i'm not sure where my life is going

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
i need help, i don't know if things are going the right way right now...i'm 21...i'm a college student about to enter my 3rd year...problem is, my classes havnt gone so well and i still have so much to finish, im worried its going to take so long to finish college and i dont want to be in school still in my mid 20's...the school moved the hierarchy of classes around (needing to take one class to take the next) and are offering them some when im not here (like summer) i really want to move to new york but dont know what college will accept me the way things have been going. im generally optimistic, but this is on my mind and its a crisis to me. how should i handle the upcoming fall semester???

:hug:
Probably not what you want to hear, but University/college isn't everything. Just take things as they come... I don't know exactly how colleges work in the US, but there should be a way to do what you want. (Even if it means taking longer to do the course, or transferring from another course halfway through...?) :shrug:

Hang in there :)

Hey I'm 26 and I just went back to college after not having gone for 2 years....it could be worse. You aren't supposed to know what you're doing with your life at 21! You'll figure it out, don't worry and don't sweat how long it takes not that many finish in 4 years anymore anyways...

oh man, i was in your spot back when i was in college. it was tough. i was immature (went right out of high school), and didn't take college seriously, and graduated with a crap gpa. on the plus side though, now im in a field that i love(d), which is completely unrelated to my bachelor's degree, and next month i'll be getting my master's degree.

if you feeling confused, why not take some time off? i got a little carried away, and ended up getting kicked out of college. but that was probably the best thing for me. for a whole semester i worked and took courses at a local community college (they didn't count toward my degree since i was on suspension, but they still kept me in the "school" mindset). after seeing my friends going back to school leaving me behind, and then getting a taste of the "outside world" while working full time, i had a better understanding of what i wanted out of life. i went back to university with more determination and focus, and i brought up my gpa. it wasn't the best in the end, but it was not as atrocious as it was in my freshman year.

anyway, really, give yourself time to figure out what it is your really want. usually it is no problem to take a "leave of absense" or whatever from your current plan of study, and taking courses at a community college is cheaper anyway. plus you will get to meet with a counselor who can help you figure things out. i know this b/c i used to be one at a community college :)

feel free to PM or e-mail me if you have any ?s. i'm more than happy to help.

Maybe you're thinking of New York because you are looking for a way to change things up. Changing the environment doesn't always change the problem though. Just make sure you think things through and carefull consider your options before making a big decision.

These problems are all just temporary. You're doing a good thing for yourself by going to college, so be proud of that.

Back
Top Bottom