I have high cholesterol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justified

Refugee
:rant:

I did it to myself. Damn it! Now I have to work very hard to lower these levels!

anyone here suffering through this? and if so, what have you done to lower it?

I know the drinking and eating fast food, high fatty foods is way out!!! No more Atkins for me!

Are there symptoms? I've never been tested(I don't think I have at least). Is it something a 25 year old girl should have tested?

there are no symptoms. I went for my routine physical a week ago and was tested for this. I am 29. My co-worker was 26 when he found out he had high cholesterol.

My boss is this really petite lady, and her cholesterol was over 600. :shocked: She was on Lipitor, and that really helped.

Im sorry to hear that Justifies :hug: When I get my thing checked out at the doctors I guess I should have them check for other stuff since I'm way beyond how I should weigh.

I'm 23 and have been tested since I was 20 (free test at work), and have always had high cholesterol. My HDL cholesterol is really high as well, though. Mine is most likely due to a genetic pre-dispostion because both sides of my family have really bad cholesterol.

I've heard eating oatmeal can help, as well as garlic, I think? :shrug:

I have never had my readings come back this high before. I eat oatmeal pretty often. I think my diet went to shit last fall when I was doing an excessive amount of drinking *beer* and eating Waffle House at 3, 4, 5 AM on the weekends! :der: :tsk:

If you want to read lots and lots of studies:

http://atkins.com/science/researchsummaries/cholesterol.html

BTW, frequent alcohol and 95% of 'fast food' does not go along with Atkins...

But you could also do you own little experiment for a few months - eat what you think is good for a few weeks, get your levels checked, then do Atkins by the book and see how/if they change :shrug:

i can't remember what my cholesterol level is off hand, but the last time i went to the doctor for my thyroid (which i do every 4 months or so) he said my cholesterol was borderline on the high side, and to watch what i eat. of course i haven't tho. i always eat fast food and frozen dinners cuz i don't cook :reject: about the only thing i've done is try to eat a little more fruit and veggies, which i know is probably not enough.

Mine is too low. I know that wine :crack: helps increase it, so I dont think wine is a good idea.

We have a Sterol enriched margarine on the market here which is some kind of wonder treatment. It's about 3 times more expensive than regular, and if you dont like marg in general it will be a problem but it might be worth looking into whatever the equivilant is in America.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/03/000308180142.htm

Also look up any websites from the American Heart Foundation. They will have shitloads of helpful advice.

*the first sentence was supposed to read my cholesterol is too low and so is my blood pressure, and wine helps increase BP...Not necessarily your cholesterol levels.

Best thing is to speak to a doctor J'fied. Especially if you want to continue with the Atkins. Good weight is another way of helping reduce it so you will need to balance it carefully especially if you are put on any medication.

Good luck with it!

well my results were due to the fact I just had my annual physical with my physican, they are the ones that gave me my results. anywho I am going to get this under control, good news is it is not as high as I thought, so it can be lowered pretty fast. :up:

Well, cholesterol is a problem in my family. I'm 19, and my cholesterol is on the high-end of the normal range. Now, given that my schedule has screwed up my metabolism and Ive gained 30 lbs since July, I'd hazard a guess to say that my cholesterol has probably waltzed its way into the low-end of the high range.

Im just going to fix it come the summer, when I can actually eat meals at regular hours during the day; and actually have time for lunch within my schedule. Plus I have an extra two months of break this year, so I'm going to start exercising like mad to stave off boredom.

I'm not too worried... I'm young and invincible. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sometime cholesterol is just high no matter how healthy you are, while more often than not it is related to diet, it isnt always. Sometime you need meds like (like Lipitor) to rectify things.

Angie - I know in the past you've said the concept of Atkins is wrong/scary/distasteful to you (or something like that!). You are diabetic though, so I assume you manage some of your diet because of that - and you have *low* cholesterol! So do mostly just watch your refined sugar intake and/or do you watch your staches, etc? I'm wondering how your diet limitations differ from that of Atkins. If you aren't comfortable talking about this though, just ignore me ;)

I've had mine tested too (I think I was 19 or 20 the first time) and it was low. But I don't eat anything that's really troublesome - I don't eat any salad dressing (this is a killer), I don't eat condiments, I don't eat mayo, butter or margarine, etc, etc.

Best non-medical thing to do is slowly switch over to a soybean-based and fish-based diet. The more fish you eat, the better, especially fatty fish like salmon. Eat lots of soybeans, flaxseeds can be thrown on your cereal or in your salads, tofu, etc. It really helps. My father has brought his level of cholesterol down from high to very low by eating fish (no meat at all) 5 or 6 out of the 7 days a week.

If you have a genetic predisposition, unfortunately, an altered diet won't really help you, but it's still healthy!

Hehe its no prob bls :) I dont want to sound so negative all the time about Atkins because in reality I still know so very little about it. Any dislike I have is based on the simple concept of minimal carbs and high protein. I'm not sure if my problem with it comes from a near lifetime of hearing doctors and dieticians drill into me the 3 carb/portion per meal diet or what, or the overall idea that a little bit of everything is what makes a good balanced diet. I would guess you guys in America know the healthy diet pyramid? Atkins seems to fly in the face of it.

A few years ago Diabetes Australia did a bit of revision of it's guidelines and instead of focusing on sugar, focused more on saturated and animal fats. I still think this applies more to Type II diabetics who face more immediate health complications as added weight increases everything a diabetic is at risk of, heart disease/failure, kidney failure, blindness (or glaucoma), risk of amputations etc. It is drummed into every diabetic that weight is bad. I think we'd have more occurance of annorexia if it weren't so difficult to develop an eating disorder while trying to manually control our insulin levels :lol:

As for my diet, again I'm not sure which has come about naturally or what resulted because of the diabetes. I was diagnosed aged 8 so I really know no different. I'm not sure how much my diet has affected my low cholesterol, at times it has been dangerously low. 2.4 I think was the lowest it was found at and is now currently only at 2.7. I'm not healthy by any means, I have excess weight I would love to shed and Atkins, despite my reservations, has me incredibly curious. With food, I grill everything. Any meat I want is always grilled. I couldn't eat something that is shallow fried. I've found meat has enough of it's own fats to cook in to prevent it drying and being inedible. I eat very little margarine and similar spreads, which ever I do use on the occasional piece of toast is either cholesterol free or salt reduced. I used to never add extra salt, and do now but figure it probably isn't going to do much harm. Many people say ceasing sprinkling salt on food is also helpful though. If I'm feeling lazy I will grill some chips instead of steaming the vegies. They're oven chips (about 1cm or 1/2 inch thick) and always cholesterol free. I dont like fried chips or fies as you guys call them :D And I can never wait 40 mins for the oven to cook them so it's still relatively fat free. If I want to cook a roast or similar, obviously some kind of oil is needed. I use those blocks of solidified cooking oil. The vegetable oil kind.

If I'm really good about it, my diet probably wouldn't differ much from Atkins as I also have Coeliacs. Thus meaning I should also cut out all gluten - flour, barley, oats, rye. All high carb coincidently. But there is only so much rice and vegetables a person can eat lol. I'm not slim at all, so I'm doing something wrong somewhere. I eat junkfood irregularly. Chocolate and take away. That is probably the answer right there lol. + I eat a lot of potato, high in starch. :huh:

I've rambled on now hehe and must be quite dull to anyone who's read all this :D Did any of that answer your questions?
Sorry if it didn't as its just wasted 5 minutes of your day otherwise!

I took butter and grease out of my diet. That means no fast food. I had already given up alcohol. Admittedly I don't know if my cholesterol is acceptable, but I have lost 25 pounds since January of 2003, something I really needed to do.

We all have low cholesterol in our family, except my mum but this was due to an illness she has apparently, we eat lots of fruit and veg, never ever have fast food, and we eat porridge or shredded wheat, we also have the special margarine that keeps cholesterol low.

:up:

I don't agree with things like the Atkins Diet, I find it easier to maintain my weight by just eating a normal diet and having a treat every now and then.

I was 21, below average weight for my age and height, I was eating somewhat healthy(for a college kid), very active and my cholesteral was through the roof. The doctor said it had to be hereditary. He said I could change a few things but more than likely I would have to go on medication. Well I took all red meat out of my diet and changed a few things and dropped it down to a normal level without medication. That was 8 years ago and I'm still good and I don't even miss steak.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom