I got sacked from my main job yesterday!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
What a way to start the week hey, man o man I am still so pissed off this job that I was doing was working as a personal assistant/secretary for a group of property marketers in their site office for a resort that they are building, basically it was working in the real estate industry, so anyway I would work Mon to Fir 10 am to 4 pm on an hourly rate, because I was a casual they could sack me easily and with only a weeks notice, so they tell me yesterday that I finish on Friday and that they are replacing me with a person on a traineeship- they way it works here in Australia is that the government has started up these traineeship things in areas like admin where they will pay the person wage, so it costs the employer nothing, mind you the wage is very minimal, but it looks as though there are less unemployed people out there and traineeships beacuse of the criteria needed in order to get one usually are filled by young people straight out of high school, so how fucked hey this big company wants to save money at the expense of me, however the whole irony of this is that whilst one person gets of the unemployment benefit, another ends up there- IE- me! cause they have taken my job!!!! anyway I have a casual job that is working on a farm too which I was working in the mornings, so at least I still have something, but I am thinking now that I might do some more studying, I am so over the whole getting shafted thing by employers- namely those big companies that have too much money........anyway sorry to rant just had to let you all know;)

That bites something very hard Oz.

I dunno about these traineeships ya know for exactly the reason you find yourself in now...but another discussion for another thread I think.

Study eh? good choice...What would you do?

Failing that, there are lots of developments being built up your way, I guess you could try one of them. In the meantime, at least you still have your mushrooms!

Still very sorry to hear it matie.
It does indeed bite.

I'm sorry, that sucks that your employer is able sack you with almost no notice like that - especially when their only reason is because they can pay someone else less to do your job!

Good luck in finding a new job, or studying, or whatever you choose to do. :)

Thanks for all of your kind words of support guys- one can always count on their interference family of friends.....anyway the studying that I am thinking of doing is adult literacy teaching, I would really love to do something where I am helping people and teaching is an easy thing to add on to an arts degree, so I am going to suss out the tafes and see what is available, and at least I love my job at the farm- the people are nice and it is outdoors which I love- I hate being in offices, so in a way me getting sacked, now that I am over my initial rage of disgust just may be a blessing in disguise:)

Wow Oz... poor you. This is why something like your program couldn't work in the U.S. What happened to you SCREAMS for a lawsuit for wrongful dismissal. For a company to fire you SOLELY to replace you with a government subsidized position would not sit well with many people for long. And, as you wrote, the entire situation is horribly ironic. The purpose of the program is to help people find jobs by helping company's. Yet your company is abusing this program by putting one of their employees on unemployment while hiring one from this program. I can assure you, if something like that happened to me here in the U.S., I wouldn't even bother going home. As soon as I left my job, I'd be headed straight to a law firm. LOL!

Best of luck to you. I'm glad you have back-up financing to help you through this.

doctorwho said:
Wow Oz... poor you. This is why something like your program couldn't work in the U.S. What happened to you SCREAMS for a lawsuit for wrongful dismissal. For a company to fire you SOLELY to replace you with a government subsidized position would not sit well with many people for long. And, as you wrote, the entire situation is horribly ironic. The purpose of the program is to help people find jobs by helping company's. Yet your company is abusing this program by putting one of their employees on unemployment while hiring one from this program. I can assure you, if something like that happened to me here in the U.S., I wouldn't even bother going home. As soon as I left my job, I'd be headed straight to a law firm. LOL!

Best of luck to you. I'm glad you have back-up financing to help you through this.

what you have said is very true Doctor but the thing is that here in Australia if you are a casual employee you can be sacked easily and there is nothing you can do about it, if I had been working as either a part time or permanent employee I could take them for un-fair dismissal and they would have to have given me three valid written warnings before they could fire me and because of this and especially where I live here on the Sunshine Coast which is a real hospitality driven economy and there are soooo many people wanting to live here, therefore our unemployment rate is higher than the national average, most employers are very reluctant to ever put anyone on as a permanent or full time employee, but anyway thems is the breaks:)

Back
Top Bottom