Joshua Tree Show with the Threat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J_NP

New Yorker
Folks , this is pretty much known now , after the speech on the R'n R Hall of Fame , and the book u2/u2 I think there's a mention , so I would like to ask , do u know what's the exact show , that Bono received a threat of getting shot in the middle of Pride , he closed his eyes , when he opened Adam was blocking him from the audience ?

Last edited:
To add a bit of background to this...in 1987 Gov. Mecham of AZ recinded MLK day which started a boycott of the state. Bono may or may not have added his two cents and that's when the threat was made. Also, why he was being protected during Pride.
The funny thing is I believe this governor was removed from office in 1988.

According the book, Bono in His Own Words, it happened in L.A.

"There was a night in L.A. in the early part of the tour when we had a death threat that the police were taking very seriously indeed. Someone had sent the gun license into the U2 offices and they thought he had gotten into the venue. All of a sudden there were all these people on the stage which I really objected to. I never thought that sort of thing would bother me and, when I went out, it didn't. I just laughed it off, like The Blues Brothers - 'We're on a mission from God and we ain't finished yet.' The second night came up and the cops came up to us just before we were about to go on and said they'd made a mistake, he was coming tonight! Now we get all kinds of racist jibes because we wrote a song for Martin Luther King, or pinko jibes because we did the Amnesty International Tour. Wherever you look we're a target for the loony fringe. So the second night, we're on stage and I'm singing 'Pride' thinking, 'If someone is going to do it it will be during this number.' So I crouched down on the stage, shut my eyes and for a moment the thought of death crossed my mind. When I looked up I just saw Adam standing over me, between me and the crowd. It was a good, good moment."

I've never heard Los Angeles been referred to as "the south" but in latter retellings of the incident, Bono says the it happened in the south.

Technically L.A. is in the southern part of California, so Bono maybe was referring to it that way because of its geography. Or he didn't remember where in latter retellings of the incident. He does forget his own lyrics at times. :)

Last edited:
From what it says in the book sounds like April 18, 1987 in LA. They didn't really play in the South on the Spring leg, unless you count Texas...

Back
Top Bottom