Is 'Winter' THE song U2 should re-work for the new album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doesn't the structure of the song dictate that? "elevation" needs to rhyme, as it's all shouty and bouncey.

Perhaps - but if the result is mole diggin' in a hole as a sexual metaphor, then something went terribly wrong.

The mood and ethic of No Line had real promise. Personally, I would have opened it with Soon and would have had the haunting Linear verson of Winter right in the middle. That would have preserved the feel of the work.

I guarantee the band and Eno were heading in that direction until they chickened out because they felt it was too moody and mellow to have mass appeal. So they heaped a couple upbeat turds on it and completely lost the plot.

(And to those who said Bono needs to stop with metaphors... perhaps... but it's really the similes that need to be driven off a cliff badly. Some of the more subtle metaphors are brilliant.)

What, did Chris Martin invent the piano?

The intro on Linear winter is quasi strings synth. Rather similar to Coldplay's Viva la vida intro. Thus, enter the Coldplay ripoff cries from the crowd. (even if technically Eno was producing both bands at the same time...)

The piano is in the (better, I might add) Brothers' version.

Agree with you on UC.

Winter was good but Edge's guitar was way in the background. It had potential.

Hard to say there is a "new" sound he could find. AB had all of the new sounds of the Fly, MW etc. Elevation was a new vibe. What other sounds are there? I think some of the things Matt Bellamy of Muse has been doing with electro-distortion have been cool but may not be applicable to U2 at this stage.

Ideas? What would DM bring out in Edge?

Isn't that the whole point of switching off Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite trinity and the occasional minion Flood ? To get new ideas ?

Edge needs to deliver on this one. No more relying on the past or weak riffs.

The lyrics are what killed No Line, no doubt. But they still shoudve owned that morroccan theme or discarded it altogether. I personally think it sounded good on them. Not forced at all. Cedars and White as snow wouldve made way more sense. And the whole album needed a more prevalent Edge.

The word magnificent was never going to get them a #1 hit. Talking about little old ladies, atm machines, caller id, move to trash, candy floss, etc, not very inspiring or profound. The imagery those words promote is just goofy and lame. Seriously, if you were to ever hear someone call something 'Magnificent' youd look at them a little funny before you decide to take them seriously or not. Might as well write a song called 'fantastic'.

I get the song and its metaphor its just a bad word for Rock n roll's sake.

The lyrics, for the most part, is what saved NLOTH. Writing in character really worked and was a breath of fresh air. But one band member's stepping up to the game can't make up for the others, especially the guitar player. And their Batman and Robin just...not delivering like they used to.

Maybe not a smash hit like Vertigo or BD, but Magnificent was really the only single. A rose by any other name...still a superb song, regardless of the title.

the mole is a penis and the hole is a vagina.

Gosh, I always wondered about that one. :lol:

Lyrics are Pop's most successful aspect.

Hell yes.

you got my head filled with songs
you got my shoelaces undone
take my shirt go on take it off me
you can tear it up
if you can tie me down

The rest can hardly be reprinted. Those are some good lines.

Gosh, I always wondered about that one. :lol:

Hell yes.

you got my head filled with songs
you got my shoelaces undone
take my shirt go on take it off me
you can tear it up
if you can tie me down

The rest can hardly be reprinted. Those are some good lines.

THIS.... :up:
:yes:

Winter is a good song, but it will not be re-worked to be on a future U2 album. Let's nip this in the bud now before all of the Blue Crackheads start clamoring for it like they did Mercy. That shit went on for years.

I wouldn't re-work Winter, but what about Mercy?
Depends which version of 'Mercy' you're talking about. If it's the re-worked version of 'Mercy', then, yes, that re-worked version needs to be re-worked. Actually, it's better if they just trash that version. The original is amazing. I wish we could hear it with clean production rather than the ripped version that is circulating.

yeah that's the only one i like, i'm sure it'll end up being released on some bonus disc a few years down the line (if the new album still isn't out by November 2014, we'll see Mercy on the 10th Anniversary HTDAAB bonus disc.......) the new one was terrible

Back
Top Bottom