I don't get Mysterious Ways

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshua the tree

Babyface
It's probably not my least favorite song but I don't understand why it's still so popular. It's catchy and fun but pretty much meaningless. I like the U2 music that makes me think. Myst. Ways has just never done it for me.

Is there anyone else who could live without it? If so, what would you replace it with in a setlist.

Is there anyone who can't live w/o it? If so, please explain why.

this song is pure sex. without it the setlists would be even more dull than they already are.

cg said:
this song is pure sex. without it the setlists would be even more dull than they already are.

It may actually be one of the stronger studio tracks U2 have done. It could be about sex, but ultimately about love, I think. Speaking of love, I love these lyrics...I think they're suggesting how the feelings of intimacy and love can propel people to live just as passionately in other aspects of their lives, if they accept the inherent challenge of that.

Then again, I could be on crack, and completely wrong! :happy:

One day you will look... back
And you'll see... where
You were held... how
By this love... while
You could stand there
You could move on this moment
Follow this feeling

angelordevil said:

It may actually be one of the stronger studio tracks U2 have done. It could be about sex, but ultimately about love, I think.

oh yes, no doubt. i meant that "sex" to mean it brings a very sensual element to the concerts. the guitar solo plus bono's suggestive moans are clearly simulating an orgasm.

i was at a few shows early in the tour with no with or without you and no mysterious ways and they were not sexy shows. at all. and that's no fun....

cg said:
this song is pure sex.

exactly. especially the live versions, with Edge's slide solo, and whatever the hell Bono is doing, moaning or falsettoing or singing or just doing generally sexy Bono things.

it's also probably the best dance song U2 has ever done, thanks to Adam's bassline. That song makes you want to groove.

AtomicBono said:

especially the live versions, with Edge's slide solo, and whatever the hell Bono is doing, moaning or falsettoing or singing or just doing generally sexy Bono things.

24 March 2001. :combust:

Mysterious Ways is an amazing song... I love when Adam's bassline kicks in during the pre-choruses... and obviously The Edge's sexy funk guitar. I get exactly what they were doing.
Could Achtung Baby get any better? Nay.

funky guitar riff and baseline, just a flat out great rock song you can dance to. Awesome tune.

There's a load of interpretation on the main page right now. (see excerpt below).

I love this song because it's so funky (same for Elevation) in a Sly Stone kind of manner--but more so because it is about Sex and Spirit together.

For those who try to claim Bono as a Fundamentalist, this is one place where he is a bit more subversive, suggesting the feminine aspect of the divine.

love, Anu

from the main page
Some interpretations of "Mysterious Ways" indicate this song is also a retelling of the Salomé story in both the New Testament and Wilde's play. The song's "Johnny" could be John the Baptist, or it could be anyone. Bono's explanation to Niall Stokes in "U2: Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every Song," leaves even more room for interpretation:

"'It's a song about a man living on little or no romance,' Bono says. 'It's a song about women—or a woman—but it's addressed to him.' Bono talks a bit about theology and about El Shadi—the third and least used name for God in the Bible, which translates as 'the breasted one.' 'I've always believed that the spirit is a feminine thing,' he says. 'Mysterious Ways' is not about a particular woman. It is about women in general, and the way they entrance—and often dominate—men."

Images of belly dancers during live performances seem to further link Salomé the dancer (and the song) to "Mysterious Ways." The sensual, almost hypnotic music of both tracks is enough to give away the common denominator in both songs—sex. Both of these songs speak to the compelling power of desire. That's something anyone can tell you, even without the Sunday school lesson.

I guess having lived in Northern England at the time, with the end of the baggy scene, Mysterious Ways always sounded naff and contrived to me. Still does. :madspit:

Last edited:
Mysterious Ways was better in the ZOO TV era, Edge on Piano, Bono singing "Love to love you baby" -- classic!

I could do without the lyrics, personally. LIke it instrumental.

- Wait; you mean the "I love to love you baby' thing that came from God knows what song? I'd like to hear that. Might be entertaining.

Mysterious Ways is a good song. Not great in my opinion, but defianetly a good song.

But it's better live. It needs to be included in setlists. Mysterious Ways is best live. And it gives hope to all the female audience members that they may actually get to dance with Bono. It's pretty important that they keep it as a major part of their setlist.

RademR said:
funky guitar riff and baseline, just a flat out great rock song you can dance to. Awesome tune.

My thoughts exactly. I LOVE this song. One of my favorites. I think it's one of their sexiest songs. It's Adam's bass that does it for me. It just makes me want to move.

I was really disappointed that it wasn't played at Croke 3. :sad:

Love Mysterious Ways especially the video. Seeing and hearing live is a completely new song.

Its really amazing when Bono comes around to the back of the stage and dances with you (me) nysnc for a few seconds and then continues on with the song :drool:

That's a whole new level in itself.

The middle 8 of this song is sex. Edge's funkilicious solo, Bono's vocals which slide perfectly smoothly out of his mouth...:drool:

I think it's just the most Dancable U2 song evah! :drool:

i luvs it alot!

she sees the man inside the... CHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLDDDDDDYEAH! :love:

it's my favourite live song, i was fortunate enough to hear it live, i love the slide solo, the sexy bassline, the cowbell-ish sound, bono's scatting and moaning, and last but not least edge's dance during the funky part, i saw it probably from about 5 feet, GA ellipse, and a lso love bono's reaction to it, he always finds it funny

Mysterious Ways = musical sex

Mysterious Ways (live) = multiple orgasms!

:combust:

Hope I made my opinion clear. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom