Interference Random Movie Talk Episode VIII: First Contact with Lance's Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're full of good news today, nice.

Yes, because both of us are so enamored with the television industry.

But no, seriously, it is awesome. Good real-world experience, a chance for some creative expression, a fulfillment for my ATEC Capstone project, and a possible career opportunity if all goes well.

And also, I turn 21 is just over 23 hours. So I can make a fool of myself legally in public.

That's excellent.

I've been talking to a new friend of mine who made a feature-length film over the summer about working on his next project, kind of an action/adventure film in the vein of Temple of Doom and Big Trouble in Little China. His last film actually got some distribution and made him some money, so that's pretty cool.

We were both in the same thespian district and almost met a few times at some playwriting conventions, imagine that.

Yes, because both of us are so enamored with the television industry.

But no, seriously, it is awesome. Good real-world experience, a chance for some creative expression, a fulfillment for my ATEC Capstone project, and a possible career opportunity if all goes well.

I loathe the business, but it's way above the line stuff I'm disliking. For you, it's, as you say, a great opportunity.

That's excellent.

I've been talking to a new friend of mine who made a feature-length film over the summer about working on his next project, kind of an action/adventure film in the vein of Temple of Doom and Big Trouble in Little China. His last film actually got some distribution and made him some money, so that's pretty cool.

We were both in the same thespian district and almost met a few times at some playwriting conventions, imagine that.

Did you say you're going for a straight-up film degree, or did that shift at some point?

Did you say you're going for a straight-up film degree, or did that shift at some point?

It shifted towards Media Production in the Communications department. I'm not sure about double majoring or what minor I'd want at this point either, but I may end up trying for a graduate film program in the future, whether it be at Florida State or someplace else.

That's a good plan. Graduate school is always good for film degrees really. As you'll have a lot more access to materials and resources at that level to do whatever the hell you want creatively. I'd probably do that next actually if I could afford it.

Well done, Lance.

Speaking of television and vocation, I just finished doing some editing and coloring for an animated pilot. We should be hearing something within the next week or so.

You focused more on general media production, right, Lance? And whatever happened to that camera technology you were working on Laz?

Indeed. The screening process for the undergrad film program here baffled the hell out of me. They either wanted people who had little to no experience, but great interest, or people with interesting backgrounds and who were out-of-state, etc... Plus, the few film kids that I've met have rubbed me the wrong way, not sure if I'd like to be in that sort of elitist atmosphere.

There are enough kids I've gotten to know these past couple of weeks with access to equipment or some sort of skill that we could cobble together our own work and try our luck there.

You focused more on general media production, right, Lance?

Pretty far from "general" anything really. My B.A. is in Audio Production, with an unofficial focus on post-production sound engineering. I have a cinema studies minor though, for whatever the fuck that's worth.

Pretty far from "general" anything really. My B.A. is in Audio Production, with an unofficial focus on post-production sound engineering. I have a cinema studies minor though, for whatever the fuck that's worth.

That sounds pretty interesting. What made you want to focus on that area in particular?

I was thinking of minoring in film studies or some type of creative writing, but I'm not sure yet.

That sounds pretty interesting. What made you want to focus on that area in particular?

Funnily enough, I wanted to produce/engineer music or do live sound for the longest time. Right up until half way through my Fall semester Freshman year. Then I discovered how amazing sound design for film is, and have skewed my concentration towards that ever since. Which is convenient considering the two best/more important professors in our Audio department are Production Sound Mixers/Film Composers respectively.

ylb said:
I was thinking of minoring in film studies or some type of creative writing, but I'm not sure yet.

I'd go with creative writing honestly. If you want to be a filmmaker, that's the sort of experience and academia you'll want to immerse yourself in this early. Film studies is sort of a joke. Nothing really you can't pick up from just reading a lot of (real) film criticism and just keep watching a lot of movies. I'm glad I did it myself if only because I got to meet some great people in the communications and literature departments here. And film classes are easy.

Funnily enough, I wanted to produce/engineer music or do live sound for the longest time. Right up until half way through my Fall semester Freshman year. Then I discovered how amazing sound design for film is, and have skewed my concentration towards that ever since. Which is convenient considering the two best/more important professors in our Audio department are Production Sound Mixers/Film Composers respectively.

I'd go with creative writing honestly. If you want to be a filmmaker, that's the sort of experience and academia you'll want to immerse yourself in this early. Film studies is sort of a joke. Nothing really you can't pick up from just reading a lot of (real) film criticism and just keep watching a lot of movies. I'm glad I did it myself if only because I got to meet some great people in the communications and literature departments here. And film classes are easy.

Sounds like you got lucky there. Sound design's intrigued me as of late, but it's really editing that's been turning into my main focus. I, and I guess a bunch of other filmmakers, see it as a logical third-step in the creative process, and if I could learn to master that, that'd be cool. Then again, working with people like Michael Kahn and Thelma Schoonmaker challenge Spielberg and Scorsese into making better films while still being collaborators, so that's something to consider as well.

That's what I figured regarding film studies... I can do that with a library card and a Netflix account better than with a degree. Creative writing is up on the list for that reason, and I've also considered something like philosophy or psychology as well. Hell, maybe I could double major and minor in one of those two, I've already brought in a solid amount of credits from AP work.

Sounds like you got lucky there. Sound design's intrigued me as of late, but it's really editing that's been turning into my main focus. I, and I guess a bunch of other filmmakers, see it as a logical third-step in the creative process, and if I could learn to master that, that'd be cool. Then again, working with people like Michael Kahn and Thelma Schoonmaker challenge Spielberg and Scorsese into making better films while still being collaborators, so that's something to consider as well.

Yeah, I certainly did. Turns out I really dislike recording music. It's just a slog. And musicians are tools. So there's that.

Speaking of Ben Burtt, it's no coincidence two of the most noteworthy sound designers of the past 30 years (Burtt and Walter Murch) are also editors. I absolutely adore film editing. But as you could surmise, it's the closest part of the filmmaking process in proximity to sound design... the two are really inseparable in conception and execution. If I could end up with the clout to pull off a double-duty deal like that I'd be happy for life. I feel I've already got a really solid eye for editing film, just from all my sound experience and from watching an inordinate amount of film.

That's what I figured regarding film studies... I can do that with a library card and a Netflix account better than with a degree. Creative writing is up on the list for that reason, and I've also considered something like philosophy or psychology as well. Hell, maybe I could double major and minor in one of those two, I've already brought in a solid amount of credits from AP work.

You could probably pull that off. I think I'm still one course away from getting a communications minor too actually. At one point some advisor in the school of comm. told me that between my ATEC BA and Cinema minor I had nearly enough overlap to achieve a comm minor right then and there. Now that I'm reminded of it actually, I should probably figure out what last class I need to take and finish that off next semester too.

Tomorrow is looking like a patented Impy Solo Matinee Day. It doesn't afford me an opportunity to do the popcorn trick, but seeing movies alone is great.

The question: D9 or Summer. My only reason for seeing D9 would be good word of mouth and critical response. But I trust y'all's opinions. So which one?

That's actually really surprising. One would think you'd have been there opening day, perhaps doing the popcorn trick alone. YLB loved it, if memory serves.

I haven't seen either...either.

Here's something to consider: the director of D9's name sounds a lot like "blumpkin". Take that for what you will.

I recently told my dad what a blumpkin is. He lost it. It's also the name of my trivia team (The Blumpkins). This has to be a sign.

We'll cross those bridges when we get there. I don't want him to have a heart attack.

That was this close to being your most tender moment in here. But it was about blumpkins.

That's actually really surprising. One would think you'd have been there opening day, perhaps doing the popcorn trick alone. YLB loved it, if memory serves.

This is true. You can't go wrong with either, though.

Yeah, I certainly did. Turns out I really dislike recording music. It's just a slog. And musicians are tools. So there's that.

Speaking of Ben Burtt, it's no coincidence two of the most noteworthy sound designers of the past 30 years (Burtt and Walter Murch) are also editors. I absolutely adore film editing. But as you could surmise, it's the closest part of the filmmaking process in proximity to sound design... the two are really inseparable in conception and execution. If I could end up with the clout to pull off a double-duty deal like that I'd be happy for life. I feel I've already got a really solid eye for editing film, just from all my sound experience and from watching an inordinate amount of film.

You could probably pull that off. I think I'm still one course away from getting a communications minor too actually. At one point some advisor in the school of comm. told me that between my ATEC BA and Cinema minor I had nearly enough overlap to achieve a comm minor right then and there. Now that I'm reminded of it actually, I should probably figure out what last class I need to take and finish that off next semester too.

Yeah, editing sound is probably the most difficult part of the process for me, but probably the most rewarding, especially when editing in montage. I'm sure you could at least do a competent job right off the bat because of your experience, if not better.

That's fantastic. I've gotta meet with my adviser soon to map this all out.

Tomorrow is looking like a patented Impy Solo Matinee Day. It doesn't afford me an opportunity to do the popcorn trick, but seeing movies alone is great.

The question: D9 or Summer. My only reason for seeing D9 would be good word of mouth and critical response. But I trust y'all's opinions. So which one?

Do the popcorn trick to yourself. Don't be so lazy, waiting around for someone else to do it for you.

I liked D9 an awful lot, thought it was an interesting take on, well, lots of things. I haven't seen Summer. I'll wait for it on Netflix as it interests me but it's not really my scene.

Back
Top Bottom