i feel like a lost soul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
yet again i feel like i am living a life that is different from the rest of my friends. :(

i received a voice mail last night on my cell phone from my best friend from college announcing she is pregnant with her first child. i am really happy for her and her husband, but i feel like the gap of common ground between my friends that i grew up with is widening. last night i opted to go to a concert with my cousin vs. dinner with my childhood friends. i am glad i opted for the concert because i had a great time but the problem is that i feel lost in my life.

i almost cried last night during a song because i was thinking about the things i want and the things i have lost touch with. my friends who were out at dinner last night are all married and all have children. it is an odd feeling to loose common ground with 99% of your friends. They claim they haven't changed, but actually we all have. Our goals in life are different. :huh:

i rather experience life and culture outside of atlanta, and it is something that they do not want and understand. they don't get my fascination with traveling. i almost feel like a gypsy or something. i told my friend this morning on the phone that i was on verge of crying during our conversation because while she and the rest of my friends are settled in their homes with their husbands and children, I am out partying until 4AM on the weekends, going to concerts or flying across the country to meet friends that I have met online. she told me "don't be sad. you will have a husband and family too." i told her that is not the problem. i mean i want that but that is not what i want right now. i need to get out of here :scream: .

:|

:hug:
You are far from alone in this. I have a few years on you - and have the same thoughts - all of my college friends are at considerably differnt places in their lifes. You have to remember - despite being different now - that they are still your friends. They will support you, no matter what your life brings or what your goals are. Be a gypsy - travel, see ythe world and a few concerts.

And when you do catch up to them (husband and family) - I bet they will be a little jealous that they didn't have the opportunity to run off and see the world before they settled down.

Cheers, Iris!

MissVelvet-
I promise you alot of 30 yr old married moms w 2 kids envy your postion too.:)
You will find somebody or somebody will find you.
Youre well traveled, intellegent and nice looking.:)
Dont despair.

Your Friend-
Diamond

zoney got it right Iris :yes:

Follow your heart, enjoy your life and have fun. Someday you'll look back and be damn glad you did.

btw...I'm almost 37 and one of my biggest regrets is settling down too soon. My trip to Cleveland this summer is going to be the first time I've traveled anywhere completely alone and I think that's really lame.

I feel exactly the same way, Iris. I have older, married friends telling me how lucky I am to be free and able to do what I like right now, but at the same time it all makes me very sad. :slant: It's just really weird. Take all that coupled with my current problems with my other single friends and you've got one confused and weirded out April. :crack:

zonelistener said:
I may get flamed for this but: psychic :down:

Just live your life! Guide yourself the way you want to live.

I agree with this. When you meet the right guy, then you will know when the right time is to settle down with kids.

I can really relate. I'm quite a bit older and I never thought I'd lose touch with my college friends, but...the truth is, we are all so different now, leading very different lives, and have drifted, sad to say. But not so sad either because along the way I've made so many other friends who are more in sync with my current lifestyle and it is these friends who I believe will be with me for the better part of the second half of my life. And it all happened so gradually that the transition from those old friendships to the current ones was not painful for me at all. Plus the old friends are still there and do represent for me unconditional love even though they're not in my day-to-day life.

And there is nothing wrong with going to a psychic!

that is what i love about my friends. they will be there for me no matter what. one of my friends that i have had since i was 13 told me a few weeks ago no matter what she will not allow me to loose touch with her. she is about to have her 5th child and i have not even seen her once in the 9 mths of her pregnancy. *oops* blame that on me having zero time at home and different schedules. i will bitch and moan and even threaten to move to another city or country to my friends and they get mad and tell me that they will miss me and will not allow me to go but if i were to leave they will be 100% behind me. they are mad i am not going to our 10 year high school reunion. gotta love them no matter what but yeah the paths of our current lives are different from where we were in 1993.

i feel like im lost at times too. i envy my sister, and my friends who can go about as they please, live their lives anyway they want to. i dont even keep in touch with my high school friends because im one of the few who has a daughter. i don't think i can't relate to anyone else. i've never been on a trip by myself, i've never been out of the country, never really experienced living on my own...talk about inexperience:der:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
yet again i feel like i am living a life that is different from the rest of my friends. :(

Yeah, and I can probably guess that at least part of that 99% felt pressured to get married and have children, due to cultural peer pressure. Not to be cynical, but just wait until some of them end up divorced...will you envy them then?

The last thing you should do feel peer pressured into marriage and having children like a lot of people end up doing, because then there ends up being a life of regret for so many people.

To hell with cultural tradition...

Melon

Only one of them has been divorced. She is now remarried. I don't wish divorce on them or anyone. If it were to happen to any of my friends, I will be there for them

Marriage is something I don't want to force on anyone. I know love and a relationship is a natural thing and at this time is something that I don't actively seek. I may post about being annoyed about being single but the truth is I don't even know what I want in a boyfriend right now. I may meet one guy and find something I like about him, but there is something that I am not completely happy with. I know Mr. Right is out there, but in due time he will come in to my life again but a relationship is a tiny bit of what I want right now.

My post is not about me being lonely and single; it is about me being in a completely different world than they are. My career and life goals are not the same as them. It just about my interests vs. theirs and trying to figure out what it is I want to do with my life to make me truly happy and complete. :slant:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
My career and life goals are not the same as them. It just about my interests vs. theirs and trying to figure out what it is I want to do with my life to make me truly happy and complete. :slant:
:yes: I know exactly what you mean. A lot of my friends are getting married, one has kids now...what continent I'm currently residing on is sort of a running joke amongst my friends and family...it's funny though, talking to my married friend with kids, we always go back and forth saying how much we'd like to have what the other has. I mean, I'm definitely glad I made the decisions I did, but there is something nice about at least having someone...anyway, I'm getting off-track. ;) It's great that you have these friends to stick by you - that's what's really important, knowing that you have people in your life that will unconditionally support you, no matter how different your choices get. Ultimately, you know what you want to do, and you need to do it - no regrets. I'm constantly pressured by my parents to get married and produce grandchildren :rolleyes: but that's just not what is in the cards for me now...be glad you are seeing something and experiencing life. You certainly are not alone! :)

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Only one of them has been divorced. She is now remarried. I don't wish divorce on them or anyone. If it were to happen to any of my friends, I will be there for them

Marriage is something I don't want to force on anyone. I know love and a relationship is a natural thing and at this time is something that I don't actively seek. I may post about being annoyed about being single but the truth is I don't even know what I want in a boyfriend right now. I may meet one guy and find something I like about him, but there is something that I am not completely happy with. I know Mr. Right is out there, but in due time he will come in to my life again but a relationship is a tiny bit of what I want right now.

I can relate too Iris...most of my friends are married with kids too. One friend like you, I hardly get to see...she also has 5 kids (3 from a previous marriage). She lives a good distance from me too which makes it hard too...I only get to see her a few times a year when we used to go out all the time in college. My other friend is divorced, with a 10 year old son, but she is getting married in August, and although we see eachother more frequently cuz we live within walking distance from eachother, but I'm sure I'll see a little less of her after she gets married too.

I love seeing them when I can, but it's not the same doing the family oriented things, as back when we were in school and would stay out till 4am. Sometimes I think that maybe I'm missing out on the 'singles scene' a bit because I don't get to go out as often to concerts and clubs like when we were all in school cuz I don't like to do those things as much by myself, but like you, I know Mr. Right is out there some where too.

Back
Top Bottom