If you had to buy one effects unit....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bfoster88

The Fly
Thought i would start this up as there seems to be a hell of a lot of different equipment out there and for us mere mortals without a massive budget it can be confusing on what to get!

Obviously Edge / u2 type sounds is the goal, so if you had say a limit of £250 - £300 to spend what would you get?

Korg A3?
BOSS GT 6 / 8?
Digitech
Line 6 Pod / Pod XT live? (ok, more than £300)

Totaly agree. Budget is a major issue when trying to sound like The Edge. I would say the Pod Xt Live. You can get one used for about £250. Im going for an Xt Live, an A3 and an IPSS33b. :wink:

That being said, you can achieve reasonable sounds with just about any multi effects unit, as long as you dont mind tweaking the settings.

My current gear belongs in a charity shop window, but I just finished a cover of Love And Peace which im quite pleased with. Cheap gear, but does me about 90% of U2's songs.

I'd agree. The POD Pro XT is the way to go for flexibility on a small budget. The XT is nice because you can dial in specific delay times for the songs(an important part of getting Edge's parts to sound right).

The Digitech 2101 or 2120, or any of there other configurations, is a nice piece too. I'd still go with the XT

Chas

do you know off hand if the XT can do multiple delays. Such as short and long one like Edge? I know it has a delay built into it, just not sure if it can do multiple delays? I guess you could add a seperate delay pedal though.

I don't think Edge really uses multiple delays as often as people think. Usually, it's just a dotted eighth note pattern.
That being said, I had a POD 2.0 and it could only do one delay. Like you already said, you could of course throw a pedal in.

-Nick

Back
Top Bottom