Is it legal for people to sell their tickets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
at such prices on eBay? Do they get in trouble? The auctions run their course so I guess it is OK. Not talking about morals here.... just wether or not they are ending these auctions.

I know there was an issue with bogus tickets being sold but I guess a private owner selling a hard ticket is OK.:eyebrow:

I'm not sure, I'm guessing its okay to sell them up to face value...but anything over should be considered scalping...which illegal...but we still have those stupid ticket agencies in the US...that sell tickets for way to much.

Yeah, I was going to say that I think it varies from state to state. Like I don't think you're allowed to sell a ticket in NY State for more than face+fees + something like 10%...you'll even notice some that say, NY State Law Prohibits sale higher than $____ on some auctions, depending on where the seller/buyer are from. I don't know all of the ins and outs of it though.

All states permit scalping over state lines. In other words, if you lived in Massachusetts and were selling NY tix, you can sell for whatever value you can get for them. However, in this scenario, NY buyers cannot bid over 10% of the face value. The flipside is that if you lived in NY and were selling NY tix, then you could sell at the rates noted above.

Lastly, almost everybody inflates face values on ebay to maximize profits. Capitalism... You gotta love it! :wink:

If the seller correctly enters the location/venue info, the rules that apply to that state will be listed in the auction.

I don't think eBay enforces the rules, unless the sellers are reported, since the more the tickets sell for, the more they get.

matt76 said:
I sold tickets on ebay over their face value in the UK, it is not illegal..

I bought a GA on ebay at just over face value. I would have paid a lot more for it. The seller was legit, in fact we had a great time at the show together in Barcelona, so it's not all bad news about ebay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom