I NEED an Achtung Baby review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I really need one.. FAST.. like right now

the most complete one. Coulde be either the Sun and the ;Moon one or the one about the LOVE falling apart and it's evolution song by song

heeeeeeelp

no.. I need some kind of FAN review.. some crazy U2 fan review, those that see beyond posible undertanding until you read the thing... I've seem them here in Interference...

I just can't find them :(

should I try for you? Why not. I've been listening to it almost nonstop this past month at work.

-I think it's one of their best. My four 'best albums of all time' for U2 are Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and the new one.

-i've read, and believe myself, that 'Until the End of the World' is a song about Judas Iscariot having the last supper and then betraying Jesus - if you know the story from the bible, he got silver coins and then went and hung himself in shame. Listen to the lyrics about eating bread, drinking wine, being in the garden, kissing his lips, and 'talking about the end of the world'. I personally like the very last verse about 'drowning his sorrows', but how his sorrows took over, and then 'in waves of regret, in waves of joy, i reached out for the one i tried to destroy, you, you said you'd wait till the end of the world.' I find this very upllifting and full of hope - Judas reaching out and Jesus waiting for as long as it takes for him to reach the point of asking for forgiveness. (just my take on it)

what else? Zoo station I like, but never did actually get anything deep from - still don't quite 'get it'

Acrobat - very powerful for me. To me it seems as if the author/singer is questioning his faith perhaps. 'Don't believe what you hear, don't believe what you see, ....you can feel the enemy' - i think he's wondering why he can't find God? (just my opinion)

Then he seems to be singing about someone else - a girl - till the next verse.

'I'd join the movement if there was one I could believe in (he seems jaded to his faith) 'Yeah i'd break bread and wine (communion at most christian and catholic churches) if there was a church i could receive in' (he's seen the church perhaps turn away aids people, poor people, etc?) 'cause I need it now' (he still needs his faith even though he doesn't believe in it as much anymore - I liken this to having faith but being ticked off at 'religion' or perhaps asking God 'why' rather than telling God you don't believe anymore)

'And I must be an acrobat, to talk like this and act like that' (Bono has often said that he's a poor advertisement for God because of his swearing and drinking and that he doesn't want people to look up to him as a model christian - he's only human) I see this as him venting some of that frustration of being held up to ideals from other people and not being able or willing to live up to them.

BUT....'in dreams begin responsibilities, and I can love, and I can love, i know that the tide is turning round...don't let the bastards grind you down' - this i see as him getting ahold of his fears? his frustrrations? and taking a deep breath and carrying on. He's full of optimistic hope again at the end of the song. 'I can do this - I can love'.

and 'The Fly' - stars falling from the sky, world in darkness tonight - pretty basic concept of our screwed up world in this day and age. 'A conscience being a pest' - the little voice that tells you its wrong is a pest :D Success only happens with ambition - the 'biting nails' 'Poet being a thief and artist a cannibal' - there was a famous artist 50 years ago that said all art and poetry is recycled from someone else - nothing is new. 'The universe exploded cause of one man's lie' - i liken this to Adam lying to God and being tossed out of the Garden of Eden - the universe exploded, mankind 'fell'.

the other songs, i'm not sure about, so i won't even try.

all this is my own spin on the songs, but you should listen to them again and see what comes into your own mind.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Stars...I'm going to get you for this. :wink:

This is my interpretation of Achtung Baby, as I hear the story in the songs. Obviously some people will disagree, but I offer it up in case anyone is interested.

I’ve always believed that U2 songs can be interpreted at least twice. It is part of Bono’s genius as a lyricist that he is able to do this.

So first we have the literal interpretation – therefore, Spanish Eyes is only about Ali, and Shadows and Tall Trees is really only about Bono walking home through Dublin.

But I also believe there is a greater interpretation. One that fits into a larger theme. This is especially true of the songs on Achtung Baby. This is the story as I see it – and it does not have a happy ending.

The story begins with Zoo Station. Our protagonist is feeling on top of the world. He’s ready for everything, as he tells us repeatedly. But he’s not quite content. He is aware that there is more out there, things he should have/could have. To him the world is a ride and he’s starting to think he wants off. He is ready to settle down.

In Even Better Than the Real Thing, our hero is still seduced by the surface glitter of things, and more importantly, his own life. He “slides down the surface of things.” Yet he’s becoming more and more aware that not all is right. His relationship with the person who matters most in his life is falling apart. She is not making him happy, but miserable. As much as he tries, “give me one last chance”, it is just not working out.

By the time of One, he knows that things are dangerously close to the brink. The happy relationship he once had is all but gone. They fight all the time and try to hurt each other. Neither one of them is happy. Something has to give.

Compelled by this unhappiness, the hero looks outside himself. He longs for something to hold onto, now that his relationship is disintegrating. He yearns for something to believe in, and the faith to hold onto it. Until the End of the World and Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses show him reaching out, but finding nothing in return. Betrayal awaits those who love too much, and inevitably he will end up alone. The woman he loved before only hurts him now. Although part of him hates her, without her, he is lost.

So Cruel is our hero at his most bitter. He feels betrayed, abandoned. Alone. He has nothing. He believes in nothing. He has reached rock bottom. “We’re cut adrift/we’re still floating.” He cannot stay where he is, but he does not know where else he can go.

Desperate, he flails out. He leaves his home and his woman and deliberately he seeks out life. He wants to know what he has been missing. He wants to find the things he needs so badly. He wants to belong. He wants to find God. He wants to love and be loved. The Fly and Mysterious Ways are his attempts to find these things. “You’ve been running away/from what you don’t understand.” Like those who seek solace in drugs and living in the gutter, the hero digs through the trash heaps of the world, searching for the elusive things he will never have.

His search is doomed. In Tryin’ to Throw Your Arms Around the World, our weary hero returns home, exhausted, spent. He has nothing left to give. His woman is still there, however and he runs to her, knowing she can make him feel better, even if only for a while.

But his time away cannot heal the wounds in their relationship. Ultraviolet shows him thinking back on what they once had. Doubt consumes him. “I remember when we could sleep on stones/Now we lie together in whispers and moans.” He wonders if they will ever regain those days, and the first happiness they shared. He turns to his woman to make him feel better, because she is all he has left.

But he wonders about her, and what will become of them. In Acrobat we hear, “When I first met you girl/you had fire in your soul/what happened (to) your face of melting snow?” He questions his own place in life, where he belongs. He does not even know if he believes in God. “And I’d break bread and wine/if there was a church I could receive in.”

By Love is Blindness, our hero has surrendered. He has given in. Life has beaten him down. He accepts his lot in life. He chooses to stay where he is, in his unhappy relationship, because that is all he has. He willingly chooses blindness, rather than gazing out at the world that has passed him by. “Love is blindness/I don’t want to see/Won’t you wrap the night/around me.”

Fade out to black.

Back
Top Bottom