July 16th, 17th, 2010 - Montreal - Hippodrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what happened - "40 000 sièges des gradins" is 40,000 seats in stands (according to google).

Plus de 300 camions semi-remorques transporteront les 40 000 sièges des gradin
=
More than 300 trucks transporting 40 000 grandstand seats.

Forget the fact that having two shows will spoil the specialness behind the show. And they can pack a lotta people there. I used to work concert production and I am telling you there will only be ONE show. And they could get in trouble for adding a section after saying one night only.

Yes, the drive from Montreal to Jersey isn't too long, but thet trucks (the universal ones) will spend hours upon hours going thru the US checkpoints. Trust me on this, there will only be ONE show. It is a one-time, festival type, amazing performance. Perhaps maybe one worth being filmed. I agree, Montreal is the best city to see U2. I have seen them there twice and the blow every other city outta the water. Even the NYC and Boston crowds comfine. I am much looking forward to this :)

SMB
Killjoy :crack:

I dunno, but it's expensive haha. I dunno what I'd rather do, sit behind the stage for 95 bucks, or for 55 dollars probably get stuck in the back of the stadium not seeing anything

SMB
You should be ok in GA. :wink: The taller you are the better but even further back it'll thin out a bit and leave room for you to move out from behind taller people. I think I'd rather be way up front or way in the back. I imagine the middle to be more uncomfortable, squashed in with not so great viewing if taller people are in your way.
Do you guys think GA's can be had in the general sale? Debating using the last presales code or not.

I believe the "one night only" was mentioned by U2.com, not by TM. Either way, that comment was not made about any date other than Chicago and Toronto.

Newspaper ads(live nation sent?) for the Seattle show have it as "only pacific northwest performance".

Are U2 getting a piece of the future real estate deal or is their 3 million a tax break investment?

IMPORTANT QUESTION: The website says tickets will go on sale at noon Saturday Nov. 21, 2009 - Am I wrong to assume that "noon" is Eastern Standard Time??? So if I live in Central Standard Time zone I would begin trying for tickets at 11:00 a.m. (CST)????

seems like the current grandstand is not even referenced in the seating charts....maybe the $3M includes the teardown of that + the installation of the temporary grandstands....they might recoup some cost if they get reimbursed with interest on the teardown of the current grandstand.....

just seems like a business case....

ROYAL VERSAILLES HOTEL � Montreal lodging packages, Montreal Italian cuisine, Montreal lodging, tourism.

I stayed here in summer 2008 and it is very nice. It is right off of the highway 10? Doesn't it go 133>35>10? Anyways, I just went in September (different hotel..downtown) and I always forget that sequence of highways. :reject:

This hotel is right next to the Radisson Metro station. Literally, right next to it. Like a skip away. And it's also on Rue Sherbrooke. Place Versailles shopping center mall is right across the street.

The other hotel I stayed at (in Sept) was the Le Centre Montreal Sheraton in downtown off of Boulevard Rene Levesque (within eyesight is Molson Centre). Coming out of the hotel you can walk up Peel St right onto St. Catherine. The McGill metro stop there was right across the street.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=463

Places To Eat: Both times we went to Madison's which is like a NYC steak place, but with a Montreal twist. Madisons
Definitely a nice place for an Interference meet up. Lots of long tables and/or huge round tables.
5222, rue Sherbrooke Est
514 252-1221

Quick Bites: St. Hubert's. http://www.st-hubert.com/EN/Home I was so pissed that I missed this a few months ago. That dipping gravy is addictive. There's a fancier restaurant on Rue Sherbrooke as opposed to the "fast food" version.

Harvey's. This place is open to 4a.m. as are some places around Montreal. http://www.harveys.ca/eng/index.php

Relax dude, I can assure you that no disrespect was intented :)

Btw, thanks for the map of the Hippodrome. Hmmmm....it looks like "Red Zone" won't be auctioned off and will just be a flat $300. Have they ever done this in other cities (ie. applied a flat rate to Red Zone as opposed to auctioning them off)?

yep they did that on several European cities.

Looks like a lot of $250 seats!! Seems that the 2nd North America leg has mre expensive seats!

Well, I understand the expensive seats... In a newspaper (the Montreal Gazette), they say U2 invests $3 million, to create temporary stands?? Are they nuts?

MONTREAL – It’s confirmed: U2 will play Montreal on July 16.

The band will perform on the polo field at the Montreal Hippodrome, kicking in $3 million for the construction of a temporary open-air stadium to fit 60,000 to 80,000 people.

It is the only date for which U2 is not performing in a pre-existing stadium, not to mention fronting the cost of building one.

“It’s unprecedented,” said Jacques Aubé, vice-president and general manager of promoter Gillett Entertainment Group.

“It’s historic. It will be the biggest paid show in an open-air stadium in Montreal.

“After the concert, the stadium will be demolished and (the site) will become a real estate project.”

The fact that the band is building a new venue to play here is a testament to its love of Montreal, Aubé said.

But it’s also a testament to the grand scale on which a monolithic rock band such as U2 can afford to operate. Tossing in $3 million to build a stadium for a night (or maybe two – don’t discount the possibility that a second show could be added once the first one sells out, as happened in Toronto in September) is the privilege of the mighty, and wealthy. But you can bet the band is also getting bang for its buck.

Do the math and it’s easy to see that this is a money-making enterprise. Tickets for the show cost $30 to $250. Average that out to, say, $90 per ticket, with 70,000 tickets sold, and you’ve got a cool $6.3 million.

Comparable-sized shows on U2’s tour have earned between $5 and $7.5 million each in ticket sales, according to Wikipedia, citing Billboard Boxscore for its numbers; the band’s Oct. 28 show before 64,000 people in Vancouver pulled in $5.7 million, according to the site.

That’s not counting beer, food, merchandise and spinoff CD sales. Aubé said the event would inject $10 million into the Montreal economy, not counting revenues from the concert itself.

But while nobody’s working for free here, U2 is apparently doing its best to make this affordable to everyone: 55 per cent of the tickets cost less than $55, Gillett said Monday, and 85 per cent of tickets will cost $95 or less.

This despite the fact that 55 per cent of the total show budget is going toward labour costs for the building and dismantling of the site, according to Gillett. That’s a big overhead. (But, it must be noted, if the band adds a second show, that percentage goes down – with the stage already built, there’s a lot more profit coming in.)

The building of the giant stage alone – not counting the $3 million for the Montreal stadium – costs $750,000 in labour per show, according to canoe.ca, which reported that despite all the sellout crowds, U2 didn’t actually begin to pull a profit on the tour until the first North American leg ended last month.

U2 sold out every date on the tour’s first leg, which started June 30 in Barcelona and wrapped in Vancouver, seeing the band play to over 3 million fans in 44 cities and pulling in over $311 million in ticket sales alone.

While it is ostensibly called the 360° tour because of the panoramic view of the stage, the title could also be a reference to the band’s 12-year deal with promoter Live Nation. Live Nation’s 360 deals with Jay-Z and Madonna include ticket sales, merchandise, online revenues, publishing, endorsements, DVD rights and more. But U2’s contract with Live Nation is not technically a 360 deal, as it does not include publishing and the band has retained its label, Universal.

Gillett and Live Nation have been working on the possibility of a Montreal date for months. The biggest problem was finding a venue big enough to host the show (including the 150-foot-wide stage, featuring a massive steel spider-like structure) and complying with U2’s request for an open-air stadium.

The Olympic Stadium’s roof is not retractable; Jean Drapeau Park is too small; even the Hippodrome wasn’t big enough originally, which led to talks of constructing a venue specifically for the event. The temporary stadium will take two months to build and one month to strike.

“C’est assez flyé comme idée,” Aubé said. (Rough translation: “It’s a pretty wild idea.”)

The last time U2 was in town was in November 2005. The band performed two sold-out nights at the Bell Centre, with opening act Arcade Fire.

This is U2’s first North American stadium tour since 1997’s Popmart tour. Apparently Bono and his boys still have something to prove.

U2 performs July 16 at the Hippodrome. Tickets cost $30 to $250 and go on sale Saturday at noon. Call 514-790-2525 or go to GEG.

tdunlevy@thegazette.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

ROYAL VERSAILLES HOTEL � Montreal lodging packages, Montreal Italian cuisine, Montreal lodging, tourism.

I stayed here in summer 2008 and it is very nice. It is right off of the highway 10? Doesn't it go 133>35>10? Anyways, I just went in September (different hotel..downtown) and I always forget that sequence of highways. :reject:

This hotel is right next to the Radisson Metro station. Literally, right next to it. Like a skip away. And it's also on Rue Sherbrooke. Place Versailles shopping center mall is right across the street.

Other than the convenience of the metro station being right next door, I wouldn't stay here because it's way out in the eastern part of the island. :)

From here, a metro ride downtown would take about 15-20 minutes, and to the concert venue about 35-40 minutes (you have to change lines).

Oh, and it's right next to Highway 25, which if you take it going north connects to Highway 40.

u2_maquette_440.jpg

I don't think there's any auction for (RED) Zone for Montreal: I think they're just selling them for one flat rate (ie. $300 CAD). Kinda sucks too, cuz usually the closing bids have been lower than that.

I don't think there's any auction for (RED) Zone for Montreal: I think they're just selling them for one flat rate (ie. $300 CAD). Kinda sucks too, cuz usually the closing bids have been lower than that.

Probably they are trying to get as much as possible back from their $3 million investment. All stands on both sides are $250 !! and all behind stage are $95 !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom