Is Bono gonna be too preachy this tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's the segue between the main set and the first encore.

Think Fat Man/Lady on Popmart and the singing TV/spaceboy on ZooTV.

If it wasn't this it would have to be 9 mintues of somehting else for some of you to bitch about before it's even given to the public.

The more 'preachy' and political Bono is, the more I like him. Heck, I'd pay the same price for a ticket just to listen to him rant for two hours.

i really like the idea of the universal declaration of human rights video. i applaud u2 for that.

As long as he doesn't start talking about Terri you-know-who...:(

I don't think he'd be THAT dumb. Would be interesting to hear what he thinks of this mess. Whether or not I'd agree with him, it would be a death sentence to speak out in this right now, if the neighbors are getting death threats...

I haven't seen the news today..I don't want to see the news. (uh-oh..I can feel a rant coming on..and if you get me going, I can rant as good as him..then, I AM halk-Irish....methinks it's time for one of my infrequent trips to FYM...:wink:

AMEN< Axver..I do hope they anounce the Aussie dates soon...I have read your posts for many months and would be devestated if you didn't get tix. Too bad I'm a Yank and can't donate any of mine..getting mine was a struggle..as soon as I have time, I'll put my tix story up in that thread....

Last edited:
if you aren't interested in bono's bullshit, just leave after the opening act.
of course he is going to be too preachy.
he's bono.
i wouldn't get too wound up about it.
once he has you well and "bored" he'll turn around and take your breath away in the next moment.
but i don't think we should assume the 9 minute video will be boring.
let's see what it is before we start assuming how bad it's going to be.

Hey, for all we know the video's going to be projected onto floating clouds of shit, and there'll be LEDs shaped like lemons dancing around from the rafters so even if you don't care for the content it'll be a nice show.

I hope Bono has a lot to say, especially about this crappy war and this crappy bunch in the white house.

bonoed said:
I hope Bono has a lot to say, especially about this crappy war and this crappy bunch in the white house.

I do expect him to say something about Robert McCartney's death in Belfast...another action of the IRA that Bono hates.

I would even say he mentions it during SBS.

But that is just my guess.

bonoed said:

ya....like he's really gonna do that when he desperately needs the "crappy bunch in the white house" to help him with this emergency in Africa.

Axver said:
The more 'preachy' and political Bono is, the more I like him. Heck, I'd pay the same price for a ticket just to listen to him rant for two hours.

Same here.

My love for U2, and Bono in particular:

60%: music
40%: message/politics/vision of life

Yeah, Bono is a bit preachy, but he is pretty damn good at it. He's as talented for talking/giving speeches as he is for writing songs and singing them.

I think the speeches often bring the shows to a whole new level. But of course it's a fine line to walk, I agree the main feature of a show must be the music ultimately.

Val said:
It is what it is. A love fest that spills over to the rest of the world. If you go to see U2, expect to leave with a message whether it's presented in song, or film, or live broadcasts. There's no stopping Bono, so I wave my white flag and tag along. Gladly I might add.

Hi!

So well said......a truly devoted U2 fan.

carol
wizard2c
:|

Bono can preach to me anyday.:yes:

Because when Bono preaches, he tells the Truth - he opens your heart to the possibilities available in life.

When Bono preaches, he tries to uplift us all and to find ways to bring us all together, no matter where we live in the world. :wink:

In fact, I'll be disappointed if Bono doesn't preach.

It's one of the main things I love about him so much.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

I say preach, brother. Testify.
Let down your guard and sing a new song.
I need it now like a miracle drug.

If you go to the shows, visit the tables and read the literature. Talk to the fans around you. Make friends. Do the show, don't just let the show do you. Be the community of fans, so as Edge says, something magical can happen.

Love, Anu

martha said:
I'm hoping the video pisses off even more people than the Charleton Heston video did. :up:

I like a thinking woman's band. Too many U2 fans are too conservative. They need an eye-opening; some even need a kick in the ass.

Really? That's an interesting statement... I wonder if U2 fans tend to skew conservative or liberal or MOR?

by saying 'im sick of the talk' and 'i want more music' your disrespecting the makers of something you want more of and, displaying little respect for who they are, what they create or topics/thoughts they have strong feelings about..

its like 'ahhh fucken shut up bono...just hurry up and play streets...i like that song..'

how trashy does that sound?

you know they have strong beliefs in issues. they always have, always will and will always be trying to help us remember that we shouldnt 'throw on our blinkers' and turn a blind eye to the worlds dodgy ways.

if your best mate had something on their mind and wanted to tell you because it meant something to them - would you be a selfish toss and say 'nup! less chat, not important to me'...?

we all deserve the opportunity to express ourselves. even rock stars. :wink:

I'm hoping the video pisses off even more people than the Charleton Heston video did.

lol! I do too! I want him to go back to the white flag, that was awesome when he did that at shows, "no more war."

my sign will say "proselytize me Bono" (that won't be until Nov. at this rate since I have no tickets yet)

btw for anybody, some tickets are coming up for opening night, not great in the Terrace, but a ticket is a ticket.

I hope when Etheopia is connected to the Internet due to Bonos wishes that some of them end up here on Interference, that would be awesome!

I find it funny how many U2 fans are Bush voters - including a lot of my friends from back in college in Oklahoma. But that couldn't be farther from the truth for myself personally.

One of the reasons I love U2 is because of their humanitarianism and their particular world viewpoints. The way I look at it is this - let the man preach! If anyone's ever gonna reach out to these people and change their minds - it's Bono! :)

im not surprised...i voted bush and so did tons of people who love u2 i know and we live in new york....ive read in many publications that bono actually likes bush and loves condoleeza rice....he also said to bill o reilly that he wouldnt do what bruce springsteen and all the other musicians did touring for that loser kerry...i like bono cuz i think he appeals to both sides of the political spectrum. and i dont disagree with the human rights declaration thing. i just think its gonna be boring at a concert.

i would also add that i was dissapointed getting the deluxe cd with the book and that human rights stuff was in there with all that other crappy stuff. i couldve walked to the un from work and gotten a free copy without buying a book that looks like a bunch of 5 year olds at a pre school did it. although the dvd made up for it big time.

Last edited:
NYRangers78 said:
im not surprised...i voted bush and so did tons of people who love u2 i know and we live in new york....ive read in many publications that bono actually likes bush and loves condoleeza rice....he also said to bill o reilly that he wouldnt do what bruce springsteen and all the other musicians did touring for that loser kerry...i like bono cuz i think he appeals to both sides of the political spectrum. and i dont disagree with the human rights declaration thing. i just think its gonna be boring at a concert.

i would also add that i was dissapointed getting the deluxe cd with the book and that human rights stuff was in there with all that other crappy stuff. i couldve walked to the un from work and gotten a free copy without buying a book that looks like a bunch of 5 year olds at a pre school did it. although the dvd made up for it big time.

Just because Bono has to play nice with Bush and his buddies to get the help he needs for Africa doesn't mean he agrees with them politically.

If hearing about important issues like human rights bores you so much, think of it as an opportunity to get a beer or take a bathroom break.

I find that amazing that one could vote for bush for anything and understand what Bono has been saying for years. U2 and their words and music have always been, and always will be, the anthesis of anything of that rotten gang in the white house.

Last edited:
i can because i try to see things from both sides and not just go for one thing just because a democrat or republican said it, like most people do. thats how i think bono is...i dont think he blindly disregards anything just because a republican or conservative said it. i also dont think he accepts everything democrats or liberals say.

bonoed said:
I find that amazing that one could vote for bush for anything and understand what Bono has been saying for years. U2 and their words and music have always been, and always will be, the anthesis of anything of that rotten gang in the white house.

really?? so i guess u2 is anti liberty and anti freedom for people who under hard rule of dicatators??? im sure even bono realizes that at the end of the day, at the very worst of the iraq war, we got a horrible dicatator out of power. and were destroying the taliban in afghanistan. these countries are having votes they never had before. according to you, u2 would want saddam hussein and the taliban shouldve stayed in power and shoving people in shredders feet first if they are the antithesis of everything " that rotten gang in the white house"believe in.

bonoed, i find it funny that you say that u2 or their beliefs are so concrete to one side against bush that u can say that as a guarantee. how do u know on certain issues bono wouldnt vote conservative if he were american?? or doesnt agree with bush on some issues. you are not inside his mind 24 hours a day and you do not hang out with him.

and anyone who says that they cant believe u2 would have fans that are bush voters sounds ridiculous. just becasuse we like u2, wed have to vote exactly the way they would? or live life the way they do? if that was the case, if bono or the bandmembers kill themselves, would you? like those idiots who killed themselves after kurt cobain " killed" himself? we are all human beings and we have our own dislikes or likes. to each his own and i apologize if this thread is getting out of hand and off topic..:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom