"In A Little While Vs. If You Wear That Velvet Dress"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^heh...

Definitely Velvet Dress. It has that cool lounge vibe, and Edge's guitar work is dazzling. It just drags you in to a lulling sense of dark color and emotion. Chiming/muddy/sliding guitar, cool bass lines, lyrics...it's the total package. I find it very unique comparded to a lot of U2's songs. The first time i heard it, i just thought "this does'nt sound like anything else." Also, it reminds me of the band Morcheeba.

If you wear that velvet dress. Purely based on the line 'Its a private show, no one else gonna know' :drool: :drool:

IYWTVD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>IALW:wink:

Let's see.

In A Little While has...

- a very nice melody

- some cheesy, adult contemporary lyrics like "I've known her since she was a little girl with spanish eyes, when I saw her in a pram they pushed her by... my, how you've grown"

- terrible vocals by Bono... I don't buy the 'wanting to sound like he had a hangover' argument.

- good bridge/middle8 'scatter of light' verse

If You Wear That Velvet Dress has...

- gorgeous gorgeous guitar work by The Edge

- beautifully understated vocals by Bono

- slow, haunting, sensual bass

- very poetic and beautiful lyrics all round

- a trip hop vibe, something new for U2

Yeah, Velvet Dress!

Zootlesque said:
Let's see.

In A Little While has...

- a very nice melody

- some cheesy, adult contemporary lyrics like "I've known her since she was a little girl with spanish eyes, when I saw her in a pram they pushed her by... my, how you've grown"

- terrible vocals by Bono... I don't buy the 'wanting to sound like he had a hangover' argument.

- good bridge/middle8 'scatter of light' verse

If You Wear That Velvet Dress has...

- gorgeous gorgeous guitar work by The Edge

- beautifully understated vocals by Bono

- slow, haunting, sensual bass

- very poetic and beautiful lyrics all round

- a trip hop vibe, something new for U2

Yeah, Velvet Dress!

:yes:

Both have good melodies. Both have new teritorry musically. And a much, much better vocal on IALW that really helps underline the lyrics. (Yes, adult men making adult music. Gasp!)

He didn't "want to sound like he had a hangover", he did the vocal right after a night out with friends.

Velvet Dress by a mile...that song is so gorgeous and sensual. I like In A Little While, but it's just not as rich and lush as Velvet Dress.

Wow, another hard one!

Velvet Dress rules because it's the sexiest thing U2 have ever done.

In a Little While rules because it's charming, laid-back and fun to sing.

Um ... (closes eyes and points to a song blindly) ... Velvet Dress.

Dogs barking would be better than In A Little While.

So Velvet Dress wins by a huge distance, a distance roughly equivalent to that from here to the moon.

I never liked the "Pop" version of "Velvet Dress". In fact what I dislike most about it - and I can't believe I'm going to write this - is Edge's guitar work! This, IMO (note the IMO) is the one time Edge and Bono were on two different planes. Bono had this seductive song and Edge was creating God only knows what. Axver felt that dogs barking is better than "While" - oddly enough, dogs barking would sound better than that utter noise Edge created for "Velvet". Usually I love how Edge and Bono create the perfect music/melody, but not this time.

I know some don't like Bono's vocals on "While", but I always felt they were perfect for the song. Bono can and does use that scratchy voice perfectly (think of John Lennon on "Twist and Shout"). He's begging here and it works. It's a simple song, but its simplicity is also its elegance.

As such, "While" easily wins.

HOWEVER...

If we bring in the Jools Holland version of "Velvet" with Bono's additional vocals and even more seductive singing, then that dominates. That one song is Bono's Las Vegas career when he's 60. ;) If he can sing that song that seductively then, he'll have people lapping it up. :yes:

Last edited:
wtf.gif

Edge's guitar work is :drool: on IYWTVD

Last edited:
doctorwho said:
In fact what I dislike most about it - and I can't believe I'm going to write this - is Edge's guitar work!

Pfft. That is the BEST part of the album version, which is much better than the shmaltzy Jools Holland version.

Zootlesque said:

Pfft. That is the BEST part of the album version, which is much better than the shmaltzy Jools Holland version.

Exactly. How can someone doesnt like Edge's solo in Velvet? Wow, I am shocked now. I know music is a matter of taste, but in this case, I am speechless. Hating Edge's guitar work in this song? :huh:

'In A Little While' has a beautiful melody, a melody I would sing to myself "in my own company", a melody I wouldn't mind to go out with ala Joey Malone. The soul that exudes from this song, especially at the end during the "slowly love" moments, is as warm as the sun itself. However, because 'Velvet' (the album version) has a guitar solo in it that Edge must have dialed up from, well, heaven itself, that is all that matters. When listening to those arpeggios, I am transported into someplace that time nor space fully exist. It's complete transcendence...and for a moment, the guitar completely disappears. And you are left in shadow and light, while the argpeggios delicately reappear...sliding notes, shimmering in and out of the ether - simply put, it's the spaces (between the notes) that do most of the talking.

As far as Bono's singing goes, I prefer his Jools Holland take - some of his finest singing ever.

Tough choice to make. Both songs are angelic - 'In A Little While' implors you to go to the heavens, while 'Velvet Dress' gives you a taste of it. I don't think one is "better" than the other.

JCOSTER said:
If your a guy, you just don't get it, the Holland version that is.:drool:

Maybe... :wink:

But I really don't like the Jools Holland version. It's awful! Too over the top, totally destroys the main purpose of an understated song like Velvet Dress. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom