July 12 2010 - Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia, PA)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Laura

I'll be at the game tonight too. I'm hoping for another win to add to the collection so far. If you happen to be near section 139 stop by and say hello. :wave:

I made it to the Linc for the first time on Saturday for the Union soccer game. Great game! The Linc was very nice and I can't wait to see the Claw in it.

Yeah, I think that is the plan. It's a 12 minute drive looks like. Right over the bridge. We may take the train into the city in the morning, so maybe we'll catch the subway down from there. Not quite sure.

SMB

Does anyone here know where I could get a decent Philly-style cheesesteak without going too far from the Holiday Inn inside the sports complex?

I want to try one of those out the night before the show.:D

The best Philly cheesesteaks are at Pats or Genos. They are adjacent to each other off of Passyunk Avenue. I don't think you can walk there from the hotel. It is too far.

I'll be nice and post this for anyone not familiar.

How to Order a Philly Cheesesteak at an Authentic Philadelphia Sandwich Restaurant

Tourists know they have to get an authentic Philly cheesesteak when they visit Philadelphia. Most even find their way to one of the two most famous sandwich shops--Pat's and Geno's Steaks. What many tourists don't realize, though, is that there is a very specific way to order a real Philly Cheesesteak. The lines at these restaurants are generally very long, and the ordering process has been turned into a highly efficient, assembly line procedure that keeps the lines moving at exceptional speed. Not knowing the proper Philly cheesesteak ordering procedure not only makes a tourist stand out as an outsider, it also slows the progress of the line considerably.
Difficulty: Easy
Instructions

1. Step 1
    Go to either Pat's or Geno's Steaks. They are the most famous, and for good reason. Though most Philadelphians have an allegiance to one, either is an excellent choice. They are located caddy corner from each other at the intersection of 9th Street and Passyunk Avenue.
  2. Step 2
    Get in line. Don't be dismayed by the length of the line. It moves at an incredible speed, so even if there are 20 people ahead of you, you shouldn't have to wait long.
  3. Step 3
    Expect to order your meal in two phases. At the first window, you will order your Philly cheesesteak. At the second window, you order French fries, other sides, and your beverage.
  4. Step 4
    Skip the friendly greeting at the window and don't expect one. Your Philly cheesesteak order should consist of exactly three words. The first word is a number, indicating how many cheesesteaks you want. So, if you want one, the first word is "One." The second word indicates the type of cheese you want on your sandwich. The third and final word is either "with" or "without," indicating your preference for fried onion. So, an order for the most authentic Philly cheesesteak would simply be, "One, whiz, with." That's it.
  5. Step 5
    Take your cheesesteak, which will be handed to you in a matter of second. Move down to the second window, where you can order other items and pay for your meal.

Me three when I check it out for the 1st time!

Starting to get really excited for this.

My 1st visit to Philly since 1999, 1st experience with cheese steak, and I may combine it with a night or 2 on the Jersey Shore!

Laura, you saved me from making a total New York ass of myself :lol:

Do I like fried onions? I don't know...Provolone without sounds good :D

I was going to walk down to the field when I got back from Chicago to see if they are prepared for us!

I have Phillies tickets for the 8th, so I can go and check out everything too.

I'll be nice and post this for anyone not familiar.

How to Order a Philly Cheesesteak at an Authentic Philadelphia Sandwich Restaurant

Tourists know they have to get an authentic Philly cheesesteak when they visit Philadelphia. Most even find their way to one of the two most famous sandwich shops--Pat's and Geno's Steaks. What many tourists don't realize, though, is that there is a very specific way to order a real Philly Cheesesteak. The lines at these restaurants are generally very long, and the ordering process has been turned into a highly efficient, assembly line procedure that keeps the lines moving at exceptional speed. Not knowing the proper Philly cheesesteak ordering procedure not only makes a tourist stand out as an outsider, it also slows the progress of the line considerably.
Difficulty: Easy
Instructions

1. Step 1
    Go to either Pat's or Geno's Steaks. They are the most famous, and for good reason. Though most Philadelphians have an allegiance to one, either is an excellent choice. They are located caddy corner from each other at the intersection of 9th Street and Passyunk Avenue.
  2. Step 2
    Get in line. Don't be dismayed by the length of the line. It moves at an incredible speed, so even if there are 20 people ahead of you, you shouldn't have to wait long.
  3. Step 3
    Expect to order your meal in two phases. At the first window, you will order your Philly cheesesteak. At the second window, you order French fries, other sides, and your beverage.
  4. Step 4
    Skip the friendly greeting at the window and don't expect one. Your Philly cheesesteak order should consist of exactly three words. The first word is a number, indicating how many cheesesteaks you want. So, if you want one, the first word is "One." The second word indicates the type of cheese you want on your sandwich. The third and final word is either "with" or "without," indicating your preference for fried onion. So, an order for the most authentic Philly cheesesteak would simply be, "One, whiz, with." That's it.
  5. Step 5
    Take your cheesesteak, which will be handed to you in a matter of second. Move down to the second window, where you can order other items and pay for your meal.

Thanks a lot for this, very helpful! :up:

I love having this kind of information, as I often cringe when tourists in Boston try and "be polite" at an establishment where doing so will in fact be out of place or even considered rude! These people are always the butt of a few jokes among the locals!

So we will avoid being laughed at now.

The strangest thing happened last night. You posted these instructions, and I had a dream about being in line at Genos and going up to the window and ordering with the 3 words!!!

I woke up when I was on my way to the next window to get the fries:lol::lol:

I am not joking in the least bit, and it got me even more excited for the upcoming trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom