Interference CD Exchange Part 2: Matchmaker, Matchmaker, Make Me a Match

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am in again.

OK here is what i am thinking would want to do Mix wise:
- Coldplay Mix (B-sides, live, not yet released stuff, radio hits, covers, collaborations, etc.)
- Electronic mixes (trance, downtempo, chillout , etc.)
- Live DJ sets
- punk mix
- live U2 mix
- totally random mix of whatever i feel like putting on a CD
- DMB mix
- Songs from soundtracks mix
- A mix of stuff from all the bands i have seen in person

What I would like
- Brit anything
- would not mind hearing a little Nick Cave
- A good Jazz/blues mix - I do not have any Jazz/blues music and do not know where to start on this
- surprise me

*edit
will send overseas

Last edited:
1.) I liked to get to know more underground bands. I'm ALWAYS searching for what I don't have. I'm talkin in the genre of Elliott Smith, Rufus Wainwright, Flaming Lips....anything good and well crafted....more on the slower side of the musical spectrum to mid-tempo (i.e. not nu metal!!) - and I am certainly not above more depressing or sad music though not exclusively that.

2.) I could make a MEAN cd or tape. The heaviest I would get is the band "Ours"...a really cool band. Most of my stuff would be mid tempo - slow. Add some hawksley workman or flaming lips to lighten the atmosphere. I could also make a heartbreaking mix for anyone who so desires or a mix that will put you in a state of deep sleep :sexywink:

possible artists on my mix:

Broken Social Scene
Elliott Smith (my favorite...I have pretty much everything)
Rufus Wainwright (him and Hawksley are the best damn canadians!)
Jeff Buckley
Hawksley Workman
Black Heart Procession (radiohead with siesta!)
Ours
Flaming Lips (genius)
Wilco
Royal City (johnny cash meets leonard cohen!)
Modest Mouse
And You'll Know us by the Trail of Dead
Kent (great alt. rock band)
Hayden

etc

Hello,

I'm home! I can now look at the list I made a few months ago about possible themes for mix CD's. I did this after I had so much fun with the last ICDE. Anyway, here's what I have to offer. Bear with me though, as my options are a bit abstract:

- Short Songs ( < 3 minutes)
- Alive and kicking!
- No Future! (pre-1980)
- Dance Dance Dance To The Radio
- Where Have I Heard That Song Before?
- When new media was the big idea
- (A Campingflight To) Lowlands Paradise (regional)

The last option is Dutch/Belgian bands (but singing in English though, so don't worry too much!) Should Meegannie wish, I can broaden it a bit (for her non-UK/non-US mix), but apart from the Netherlands, Jamaica and a little bit South-American I don't have too much non-standard...

I've said before that I have no specific request for what I want, I'd like to be surprised! But I did see a cover mix and an obscure Coldplay-mix and those do sound interesting... :sexywink:
For those wondering, I can make both tapes as CD's (even though I prefer getting CD's myself, but don't let it discourage you!). And since the Netherlands isn't too big I'll of course ship internationally.

Pax, you can read all this again in the mail I send you. :wave:
So if you are interested in one of my options (or want me to make another custom mix), shout it out!

C ya!

Marty

yertle-the-turtle said:
The Dutch thing sounds cool, if no one has any shibuya-kei or tropicalia I would quite like that, even if it was in Dutch...foreign languages = sexy :sexywink:

Believe me, the Dutch languange does not sound sexy! :D Or at least, that's what I hear of others. We have some strong pronounciation pecularities that others often make comments about (our pronounciation of a hard 'g' sounds like somebody's scratching your throat. Ask Sula if you don't believe me. :) )

C ya!

Marty

HeadsOnSticks said:
Okeeee. Someone needs to stop me next time I want to type drunk. For fuck's sake I'm embarassed for myself. Anyway sorry Khanada Rhodes. Hope I at least made you laugh. Let's do a DD duel mix cd tho, could be fun fun fun til daddy takes the T-bird away.
:laugh: that would be interesting. :hmm: although i do have like 2 gigs of dd mp3s, and i don't even download a lot of concerts...

Okay here I am:

What I can do:
U2 stuff(live concerts, rarities, macphisto calls, megamix, etc)
Best of (Rolling Stones, Sting/Police. Janis Josplin, Johnny Cash, The Clash, Fleetwood Mac, and others)
Pete Yorn and Tramp Records stuff

What I want:
Beatles
Duran Duran
80's Music
Coldplay
Sigur Ros
and basically anything!

meegannie said:
I can do CDs:

a Scottish mix (Delgados, Idlewild, Aereogramme, Mogwai, etc.)
a Welsh mix (Super Furry Animals, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Manic Street Preachers, etc.)

i'm off to figure out if i like super furry animals today (keep forgetting to check out the cds at the station)

is this supposed to happen? am i supposed to want to trade with everybody?

Definitely up for this. :)
I can only make and receive cds.

Mixes I can make:

Live U2 or Starsailor

A mix of music I like, which consists lots of acoustic/guitar British rock - New Acoustic Movement or whatever music journalists deemed it last...basically, I mean Doves, Elbow, Starsailor, Ed Harcourt, Neil Halstead, Turin Brakes, I am Kloot, Tom McRae, etc
AND
other stuff I like that might not fit into that exact category but is good (such as Massive Attack, Mojave 3, Slowdive, Nick Drake, Josh Rouse, Mull Historical Society, Delgados, Idlewild, snow patrol, etc)

Maybe a mix of Irish bands too - ash, the frames, damien rice, etc

A mix of Bob Dylan, Neil Young, other artists in the same vein

Britpop

What I'd like:
Hmm. I like so much...a Basstrap mix sounds good.
I'd also be interested in obscure/bside Coldplay stuff.
Or, bands I'm not familiar with would be good.

Okay, I have learned how to use my CD burner, so I am definitely in! :wave:

What I can make: You want Ryan Adams...I've got Ryan Adams!!!!!!! :D I can also put together some sad mixes (though, of course, there will be a little Ryan on those!).

What I'd like: I would love a mix of sad songs myself. I'm also interested in Radiohead and Coldplay because I've only heard a couple of their tracks each, and I've been curious to hear more. I know it will be hard to match everybody up though, so I am not picky...if those requests can't be met, I'm up for anything!

I would certainly enjoy some new music, but I don't think I have much to offer in return. My CD collection is "diverse" to put it politely. My sons have a rather incredible heavy metal collection, I don't suppose there are that many head bangers here.
I used to make mixture cassette tapes for my friends all the time( including bizarre home-made covers)...these days of burners and printers give you much better quality .
As always, standing on the outside looking in :wave:
what about a CD-Rom- Real Wild Child, and interactive history of Aussie Rock?

i just realised that if we're onlytalking cassette tapes, i can make a massachusetts/connecticut/vermont-area local rock mix.

hmm...I could actually make a Japanese language rock/pop mix, if anyone wants that. I've discovered a stackload of CDs my dad has of some really cool Japanese artistes, and I'm keen to make a mix.

so to reiterate...

would like:

trip-hop (mainstream or underground, doesn't matter)

tropicalia (post-bossa brazilian music)

shibuya-kei (stuff like cibo matto, pizzicato five, cornelius)

indie pop/rock (preferably british, american also welcome)

contemporary singer/songwriter

dutch rock (looks at martijin ;))

can make:

late-night mix (self-explanatory)

manchester/lancashire music (stone roses, oasis, happy mondays etc.)

saint etienne best of (most english band, poppiest, great stuff)
british guitar pop (eighties brit indie like the pastels to newer
stuff like the coral)

french pop (jazzy stuff like paris combo, sixties stuff like francoise hardy and jacques dutronc, and more contemporary sounds like stephan eicher and miossec)

japanese pop/rock (a lot like western rock but in japanese)

Last edited:
yertle-the-turtle said:
dutch rock (looks at martijin ;))

Returns a blank stare :ohmy:

:D

(goes off listening to artists good enough to compete internationally and songs in the Dutch language that may still sound good for non-Dutch speakers)

C ya!

Marty

yertle-the-turtle said:
hmm...I could actually make a Japanese language rock/pop mix, if anyone wants that. I've discovered a stackload of CDs my dad has of some really cool Japanese artistes, and I'm keen to make a mix.

Who do you have? I have a small assortment of Japanese pop/rock myself.

Yes, I also have some Max/Speed. They suck. They were immesely popular when I was in Japan though so I didnt know any better and made some purchases.

I remember hearing some L'arc-en-ciel, and I might have some Glay somewhere.

I recommend The Brilliant Green and Globe. Some Kiroro is good too.

I can make
- Tori Amos mix (which would probably be the best mix I could make since I'm a HUGE Tori fan)
- Women singers/bands mix
- Musicals (I know it's a long shot, but I love musicals so maybe there's someone out there who does too...)

I would like to hear
-Irish bands other than U2
-Up-beat/happy mix

(I can only make tapes as I don't have a CD re-writer)

yeah, I've heard some Kiroro before, covered by a Chinese artiste called Rene Liu, can't remember the song, really nice though.

Anyway, I can offer Japanese rock (in a punkish, heavy metal style, I can't think of any Western equivalent), coupled with some nice, slower-tempo, singer/songwriter music. Now be back on topic, will ye!

I'm so glad we're doing this again! :D

I could make an Wilco/Uncle Tupelo mix, or maybe a general alt-country mix. I 'spose could make a Beatles mix as well. :)

I don't really care what kind of mix I get. Surprise me. ;)

PLEASE NOTE...

I think that Saturday, May 17 will be the deadline for joining up with the ICDE (as Marty has dubbed it). So get your requests/offers in by that day. The thread will be closed after that so I can put together the database and start making matches. Once all the matches are made, we'll reopen the thread for feedback, comments, and questions.

Once again, Saturday, May 17 will be the LAST DAY for joining the CD exchange.

Thanks.

paxetaurora said:
I think that Saturday, May 17 will be the deadline for joining up with the ICDE (as Marty has dubbed it).

Hey, it was just an abbr. for the proj. This is the Net, you know. Ppl always abbr. things here! :D

C ya!

Marty (wh0 fe@r5 he'5 wr1t1ng 'h@cker' s00n)

Been thinking some more about this. I can also do an alternative mix as well. Or a good breaup cd. For the aftermath. Basically I'll do any kind of mix needed.

ok...i'm up for this as well.

what i can make:

~mixes of jeff buckley, u2, pete yorn (these 3 i'm most "literate" in...), but i can also add a bit (but not as much) of anything from the clash, radiohead, sting, and bruce springsteen, to oasis and rem. i could make a mix of my favorites too...
~i've made a few theme cds lately...and i could think up some more...right now i have "summer" and "rain//water" mixes concieved, but i'd be willing to try and think up some more.

what i'd like:
~i've been meaning to get into a few bands...wouldn't mind hearing more from: radiohead, sigur ros, beck, and the like...
~i've been hearing a lot about bands like idlewild, wilco, ryan adams etc...but i'm not at all familiar...
~i'd take any mix, really...i trust you guys' tastes...

i can make tapes or cds, but would prefer to recieve cds (but tapes are ok if there's a shortage or what have you)

i'll ship internationally as well.

i'm looking forward to this!

Oh, I thought I saw someone advertising a Talking Heads mix. I think that would be interesting as I have heard much about them, but don't have anything apart from 2 songs. Of course, getting more and more into Bruce is nice too, but I already have some of his music. (concert in 3 days! :hyper: )

And if someone is interested in the Urban Dance Squad (Dutch rock band who inspired Rage Against The Machine and, I fear :reject:, Limp Bizkit), I can make a mix of that one too (I have literally everything they've ever released officially). This band will of course also feature on the 'Words And Music From Da Lowlands' mix (renamed it slightly).

C ya!

Marty (who is still satisfied with anything he will get)

I keep adding to my mixes...I'm really excited though. :) If anyone wants to hear a great band from Wales called the Manic Street Preachers (sounds like a mix of Guns N'Roses and the Clash), I can make a mix (not recommended if you dislike a)bombast, and b)lyrics like the one in my sig). I also realised I would like a punk/post-punk/new wave CD that didn't include the Clash, the Sex Pistols and the Ramones (the big three, so-called, 'cos I'm familiar with their stuff), but other stuff like maybe Television, Stiff Little Fingers, the Undertones, the Fall, primarily 70s/80s stuff would be nice.

Edit: The Manics mix is intended for people who know absolutely nothing of the band (or absolutely nothing bar 'If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next') since I plan to include plenty of hits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom