If Aussie dad-rockers The Reubens win the JJJ Hottest 100, I will literally talk abou

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aw, he's just saying what they want to hear.

JJJ could be really great, and as much as I hate it sometimes, I'm glad it's as big as it is. It's just that they play a helluva lotta shit, always latch onto a select few crappy local bands with a certain sound, and, while it's not unique to the station, have some extraordinarily annoying hosts. Blame the current local musical climate, blame popular bad taste, whatever.

I reckon you could say the same about any station, and usually amplify it. I may not listen to Triple J, but when somebody else has the radio on I usually find the other stations even worse and Triple J is practically the only one that actually supports the local music scene. Commercial radio pretty much has to be bashed and beaten into playing Aussie content, no matter how good it is.

There are pluses and minuses but it's a good thing on the whole that the station exists. It should be better but could be worse. Putting Sarah Howells (except she can't enunciate so it sounds like 'Haus') out to pasture would be a good start. Nobody that cheerful has any business operating near my ears.

I do think the local mediocrities that they choose to champion are a frustrating aspect. Then I'll hear a song like 'Alabama' by a local band called Pony Face, fucking amazingly good but it got played like once on air. At least it got played I guess. So I learnt of it.

One area in which it should be a LOT better is not (just) the music, but the weekday forays into current affairs with that Hack program of theirs. It tows the lowest-common-denominator line and relies far too much on vox-pops and 'what do YOU think?' Who cares what a bunch of fucking idiots think? Educate your public!

Keeping things to the last minute, here's my Hottest 100 vote. I stopped at five write-ins (the latter half of the below list); they're futile entries, but I didn't want to exclude my absolute favourites from the year. I'm gutted about omitting "Phone Sex" by Blood Diamonds with Grimes, but I didn't want a sixth write-in. Surprised it wasn't on Triple J's list; I thought they would've been all over that song. Also surprised I had to write in "All Gone" by Pop Singles, but I guess they're still more Triple R fodder than Triple J.

Alpine: "Gasoline"
DZ Deathrays: "No Sleep"
Metric: "Artificial Nocturne"
Purity Ring: "Obedear"
Sugar Army: "Hooks for Hands"
Alcest: "Summer's Glory"
Pinback: "Proceed to Memory"
Voltaire Twins: "Solaris"
Pop Singles: "All Gone"
Hammock: "(Let's Kiss) While All the Stars are Falling Down"

Choosing my "tenth" (which was actually the Purity Ring track) was really hard. On sheer quality alone I would've written in "Phone Sex", but to keep the list balanced between write-ins and things that actually have half a chance, it was down to "Genesis" or "Oblivion" by Grimes, "Black, White, and Blue" by Ladyhawke, "The Theory of Relativity" by Stars, and "Obedear". In the end I figured Grimes didn't need my help and that Ladyhawke and Stars are lost causes, so I went with "Obedear" - especially as it seems to me the Purity Ring vote might be split. I'm probably completely wrong. Oh well. It's just a bit of listmaking fun and I've tried to not over-think it any more.

Nearly everyone I've seen vote for Frank Ocean has picked Super Rich Kids. It's fucking infuriating. It's nearly the worst song on the album and it's taken votes away from Pyramids, Lost, Thinkin Bout You...

Always sucks when the vote for an artist you like gets split. I was unsure what to do with Alpine. I like "All For One" and "Seeing Red" more than "Gasoline", but I didn't want to split the vote. Plus I really like "Gasoline" too. At least this year they should make the 100, unlike last year when I'm pretty sure they got thwarted by a vote split between "Hands" and "Villages".

Today was last day for votes, the 100 itself is announced on Invasion Day Australia Day, 26/01.

Oh, so I was remembering the date of the last day. Gotcha. Well, it's quickly approaching, I can wait.

Always sucks when the vote for an artist you like gets split. I was unsure what to do with Alpine. I like "All For One" and "Seeing Red" more than "Gasoline", but I didn't want to split the vote. Plus I really like "Gasoline" too. At least this year they should make the 100, unlike last year when I'm pretty sure they got thwarted by a vote split between "Hands" and "Villages".

Yes, I did the same for Kendrick Lamar... voted for Swimming Pools, because I figure that's the one with the best shot of being placed high, over my two favourites from the album Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe and Money Trees.

The "probable" results have already leaked courtesy of a website that has measured a sample of 2.7% of the votes cast based on shares on Facebook.

Google search Warmest 100 and that should get you there.

EDIT - Axver beat me to it

Anybody listening to the Hottest 100? I'm stoked Alpine came in at #31 with "Gasoline". Makes up for not making it last year.

That "Hold On" sack of crap by Alabama Shakes was truly horrendous, worst song I've caught. Though the one on right now, "Laura" by Bat For Lashes, is pretty fucking tedious too.

This may be the first Hottest 100 in which I actively hate a majority of the songs played so far. Heavy on join-the-dots kiddie pop and adult contemporary shite (hello Birds of Tokyo).

And not just the kids, all those outfits like Jango Jango (unchained), even Mike Snow or whatever, it all relies far too much on repetitive 'catchiness'. Tighter than Uncle Scrooge. No capacity for space, expanse, adventure.

Oh that Alabama Shakes song makes me want to claw my eyeballs out. Dreary.

Who the hell are Rudimental and why do they have two songs in the top twenty?

Oh my god, THIS is that "Same Love" song that seemingly everybody on Facebook has been fapping about for being so deep and meaningful and whatabeautifulmessage?

WHAT A SACK OF CRAP. It's a poorly written speech forced to go with some weak music. Who cares that the message is good when the song sucks so much?

Seriously, I'm going to fucking strum a few boring chords or plonk on the piano and mumble a speech about some important progressive political issue and BOOM! #15 HOTTEST 100 NEXT YEAR.

Looks like Kieran won't need to talk about killing himself.

Oh my god, THIS is that "Same Love" song that seemingly everybody on Facebook has been fapping about for being so deep and meaningful and whatabeautifulmessage?

WHAT A SACK OF CRAP. It's a poorly written speech forced to go with some weak music. Who cares that the message is good when the song sucks so much?

Seriously, I'm going to fucking strum a few boring chords or plonk on the piano and mumble a speech about some important progressive political issue and BOOM! #15 HOTTEST 100 NEXT YEAR.

So wait, what, did it win? I've actually got the radio on but haven't been playing the least attention.

I'm so tired of people liking songs because they have 'an inspirational/uplifting message'. If it's bad, it's bad.

It was #15. Up to #6 now, Major Lazer.

Fuck I'd forgotten how dull Tame Impala are. I hate everyone for voting them not once but TWICE into the top ten.

So I'm not the only person who finds Tame Impala a bit dull.

Interesting.

I don't hate them, but I can't really see it. Whatever it is.

And number one, drum roll puh-leez, it's The The with "Uncertain Smile".

Not really. HEY MATT LAMORE, CAN WE BLOW OUR BRAINS OUT

Phew, I won't have to idly talk about killing myself after all. At least not on this account.

What a truly terrible top ten. I admit I'm at a loss to understand the popularity of most of those songs.

On the basis of that one listen, it sounded to me like it was trying to be understated but it actually comes across as overwrought.

Back
Top Bottom