I can not believe the stupidity of some people!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julyfly

Acrobat
A Juke Joint.... can you hear the guitar SCREAM?
OKay, I'm essentially an easy going person who will take a good bit of crap until I've just had it... then Mt. Saint Mahalia explodes.
Yesterday, the temp that is currently our receptionist at the school I work for knocks on my door & says, " I noticed your screen saver... are you a big U2 fan?"
ME: Ummm, yeah, you could say I'm a HUGE fan!

She said that her best friend is a really big fan, too. She said that she herself likes them, but "after this last tour, I really don't know..."
I asked what she meant.
She said that she saw them in Chicago & Bono "freaked her out". She said he was calling himself "Jesus". Then in reference to that she said, "Um, take it easy on the drugs, fella!"
That made me so mad! I snapped, "For your information, he isn't ON drugs. Neither does he think he's Jesus. He does like to push people's buttons sometimes and the people that don't know the difference just don't get the joke. He's had difficult year in some respects, like losing his Dad to cancer. But still he finds the time to meet with every politician that he has to in order to try and make this world a little better for those that can't help themselves!"

She just stood there a minute with her eyes wide & then turned and left my office.
THE NERVE! Why would somebody say something like that when they have no clue as to what they're even talking about- and why say it to somebody that's a big fan?!?! I bet the whole "Jesus" thing was actually the intro to UTEOTW where he says, "Jesus? It's me, Judas!" Stupid girl! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

------------------
"... move on this moment... follow this feeling"
~* PLEBA-girl powers: ELEVATE!!! *~
** Official Minister of Swagger for L.E.A.T.H.E.R. **
I THINK, THEREFORE, U2

If she doesn't know what she's talking about she should get her facts straight or shut up! You knew the difference but next time she might tell someone who's not a big U2 fan and they'll believe it!

------------------
I've seen his baby blue eyes in the freeze frame so many times I feel like I'm his very best friend~~~~

when people say stuff like that it makes me indescribably mad. they're not perfect...and of course they have been weak and given in to some of them temptations of celebrity, but THEY'RE THE BEST ROCK STARS IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!!! they care for their FANS, and don't run away when someone wants an autograph and whatnot. they care about the WORLD and the FUTURE. that's why i love 'em so much...not only are their music and lyrics poetic genius, they are involved in what really matters. excuse my french, but i'd a told her to fuck off! people like that have no reason to make ignorant and ridiculous accusations...now i'm fuming...grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

------------------
Official Town Crier of Willyville

Laura: Dad, don't forget that you'll have to take mom home.
Dad: Well, Laura...y'know your mother...she's all that you can't leave behind...

*sings loudly*
"AND I KNOW IT ACHES, AND YOUR CAR IT BREAKS, YOU CAN ONLY TAKE SO MUCH...DRIVE ON"

"Here we are in our 40 ft. lemon. F*@k off!" - Bono

Ugh....it's those "fans" that make me so mad! They need to do more research!!

BTW, Hooray for you!! You stood up for our Bono!! <high five>

I love it. I think it's hilarious how upset U2 fans get over someone saying something inaccurate/insulting about U2 as a band or any of the members. Don't get me wrong, I do it too (when somebody said they kind of liked U2's old stuff, but not since Achtung Baby because Zoo TV was too "corporate"--Grrr....), but I still think it's funny. In a good way, of course. Only fellow U2 fans can understand the loyalty.
smile.gif

Originally posted by #1bonobabe:
Ugh....it's those "fans" that make me so mad! They need to do more research!!

BTW, Hooray for you!! You stood up for our Bono!! <high five>

Yeah, seriously! With "fans" like that, who needs...uh...non-fans!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Well, she's steered clear of me today.
Think maybe I scared her?
heh heh
biggrin.gif

What can I say? She got my irish up!
eek.gif

------------------
"... move on this moment... follow this feeling"
~* PLEBA-girl powers: ELEVATE!!! *~
** Official Minister of Swagger for L.E.A.T.H.E.R. **
I THINK, THEREFORE, U2

Not to stir anything up, but I just had a thought about what MAYBE she was referring to.

Maybe Bono said the line in "ONE" where he changes the words and says "did you come here to play Jesus? I did"" you know instead of "to the lepers in your bed" or whatever.

I know when I first heard that, I was like, WHAT is he referring to here? Just another perspective. I could be totally wrong but maybe you should ask her what point in the show she was exactly referring to.

Because that could totally be it. And it would be a fairly easy assumption to think that if you didn't really "know" Bono's personality.
smile.gif

Story Time

My friend from elementary school gives me crap all the time about U2. I don't really care, cos I don't like his band...it's like a trade. His defense "all the songs sound the same" so I was out with him and I was playing POP. He loved it and was like "who is this?" He was shocked when I told him...he really likes Passengers actually.

[/story time]

One thing I love about U2 is their grasp of satire. It takes a lot of intelligence to create such multi layered satire as POPmart and ZooTV did. People get mad cos they don't like what the first layer is saying. Then they realize it's satire and get mad because they feel stupid or they don't agree with the underlying message(s). It's not sarcastic satire too, which is even harder to create. It's funny, it's tragic, and it's uplifting cos you see the truth. ZooTV served as a good launching pad for satire (this is SO a tangent, sorry), as it was clearly excessive. When everyone was like "whoa! U2 is bad cos they're excessive!" Those people did not get the satire behind the excess.

------------------
I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel so I learned to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you

Originally posted by Lilly:
One thing I love about U2 is their grasp of satire. It takes a lot of intelligence to create such multi layered satire as POPmart and ZooTV did. People get mad cos they don't like what the first layer is saying. Then they realize it's satire and get mad because they feel stupid or they don't agree with the underlying message(s). It's not sarcastic satire too, which is even harder to create. It's funny, it's tragic, and it's uplifting cos you see the truth. ZooTV served as a good launching pad for satire (this is SO a tangent, sorry), as it was clearly excessive. When everyone was like "whoa! U2 is bad cos they're excessive!" Those people did not get the satire behind the excess.

omfc, can you tell i spend my time writing essays lately? i wrote 10 yesterday...going on 13 today...i can't wait for this crap to be done!

------------------
I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel so I learned to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you

Snarly Kevin said to me once, "Your favorite band sucks. The Edge looks like a gay cat burglar."
He just said it to push my buttons, so all I said was "don't start."
So he shut up. He does a really good Adam impersonation though... ah shit cat fight *runs off to break it up* and uh.. he thought my wallpaper on my computer that changes every 15 minutes was neat

------------------
~ALOTWU!~
Success is not about how much money you have, the size of your house, or who you know. It's all about how cool your pants are.

Sadly, the people who don't get it are usually people with degrees from liberal arts colleges. They should know better. Grrr.
mad.gif
biggrin.gif
Well, they should.

omfc, can you tell i spend my time writing essays lately? i wrote 10 yesterday...going on 13 today...i can't wait for this crap to be done!

Good essays too, I bet! I don't understand why people don't get ZooTV and Pop Mart either, I think both are pure genius...

Originally posted by Julyfly:
Well, she's steered clear of me today.
Think maybe I scared her?
heh heh
biggrin.gif

What can I say? She got my irish up!
eek.gif

She should be scared! If you're like me, people know (or, at least, they should) not to diss U2 to me, or they'll feel my rath...hahaha

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

This thread made me smile. My best friend and fellow U2 fan, is just like that, she will (argue / stand up for) the band / Bono with such gusto.
After the superbowl my friend who works the reception area of a business, argued with a CUSTOMER who had come in ranting because he didn't like U2's performance at half time. The argument got so heated that my friend's boss had to break it up.
eek.gif

Originally posted by EPandAmerica:
This thread made me smile. My best friend and fellow U2 fan, is just like that, she will (argue / stand up for) the band / Bono with such gusto.
After the superbowl my friend who works the reception area of a business, argued with a CUSTOMER who had come in ranting because he didn't like U2's performance at half time. The argument got so heated that my friend's boss had to break it up.
eek.gif

I like your friend!

Back
Top Bottom