I don't really get A Man and A Woman.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I understand that it's about... you know, the mysterious distance between a man and a woman heh heh. But I don't really get the point. Why is he saying "little sister"? Why little sister? And why is he siging about sleeping on the street like a stray dog?

I just don't get it I tell you!

Little sister=term of affection?
sleeping on the street like a stray dog=euphemism for being out on tour?

I think the whole song is about Bono being away from Ali doing all his business and touring etc.

Nothing real complicated here. Not much "to get".

Maybe it means he's been in the dog house lately :p

It would make perfect sense to me if it weren't for that little sister thing.

As I posted in the cheesy lyrics thread, this song has a lot in it about Bono and Ali's personal relationship. I'd say this song is more openly about Ali than any song since Spanish Eyes.

The sleeping in the street comment is one I've seen him refer to on other occasions. He said as a teenager, after his mum died and he and his dad weren't close, he spent a lot of time at other people's houses, whenever they'd have him, and that he slept on floors and sofas everywhere, "like a stray dog." He has also said that Ali's family was very good to him, taking him in like a stray, feeding him, driving him home at night. He still says that Alil's family are like his family, and her parents are like parents to him. So there's no question to me that's where that came from.

Also the "I don't want to take a chance, on losing love to find romance" part. That tells of their longterm marriage too, and how while other stars throw away the true love of their wives for a quick fling for excitement and romance, Bono doesn't want to lose real love for that.

Then there's 'brown eyed girl across the street... I thought this was the one for me, but she was already mine"

So this is one of the easiest U2 songs to 'get' if you know the background. This one is about the love and devotion of Bono and Ali.

Why the 'little sister?' well, maybe it's just a pet name or something.

thanks for that, u2kitten, it makes sense. i never had a problem with understanding the song but that gave a little bit more understanding.

shart1780 said:
I understand that it's about... you know, the mysterious distance between a man and a woman heh heh. But I don't really get the point. Why is he saying "little sister"? Why little sister? And why is he siging about sleeping on the street like a stray dog?

I just don't get it I tell you!
dont let aardvark hear you say that...its his fave:ohmy:

Axver said:

There's nothing to get, you're just a boring Interferencer.

Hey nice one, I maybe a boring interferencer but you guys who just come back with the same replies all the time are even more boring!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Hey nice one, I maybe a boring interferencer but you guys who just come back with the same replies all the time are even more boring!:wink:

Don't realize that is exactly what you are doing? People were having a discussion about the lyrics and (surprise surprise) you show up to bash the song. Everytime someone starts discussing ATYCLB and HTDAAB, even when it is not about whether or not people like the song, you show up with your same old tired replies.

bsp77 said:

Don't realize that is exactly what you are doing? People were having a discussion about the lyrics and (surprise surprise) you show up to bash the song. Everytime someone starts discussing ATYCLB and HTDAAB, even when it is not about whether or not people like the song, you show up with your same old tired replies.

Ahhh come on if you were tired of my replies why do you reply to them.:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Ahhh come on if you were tired of my replies why do you reply to them.:wink:

It amuses me. This place would be a lot less fun if I couldn't argue with people. Cheers! (takes sip of wine)

bsp77 said:

It amuses me. This place would be a lot less fun if I couldn't argue with people. Cheers! (takes sip of wine)

It's my pleasure to drag these threads out of the snoozefest that they descend into!:wink:

ImOuttaControl said:
Hmmm, Bono singing a song about love and referring to "little sister." I always found this line to be a bit incestual. :eyebrow:

Incestuous, even.

I really do hate to disturb such a logical, civil, fascinating argument about nothing in particular, but I'd like to make a comment that is actually related to the topic.

Bono (The Sexy Wilderbeest) sings "oh, sister" in Desire as well, of course. Not to mention Mysterious Ways.

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

I really do hate to disturb such a logical, civil, fascinating argument about nothing in particular, but I'd like to make a comment that is actually related to the topic.

Bono 9The Sexy Wilderbeest) sings "oh, sister" in Desire as well, of course. Not to mention Mysterious Ways.

Killjoy!:wink:

Dalton said:

:scratch:

White people....

:laugh:

Yeah, since Bono and Ali grew up together, I'd think that "little sister" is probably just a nickname for Ali. Since she'd be like a sister because of the growing up so close...or something. Maybe I'm off-base here, but that's what I've been taking it as meaning. :)

Because, we all know Bono is ALWAYS literal.

Like when he sang "with a mouth full of teeth you ate all your friends" he was clearly talking about the time the Pope ate his archbishop with some farva beans and a nice chianti.

I mean, you know it has to be literal, I think we shoiuld disect every line from every album with intense scrutiny until we can truly find out what he means.

I know what he means, and Bono is a fucking trapeze artist! to talk like this and act like that.....

Back
Top Bottom