July 11th 2011 - Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh, yeah. Maybe I can check out the box office when they open that day, so there's not last-minute rushing.

I tried that in Toronto, but they guy said "the only way you'll find out is when they scan to let you in". I was selling a pair (face value) to a lovely Venezuelan couple who were rightfully a little hesitant about buying someone else's tickets (I'm not sketchy lookin'. I swear. Ask elfa), so I suggested we go together to the box office and get them to verify. When that idea didn't work I just gave them my phone number and said to call if there were any problems. I ended up getting a nice text message just before the show thanking me for the tickets

:wink: I'm more pissed you didn't say hi to me, sounds like we were pretty close to one another..from another post..I was sayin hi to anyone within a 100 person radius and then some :lol:

I saw you guys as I was walking past when I first got there, but you were pretty far in the middle of the gated line and to be honest, I wasn't sure if you'd remember me or not ("HEY GABE!" *confused stare*). Elfa and I were lined up all the way around the other side of the Skydome. I walked around a little later in the day, but it seemed like all the first GAers had made a truce and left the line up for a little while

I saw you guys as I was walking past when I first got there, but you were pretty far in the middle of the gated line and to be honest, I wasn't sure if you'd remember me or not ("HEY GABE!" *confused stare*).

Nah I woulda remembered. I'm great with faces, never forget em. I probably wouldve asked you to remind me of your name, but hey, that's been the story all weekend. Glad you had a good time man! You definitely ended up in a great spot! :up:

I had one of those moments walking up the ramp after the show, incidentally enuff with elfa, who I didn't see after all...I saw this one dude who looked like him and this guy kept staring at me, so I almost said "hi" then realized a. this guy was shorter than elfa and b. the staring part was kindof weirding me out. So I passed. :lol:

@bruno and @jive turkey
We were just behind you guys in front of us a bit to the left was u2brother so we were all more or less in the same area. how many times bono looked at us when we were singing it was so surreal

were you guys not inside the pit? I was outside, but in the center about 3 people back from the rail. Either way, there did seem to be a lot of crowd interaction last night. It was fun to see

Just after reading this ticket scandal, I have to re-evaluate my dealings. I know I bought a Montreal friday ticket off of someone and when I went in it didn't scan. Its been so long I can't even remeber who I bought the ticket off of. It was not anyone from this board.

It could have been the same situation as sonwbunny. The security ripped it and let me through but it could have been a disaster. Especially when a moments are so vital.

I agree with Gabe that Montreal has superior audiences. But I have been saying this for many years. Kudos for for Montreal security for generally being super cool with everything and not being so uptight.

In regards to faulty ticket and pot smokers, it a concert people. Its not a prefect run event and shit is going to happen when pack 60,000 into one room. Deal with it, rely on your friends and enjoy the show.

maybe U2 concerts have become too 'kid friendly.' In reality they are suppossed to be a time when we escape all the BS that life throws us and rock out for a few hours.

the crowd was far more lively it appeared than back in 2009. maybe because RIM didn't afford to hand out 4000 GA tix this time around.

i had my back against the front soundboard rail the entire night with my uncle. it was his first U2 concert, and was the best show he's ever seen.

did the GA line get let in early like last time?

The line got in around 4:50. I have to tell a true story that is so strange that it has to be heard. So I wait from 7:30 am and met some great people and classic U2 Toronto die hards which was fantastic. But I also had to wait for a family member to come and do a ticket exchange at 4:30. The family was late and when I left the line for a few minutes to meet them the line inavaribaly went in. Luckily a righteous and great fellow GA liner took and dropped off my camera bag to Guest Services where it had been left. It is just a reminder that U2 fans are basicaly really decent people. It really helped make my night much better even though my lost place in line was very costly.

i think Interpol sounded like a bad 54:50 cover band. we were in the 600s and several fans had extra GA's.

i agree with you about some of those in the pit. lots of pretty people wanting to be seen and just kind of toe tapping.

some jerks with some black shirts...not sure what U2 slogan was printed rolled into edge's side of the pit at 8:45 and said they needed to find friends. as they moved closer to the centre, people got even more hostile to them and finally, i, being the large guy that i am, told them to turn the fuck around and stop all this lying shit about finding friends. a glare from a clearly drunk tough guy, and a smirk with a nice visible scar on my eye from a few encounters with some drunk tough guys in my time, sent this pretty boy with his nice clean shaven face away.

Never met you before Kevin but I like the cut of your jib :up:

Too many times I have been walked over for the old "...Oh I just have to say hi to my friends" Last night in in the Red Zone it was "...I have to talk to a co-worker in front of you.." I looked at him and said "...then if he is a co-worker you can talk to him tomorrow at work!"

Honestly, what gives ppl the bloody right to think they can push and bud their way in and not think what they are doing is wrong?

Lack of respect and courtesy! Not to mention the security personnel all look scared - the kid, and I call him a kid, on the outside of my Red Zone looked like a deer in the headlights.

You guys are talking about guys who are trying to stop in front of you, right?

Because there's no need to interfere with people who are legitimately just passing you to get somewhere else. If they don't belong where they eventually stop, those people in that spot will deal with it.

There are alot of people who are passing just to go to the bathroom, grab a drink, whatever. There is no reason to interfere with their movement.

I had an awesome time.

Strolled into the pit at 7 pm, no lining up all day, ended up about 5-6 deep on Adam's side. My area in the pit had a lot of room all night and was pretty freaking awesome. Plus I didn't have to bake in the heat or take a day off work.

I have not been following the tour at all so I had no idea what the setlists were. Thought the setlist was only so-so but the show itself was actually pretty good! Better than I remember it in 2009 at the Skydome.

Interpol was terrible and boring.

First U2 concert, overall amazing, if I had to do it all over again, I would defiently get GA, the posts seem to be in the way, kinda disappointed the stage wasn't in the centre & that U2 didn't play "New Years Day", anyways, Interpool was okay, most of their songs sound the same..

I was so jealous that one of the workers gave the people next to me wrist bands for the Red Zone, that was like a slap in the face for me!!

You guys are talking about guys who are trying to stop in front of you, right?

Because there's no need to interfere with people who are legitimately just passing you to get somewhere else. If they don't belong where they eventually stop, those people in that spot will deal with it.

There are alot of people who are passing just to go to the bathroom, grab a drink, whatever. There is no reason to interfere with their movement.

With 10 mins to go before they take the stage 99% of the ppl that say "I just have to go over there" are full of crap. Sorry. They have one thing on their mind and thats to push their way till they get what they want and think nobody can stop them.

Made that mistake of 'being nice' too many times. Ppl know what time the show starts, whether they gotta take a crap, etc. These are not children but grown adults.

So what business is it of yours if a person needs to leave their group and go take a bathroom break? I do it every time, and come back with 10 mins before the band goes on. I'm not stopping in front of you, so it doesn't matter to you at all. Especially if that person is clearly passing across the crowd on their way to or from an exit.

Confrontational attitudes don't do anything but cause problems. Unless the person is stopping in front of you or butting into your immediate vicinity and your neighbours need help dealing with them, better to mind your own business.

I felt bad for the super cute girl who passed out behind me during Moment of Surrender. She looked really embarrassed and out of it when security was helping her get out of the crowd. It was really hot all day and it was getting kinda muggy in the crowd toward the end. Could've happened to anyone.
Also felt bad for the little kid Bono brought onstage for Cobl. He was visibly embarrassed that he didn't know all the words when Bono had the mic next to him. Poor little guy. Though I have a hard time feeling too bad for him. Bono didn't pull me up on stage

gvox said:
Confrontational attitudes don't do anything but cause problems. Unless the person is stopping in front of you or butting into your immediate vicinity and your neighbours need help dealing with them, better to mind your own business.

This. If everyone is just cool with each other, it just makes for a much more enjoyable show. Not only for the people involved, but for the people around you too.
I caught an elbow in the face, but shit happens. I just smiled at the guy and said not to worry. He was just getting caught up in the music. No point bringing the vibe down

So what business is it of yours if a person needs to leave their group and go take a bathroom break? I do it every time, and come back with 10 mins before the band goes on. I'm not stopping in front of you, so it doesn't matter to you at all. Especially if that person is clearly passing across the crowd on their way to or from an exit.

Wait wait - back the tour bus up.

If they are ALREADY standing in line and have to leave for whatever - thats different. Hell ya - I would save their spot for them, just as I did last night where I was - no worries there.
What I am refering to is the assholes that pop up from no where, didn't stand in line, just strolled in and come up with the story that "they just need to see their friends" - clearly trying to get to the front of the Red Zone, GA or wherever.

THAT is what I am talking about.

Wendyandkevinca said:
clearly a misguided assumption that people generally respect one another. what the fuck i thinking being that misguided. i mean, i am sure when joe asshole pushed his way into the pit at 8:30 to find his friends, surely he saw mr. and ms. hard core U2 fan with a few children in tow and said, why don't i spark a big fat one since i am such an asshole, care only about myself and wish to fuck all those around me.

and for the record, i have never been to ANY U2 concert with as much pot smoking as there was last night.

the weather and humiditiy is potentially at fault also.

but yes, i guess i am a total fucking idiot to expect a little respect from people. thanks for pointing that out.

Once again, I don't smoke pot. I was in the pit as well and didn't found the weed smell to be less severe than in my other Toronto
concert experiences. Including a bizarre weed filled BNL concert.

If you wanted to guarantee a weed free experience I would recommend a seat and not the pit. You seem to have this notion of altruism that would encompass all U2 fans, make that concert goers.

Given your hostile response to my post, I don't think any if this is going to hit home and that you just wanted to rant and have a bunch of people agree.

As a married man, I can understand the severity of your concerns but if my wife had similar health concerns, I would go to every extreme to ensure her safety was guaranteed, not bitch about it on a message board the next day.

Once again, I don't smoke pot. I was in the pit as well and didn't found the weed smell to be less severe than in my other Toronto
concert experiences. Including a bizarre weed filled BNL concert.

If you wanted to guarantee a weed free experience I would recommend a seat and not the pit. You seem to have this notion of altruism that would encompass all U2 fans, make that concert goers.

Given your hostile response to my post, I don't think any if this is going to hit home and that you just wanted to rant and have a bunch of people agree.

As a married man, I can understand the severity of your concerns but if my wife had similar health concerns, I would go to every extreme to ensure her safety was guaranteed, not bitch about it on a message board the next day.

Its sad U put Kevin down - don't know the dude but I am sure if it was your wife with the issue U would have such an attitude.

What else can he do but show his frustration...??!!
Clearly a person can't tell security - what are they going to do? They are standing there making minimum wage trying to keep 60,000 plus under control.

Give me a break!

Burlington77 said:

If they are ALREADY standing in line and have to leave for whatever - thats different. Hell ya - I would save their spot for them, just as I did last night where I was - no worries there.
What I am refering to is the assholes that pop up from no where, didn't stand in line, just strolled in and come up with the story that "they just need to see their friends" - clearly trying to get to the front of the Red Zone, GA or wherever.

Gvox can speak for himself, I just think he means as long as they aren't setting up shop in front of you, no need to make the judgment call as to whether they are telling the truth or not. Just let them pass and enjoy the show

Burlington77 said:
Its sad U put Kevin down - don't know the dude but I am sure if it was your wife with the issue U would have such an attitude.

What else can he do but show his frustration...??!!
Clearly a person can't tell security - what are they going to do? They are standing there making minimum wage trying to keep 60,000 plus under control.

Give me a break!

Why is it sad? Are you seriously telling me that he should be expecting a weed free pit? What planet does that occur on?

Gvox can speak for himself, I just think he means as long as they aren't setting up shop in front of you, no need to make the judgment call as to whether they are telling the truth or not. Just let them pass and enjoy the show

With 10 min before the show starts - U get a pretty good idea who is trying to do what.

I understand exactly what you're talking about, and I actually had a couple attempt to steal my spot last night while I was saying hi to someone a few rows back. It was pretty funny what happened when I got back, but suffice to say I didn't say much and they left pronto.

I have no problem with self-policing, it's necessary. But take a person like me. Did you see me in the line? Probably not. What if I left the pit before you arrived, went to the bathroom, and then came back after you had set up? You wouldn't have known me from a person who had lined up, and you'd likely assume that I just popped up out of nowhere. I'm passing you, going straight back to my spot 1 person back on the rail! Do you see what I mean here?

Why is it sad? Are you seriously telling me that he should be expecting a weed free pit? What planet does that occur on?

I expect respect. Those who want respect give respect.

You wanna smoke-up, go see Pink Floyd.
This is U2. I pay hard-earned dough to see my fav band and have my rights to not have to breathe in that crap.

Burlington77 said:
I expect respect. Those who want respect give respect.

You wanna smoke-up, go see Pink Floyd.
This is U2. I pay hard-earned dough to see my fav band and have my rights to not have to breathe in that crap.

Expectation vs. Reality.

With 10 min before the show starts - U get a pretty good idea who is trying to do what.

I don't think that's accurate at all to be honest. Many people passed me last night, like probably 50 or so. Only on two occasions were they people who were up to no good, and exactly what I said would happen happened, once they got where they were headed they were dealt with. So it all worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom