always nice to have a place close to the GA line to go back to if need be.

(Just my personal preference).

Regarding hotels, based on the experiences I had during the 1st two legs in Europe & the US, I prefer to stay close to the venue and travel back and forth for any sightseeing I plan to do rather than have any hassles getting back to the hotel after the show. Plus it was always nice to have a place close to the GA line to go back to if need be.

(Just my personal preference).

There is maybe one decent hotel near the concert venue in Montreal. There are many good hotels in the downtown and/or Old Montreal area, and getting there couldn't be easier: a 15-20 minute subway ride and the venue is across the street from the subway station.

It would make more sense for people to stay downtown, as many are planning gatherings, so that's the best option - rather than taking the subway downtown after the concert, partying, and then taking the subway back to the hotel.

Also, for anyone worried about the post-concert crush in the subway, there will be free shuttle buses that will transport people back downtown.

I agree with BoMac. The location of the Hippodrome allows people to stay downtown, as access to the "stadium" is extremely easy. It's not like people will have to travel great distances such as Boston.

There are also stores and restaurants around the Hippodrome, so if people need to take a potty break, they shouldn't have much difficulty. Plus, after the show or if staying in Montreal for the weekend, the area around the Hippodrome isn't the most culturally interesting part of the city. One would be better off downtown, in Old Montreal, or even in Mont Royal and Saint Denis.

I have no doubt you're right, I was just saying what my personal preference is, since I'll really only be there on show day and the day after.

The thought of taking any public transport after the show is totally unappealing to me, no matter how close or convenient it is and any sightseeing I'll be doing will be Saturday prior to driving back to NY.

Myriam Vallée,spokeperson for GEG has comfirm about an hour ago that a second show is in the cards.

:applaud:

Myriam Vallée,spokeperson for GEG has comfirm about an hour ago that a second show is in the cards.:applaud:

Wow that would be amazing, anyone ever done GA 2 nights in a row ? Like ... you leave the stadium after night 1 and lineup right away for night 2 ?! Not sure if my body would handle it ...

I did GA 2 nights in Foxboro. Lined up at 9 am on 9/20, 11 am on 9/21. It was exhausting, but to me, worth it. Wound up with a sweet spot on the outer rail on Adam's side both nights. Felt like someone had run me over a few times though. :lol: :crack:

Journal de Qu?bec ? Arts et spectacles - Un deuxi?me concert n?est pas exclu

Le Groupe spectacles Gillett affirme qu’il est « envisageable » que U2 donne un deuxième concert à Montréal, en juillet prochain.

Tout en spécifiant que « c’était loin d’être fait », Myriam Vallée, porte-parole de Gillett (GEG), a signalé que cette possibilité était « envisageable », mais qu’il fallait d’abord attendre de « voir comment ça se passe » avec la vente de billets du concert du 16 juillet.
« Nous avons quand même beaucoup de billets à vendre, presque 70 000 », a dit Mme Vallée.
La rumeur d’un deuxième « soir », à l’hippodrome de Montréal, a commencé à circuler sur le Net, hier, au moment où les premiers billets commençaient à trouver preneurs. Une première prévente, destinée uniquement aux membres du fan-club du groupe irlandais, de même qu’aux abonnés du site de GEG, s’est « très bien déroulée », a affirmé Myriam Vallée.
En effet, tous les billets qui étaient offerts, hier, ont été vendus. Il a été possible d’en acheter entre 10 h et 14 h , a signalé Mme Vallée.
Mais, assure-t-elle, même si d’autres préventes auront lieu, aujourd’hui, pour les abonnés du site de U2, il devrait rester encore de très bons billets pour la mise en vente au public, samedi. Elle a cependant refusé de dire combien de billets se sont envolés, hier, prétextant que l’organisation ne dévoilait jamais ce type d’information, notamment pour ne pas créer de grogne parmi les fans.

--

-It's possible, though at this point it's too early to say.
-Whether it happens depends upon how well the general sale goes on saturday; and there are a lot that have to be sold, about 70k; sales must be very good
-presales on tueday went very well, all that went on sale were sold, though GEG refuses to divulge exact numbers

I wish we had more French speakers around here.
Here's one French article, but it says "conceivable":

Journal de Qu�bec � Arts et spectacles - Un deuxi�me concert n�est pas exclu

google translate-

The Gillett Entertainment Group says it is "conceivable" that gives a second U2 concert in Montreal in July.

While stating that "it was far from being done", Myriam Valle, spokeswoman for Gillett (GEG), noted that this possibility was "conceivable", but he must first wait to "see how it happens "with ticket sales of concert July 16.

"We still have lots of tickets for sale, almost 70 000," said Ms. Vallée.

Rumors of a second "night" at the Hippodrome de Montréal, began circulating on the Internet yesterday, when the first tickets were beginning to find takers. The first presale, intended only to members of the fan-club Irish band, and to users of the site of GEG, was "very well," said Myriam Vallée.

Indeed, all tickets were offered yesterday were sold. It was possible to buy between 10 pm and 14 pm, said Ms. Vallée.

But, make sure she, even if other presales will take place today to subscribers of the site of U2, it should still remain very good tickets for the sale to the public Saturday.

She however declined to say how many tickets have soared yesterday, claiming that the organization never revealed such information, especially not to create discontent among fans.

She sais nothing is set in stones but the demand for yesterday pre-sell made them contact Live Nation last night.

If they add a 2nd show for Montreal, I might skip Jersey. Or Jersey will be our hang out by the soundboard show. I would really like to spend a full day in Montreal. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom