July 16th, 17th, 2010 - Montreal - Hippodrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget the fact that having two shows will spoil the specialness behind the show. And they can pack a lotta people there. I used to work concert production and I am telling you there will only be ONE show. And they could get in trouble for adding a section after saying one night only.

Yes, the drive from Montreal to Jersey isn't too long, but thet trucks (the universal ones) will spend hours upon hours going thru the US checkpoints. Trust me on this, there will only be ONE show. It is a one-time, festival type, amazing performance. Perhaps maybe one worth being filmed. I agree, Montreal is the best city to see U2. I have seen them there twice and the blow every other city outta the water. Even the NYC and Boston crowds comfine. I am much looking forward to this :)

SMB

AMEN!!! :)

I can't wait!!! :happydance:

So like in Zurich, they are building their own venue.

Prediction: On the next tour, U2 will not only tour their own stage, but also their own personalized venue that will be set up in random fields near big cities. That will be the future. My Grandpa owns a 200 acres field in Urbana that could fit a lot of people. It's halfway between Dayton and Columbus... why the hell not?

Except that's not true: 55% of the tickets will be 55$ or less, which means a part of that will include the $30 grandstands at the back.

Ahhh ok, true...forgot about the "less" part, my bad. Still though, it's going to be a pretty chaotic situation, given that there's more GA for a venue than usual.

there's more GA for a venue than usual.

how do you know this, other than the fact that the inside of the race track is larger than a football field? What if they block of a chunk of that field or only sell the normal amount of GA's?

how do you know this, other than the fact that the inside of the race track is larger than a football field? What if they block of a chunk of that field or only sell the normal amount of GA's?

I don't...but it'd make sense given the circumstances. But who knows: maybe you're right. There are no certainties in this, I'm just going with the few details GEG has provided, that's all.

Seeing that 55% of the audience is gonna be GA, I seriously doubt it. Can't line up a bit early SMB? You might have some luck, as it's on a Friday.

It all depends on who goes with me. If my gf goes, we probably couldn't line up any earlier than 3pm. If not, I may try 10am. Would that work?

SMB

I am afraid I'd be stuck in the back. Can you see well in the back of the GA pit?

SMB

By "GA pit" do you mean the back of the inner circle, or the back of the entire GA field?

It's actually easier to see from the very back of the GA field compared to being in the middle of the GA. Once you have 5 or 10 feet of free space between you and the person in front of you, it is easy to see over their heads and see the band on the stage.

I was in the middle of the GA field for Croke I, and only caught glimpes of the band members on stage - mostly I watched the show on the screens - because I couldn't really see over the heads of the people in front of me. But for Toronto II, I was at the very back of the field next to the soundboard, with lots of free space around me, and had no problem seeing over the crowd and seeing the band on the stage.

The front of house tower is normally located at the back of stadium fields, and in this diagram it's well up from the back of the field. It could easily be 25%+ larger than a normal football field GA area, and they'll want to fill up that GA area pretty well.

The front of house tower is normally located at the back of stadium fields, and in this diagram it's well up from the back of the field. It could easily be 25%+ larger than a normal football field GA area, and they'll want to fill up that GA area pretty well.

but only as well as the fire code allows. My thought: there's a reason the soundbouth is not all the way in the back, and that is, there will not be any people behind it. So, essentially, it is the back.

but only as well as the fire code arrives. My thought: there's a reason the soundbouth is not all the way in the back, and that is, there will not be any people behind it. So, essentially, it is the back.

Directly behind it grayed out so the view isn't blocked. The back sides are colored in - there will be people back there. Croke Park has a similar large field layout (150 yds long maybe).

Croke Park with its long field:

3768374327_7be9d1e245.jpg

look how much open space there is behind the soundbooth. Even space in front of the soundbooth on the right. it will be like that in Montreal, too. And at US stadiums there was always room in the back where it was sparse. (Opinion: They will not sell so many tickets that it's packed from the front to the back. I bet the only difference in the amount of people at this show will be based on how many can sit in the stands they build.)

^Agree- the density of people may be the same, just on a larger field. Croke GA looks to have more people than the US GAs. It was very sparse next to the soundbooth - here it looks packed next to it (sides/front).

They also said 40k seats and 60k+ total. So at least 20k GAs.

GROUPE SPECTACLES GILLETT | U2 360 degrees TOUR announces a Montreal first! Friday, July 16, 2010 at the Montreal Hippodrome

mentions "40,000 grandstands" and "an open-air stadium capable of welcoming over 60,000 fans"

ehhhh. that's gotta be a typo. Press release writers often mess up.

Lets say there are 40,000 grandstands. What does the writer mean by that? 40,000 people? well, the trucks from Canada will not be carrying that. do they mean individual portions of a bench (as in, just enough for one butt)? That's too complicated to count at this time. Does he mean 20,000 bench rows? Well, that would seat much more than 40,000. And he certainly can't mean 40,000 sections of grandstand.

I think the writer just didn't know enough tabout the concert, and wrote it from some numbers that a supervisor threw at him. (and to think, these guys get paid more than journalists!) I doubt there will be more then 10,000 or 11,000 GA tickets. (which would be about 3,000 or 4,000 above an stadium).

All opinion, of course, but since everyone else is sharing, I wanted to add my two cents about press release writers (who at PR firms are on the bottom of the pay scale).

Serious question, guys.

So, how do I get hooked up with a summer job building this thing? I know people hire undocumented mexicans for construction work all the time. By then, though, I'll be documented. So, no problems there.

I would absolutely LOVE to be a part of this.

ehhhh. that's gotta be a typo. Press release writers often mess up.

Lets say there are 40,000 grandstands. What does the writer mean by that? 40,000 people? well, the trucks from Canada will not be carrying that. do they mean individual portions of a bench (as in, just enough for one butt)? That's too complicated to count at this time. Does he mean 20,000 bench rows? Well, that would seat much more than 40,000. And he certainly can't mean 40,000 sections of grandstand.

I think the writer just didn't know enough tabout the concert, and wrote it from some numbers that a supervisor threw at him. (and to think, these guys get paid more than journalists!) I doubt there will be more then 10,000 or 11,000 GA tickets. (which would be about 3,000 or 4,000 above an stadium).

All opinion, of course, but since everyone else is sharing, I wanted to add my two cents about press release writers (who at PR firms are on the bottom of the pay scale).

That press release was also translated from French to English, so something may have been lost in translation.

The promoter's own website has the same press release:
GEG / Press Releases

I think if U2 want to create a festival atmosphere, they'll have a ton of GAs.

That tells me that company has bad error checkers.

Now, I have read nowhere - not U2.com, not any news story - that said U2 wanted to create a festival atmosphere. I need to hear about it from a news source or from U2.com

That press release was also translated from French to English, so something may have been lost in translation.

That's what happened - "40 000 sièges des gradins" is 40,000 seats in stands (according to google).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom