Is Bono A Genius?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoIsMyMuse said:
^ and that's why it doesn't matter to me if Bono is a genius, because he has the power to do that. Maybe the label of genius is overrated? [/QUOT

In music: Probaby not. If you wanna make some wacked out super complex guitar solos ala Robert Fripp and Steve Howe (which I love by the way) or conduct an entire symphony orchestra in your head, then yeah, it would definitely help. But In my mind music is about emoting, which doesn't take a lot of real intelligence at all.

I'd have to say that much as I love his music I wouldn't say he's a genius. I agree with Axver in saying that The Edge is the closest thing to a genius that U2 have. Some of U2's music however sounds like it was created by a genius, but the music is the sum of the band, or let's face it, Bono and The Edge. Between them(and eno and lanois) they have created music that a genius would be proud of but individually they are not genius's.

I think that a musician can be a genius, absolutely no doubt, but it's tough to define. Bowie for example. In the 70's his stuff could be described as genius-like, but nothing since then has come close, a lot of it was borderline garbage, so can a genius have a 25 year lean spell?

i think lennon and bowie have become genius's because they write music as well. where as bono doesnt really write the song he writes the lyrics.

also lennon and bowie have changed the world in both different ways..

whatever lennon believed he was very strong about it

bowie was a rebel, music wise. his music style changing each album. He was also a genius because was good at guitar piano and saxaphone and produced lou reed's transformer album and made him famous...

both lennon and bowie were also very good artists

i agree with axver because edge is the real genius

without bono u2 would be ... okay average

but without edge there would be no u2

edge created his own guitar sound which is know the sound of u2

IMO bono is a genius of course but if were talking musicially and what theyve done i think edge gets that crown

Y'know, he could very well have a technically 'genius' IQ. He's never been tested, that we know of. Doesn't mean he'd actually show it in everysday speech or activity. After all, Bill Gates, my friend, is a billionare college dropout.

Do you think geniuses walk around thinking great thoughts all the time? Heh. Einstein, as it's been told, couldn't tie his own shoes.

Back
Top Bottom