Joshua Tree road trip in January. (Gathering)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What month works better for you?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow, guys! You obviously had an amazing time... I've been reading this, living vicariously like Purplereign, and grinning away to myself. :D :heart:

I'm not sure if I'll ever get out there... in some ways, I don't want to, just because I don't want there to be droves of people trekking out there all the time, like the ranger said. I dunno... I don't think it's selfishness. Maybe it's like climbing Everest or something... there's a safety rail or rope up there now, and while it's still dangerous, there are more people doing it, and it doesn't seem quite the same feat as the early climbers achieved, with no rope attached to the mountain and no modern equipment.
Well, that's not quite it either. :scratch:
You don't want to see a little tourist town sprouting around it, although I guess if it's in a national park, that wouldn't happen anyway.
You don't want to get out there and find swarms of people only there out of idle curiosity, dropping rubbish and ignoring the silence and the beauty that I could feel through your photos.

I don't know what I'm crapping on about. :lol: I've only had 2 hours sleep last night so I'm probably not quite sane at the moment... don't mind me... I'll probably regret posting this essay tomorrow. :reject:

Anyway, glad you all had a great time, wish I could have been there, and thanks for the wonderful pictures and stories! :hug:

Hi Ali :wave: I know what you mean about the spot. So far though even after 25 years it has remained almost pristine. Except for that plaque, and the tube, that's it. U2 fans have managed to keep the location pretty well hidden, and unlike Mt. Everest, only rabid U2 fans are going to be the only ones interested in looking for it.
One other thing tho is it's not in the National Park (Death Valley). It's public land, which is why the ranger said the plaque is still there, had it been a Park they would have removed it long ago. I think the fans who have visited before have done a very good job keeping the place as it should be. (Martha said here before that in the past it was worse, people left "tributes" everywhere and it got messy, but with the tube there now to hold stuff like that, it's better now.)

I think it's the responsibility of everyone who visits to keep the place as nice as possible, both for other U2 fans and for the benefit of that amazing landscape. We were very mindful and respectful when we were there, and hopefully everyone else is, too.

Ali, I know what you mean. I felt like it was sort of a spiritual experience that would be ruined if everyone did it.
:wave:Hi Zoo! et al whom I met!! WHAT A TRIP??!!! :hyper:
I have tons of pics and short video of JT band NOT playing "BEAUTIFUL DAY" LOL if you know what I mean.. when those girls were screaming BEAUTIFUL DAYY!! I yelled back PARTY GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" PLEASEE" I recorded that clip!! lol what a riot!!
Wanted to tell you all, THANK YOU!! I had a great time... hence the quote above...:hug: love you guys. ty so much for the greatest time... I am going to email ALL my pics and mpgs to BF1 lmao... I sure as heck don't know how to post the ton here :)
PS. I just woke up.. lol, I mean it... it took me 2 days of sleep to recoop lol!!
Hugs to you ALL!!!
Rita

Hi Rita, give the pics to BF1 and she will probably post them here.
Nice to meet you as well.
o

Hey sweetie :) I emailed them all to BF, and sent her a text, she was not able to check them out yesterday but said she would get them today... was busy I guess!! If you want you can PM me your email addy so I can forward them to you.

For anyone that was at the trip, BC, et al, please PM me your email addy so I can fwd to you all!! ((MEGA HUGS)))))))))))):hug:

Got a few pics :)

The tree trek crew (champagne toasting with our Yoda cups :D )

JT1-11-2009toast.jpg

zuropa_fit, dsmith2904, dgluvsU2, sycmioyo_ca, BonoFox1, Cleasai, FitzChivalry, RedRocksU2, bonocomet

JT1-11-2009NLOTH.jpg

great pics, bc! :hyper::heart:

after Inaugural "week" i'll return and look at the rest of the thread!:D

Got a few pics :)

The tree trek crew (champagne toasting with our Yoda cups :D )

JT1-11-2009toast.jpg

Love the cups. :lol:

one more from the trip. If we'd taken bigger vehicles it might not have taken us so long to get out there and back, but we're all concerned about the environment.

IMG_4729.jpg

:lol:

Sounds like a good time was had at Romanos. :up: I wish we had these gatherings in Europe. They sound like so much fun. :up::D

Glad everyone had a good time. Its good to see the tree is still there. Didn't realise there was a plaque. If its a way to walk to the its crazy some one carried that all the way out there. :wink: I hope to get there one day for now i will live vicariously through all your pics. Thanks for posting. :D

Last edited:
Off to see the Wizard... I mean tree.
20090111-1315a.jpg

More rock art.
20090111-1322b.jpg

At attention.
20090111-1325a.jpg

Close-up detail.
20090111-1335.jpg

More detail.
20090111-1338a.jpg

Even more detail.
20090111-1340.jpg

Me starting the long walk back home.
20090111-1509.jpg

A distant view of an Alkali Dust Storm coming off of Owens Lake. I had to head back home before the rest of the group. I ended up having to drive through this dust storm made up of salt (for the most part).
20090111-1518b.jpg

If you want to see the rest of the pictures I caught, you can check 'em out in my Photobucket.

Fitz! :hug: Thank you! That was awesome. I was fine til it got to the RIP part, then I choked up :sad:

Thanks for that :heart:

Cool video!

"U2 You're the best" written in rocks wasn't there when I was at the site last May.

Trevor, was that you with the long braid? :ohmy:

I've watched that video several times now, it's so great. I also teared up seeing the RIP in rocks. I love In God's Country with or without video, but seeing this video shot by people that I know made the song feel even more special. Again, thank you all for sharing your experience with us all. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom