I Lost 40 Pounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:applaud: That's great.

I've lost 10 pounds since May 1st, and working on losing more. Oddly enough when I was reading this thread, someone brought in a sub for me. :lol:

Thanks again, y'all. As for inspiration or motivation or what-not, all I can say is that after disciplining myself for 3 weeks or so, it all became quite easy. I haven't even had the desire or the craving to go back to my old ways of eating, and I look forward to running 4 or 5 days a week, even though the temp is pushing 90 here and the humidity is quite soggy after all of the rain we've had this month. Running trails is a blast, I have discovered; quite an escape from the day's realities.

Yes, deathbeer, I am serious about the Subway part. I knew that was a way I could get started but still get enough food and a rather balanced diet. The local Subway chain franchisee would probably love me to be a spokesperson, but that's not my style. Plus, I made many of my own "Veggie Delights" for dinner at home, so I'm not officially a disciple of Jarod.

~U2Alabama

Congratulations.

I did a similar weight loss (25 pounds) four years ago.

I loss mine by eating 1300-1400 calories a day.

3500 calories = one pound

I felt much better too. I have slowed down on my 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week

I have gained about half of it back. Fast food is the worst. It gives me a headache now.

Bama,

Don?t back slide like I have.

good job Bama.
By your efforts Im sure you have inspired some members to shed some lbs.:up:

Cant write anymore, Im off to jog.:wink:

DB9

WOW!

Bama, you look great! Has z edge seen those pics? I think he'd spill his beer! :laugh:

*is very proud to hear that Bama likes Veggie Delites* You know they're my favorite. ;)

Good to see you around interland, too, by the way. Tell Mrs. Bama hello for me!

:applaud:

I'm trying to shed those winter 5 lbs so you have inspired me. I agree that eating less, eating better, and exercising more is indeed the trick, plus amino acids rock. L-carnitine and L-ornithine help speed up the process as well as sweating a lot in the steam room or sauna to speed up metabolism. :up:

Last edited:
likewise inspired

i want to knock off ten pounds

the turkey sandwich is about 280 calories

i need to eat 1300 - 1400 caloris a day to lose 2 pounds a week.

deep said:
I loss mine by eating 1300-1400 calories a day.

3500 calories = one pound

That sums it up best; that's the basic formula for me. It's quite easy to maintain a healthy diet by following that. It may take a couple of weeks to get adjusted to eating what seems like "so little," but soon you realize you can get by fine on healthier food. Green beans have about 20-40 calories per serving; I used tohate them, now I love them.

Heatland_Girl:

I have taken quite a liking to vegetarian supreme pizzas, especially the ones we make here at home. I enjoyed the vegetarian lifestyle; I could easily adapt to it permanently. But I do still ike meat occasionally. I told z edge of my results, and I said I need to be careful not to end up looking like him.

joyful_girl:

I still try to stay away from the acid. I skipped the Widespread Panic shows when they were in town 2 weeks ago.

~U2Alabama

1300 calories isn't nearly enough, on average. Women normally need approx. 1800 calories daily, men around 2500. Really. Of course, this changes depending on your muscle mass, your size, current weight, etc. You don't have to lose 2 lbs a week. 1/2 lb/week is actually quite normal.

diamond said:
what about the beers?

3376887523232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2326%3D5%3A7%3D463%3Dxroqdf%3E2323399%3A877%3C7ot1lsi

Last edited:
The_Sweetest_Thing said:
1300 calories isn't nearly enough, on average. Women normally need approx. 1800 calories daily, men around 2500. Really. Of course, this changes depending on your muscle mass, your size, current weight, etc. You don't have to lose 2 lbs a week. 1/2 lb/week is actually quite normal.

I think the "on average" part should be emphasized. If my 5' 7" frame weighed 250 lbs, THEN I would need 2,500 calories per day just to get by (see the health calculators at www.stv.org website for St. Vincent's Hospital). If I were to take in 2,500 calories per day, I would put on about 1 pound every 5-7 days. As it is, starting out at about 180 lbs, I was using closer to 2,000 calories daily, and my goal of losing 30-40 meant burning more of those than I was taking in daily. At my current weight, height and age, I use about 1,700 - 1,800 calories daily. If I had only lost 1/2 pound per week, it would have taken me 80 weeks to lose 40 pounds.

At no time did I experience any lack of energy or other symptoms of a lower than usual calorie intake; No lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting, etc. In fact, I have had more energy than I did in the past. I probably owe that to the fact that I have kept plenty of carbohydrates in my diet (this is recommended for athletes and active people). I don't think it is necessary, or perhaps even healthy, to strictly go buy the food pyramid or average calorie needs, etc. The food pyramid gives a good level of proportions, but not portions. I can get by without all of the servings of meat and such that it recommends.

I have always had a good rate of metabolism, but I have not taken advantage of it in the past 8 years or so. In high school and college, I ate even more fast food and drank more Cokes (and beer in college) than I have in recent years, but I was more active at that time in my life with exercise and work and such (mowing 7 lawns a week), and thus I did not put on a lot of weight until after college when I got a desk job. Now I am finding that it's quite easy to sustain my current weight than I thought it would be, just from running/walking/working out (and eating better).

Back
Top Bottom