Humpybong State Infants School, Margate, Brisbane, QLD, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, holy shit, this Cyclone Yasi has burst onto the scene in a big way. Thank fuck my aunt and uncle don't live in Cairns any more. They're saying this could be worse than Cyclone Tracy, though surely we're a bit more ready for cyclones than we were when Darwin got flattened.

I think this is just nature's sign that nobody should actually live in Queensland.

Perhaps I should put off my visit to Australia until QLD resurfaces.

30,000 in humpybong state infants school.

Nice.

:up:

Flying to too many states will cost heaps. We're a bit shit at affordable travel.

I reckon the problem is less the cost of flying, which nowadays really isn't too bad for the most part, and more how ridiculously expensive accommodation can be. You pay so much for so little. Want some Internet in your hotel room? $25/day thank you! :grumpy:

Watching "An Idiot Abroad". Ricky Gervais sends his nearly autistic mate Karl Pilkington on a trip round the world. Kind of fun to watch the dude completely freak out at every culture shock.

Today is Groundhog Day. I'll be watching the film later, if possible, as is tradition.

:up:

I reckon the problem is less the cost of flying, which nowadays really isn't too bad for the most part, and more how ridiculously expensive accommodation can be. You pay so much for so little. Want some Internet in your hotel room? $25/day thank you! :grumpy:

Agreed unless you live all the way over here and then the flights are horrendous. :angry:

If the groundhog is scared by his shadow, it means 6 more weeks of winter.

If he's all like, whatevs about it, then 2 more.

Seeings how we're supposed to get even more snow next week, I'm going to guess that ole Phil is going get the shit scared out of him in the morning.

Regardless, Groundhog Day is a very special day for me, and I'm quite happy that it's here again.

Certainly don't have any hibernating animals here! Except for those frogs and fish and stuff that can survive underground without water until it rains.

I didn't get to see much of Perth, but I liked what I saw! The airfare was pretty painful, but it's a long trip... and a few years ago it would have cost a lot more, I reckon.

Cyclone Yasi is way bigger/scarier than Cyclone Tracy was... yes, most places are better built now than Darwin was in the 1970s, but this is a 500km-wide storm compared to 50 or 100km. Apparently Tracy was "only" a category 4, as well.

There's a storm chaser web cam feed on the Triple M site, of all places... Can't see much at the moment. Could have done without one of the young guys going on about how "cool" it was. :slant:

I suppose I should get to bed... Tool was pretty good by the way, although not as good as the last time I saw them. At least they played Lateralus, and what an epic long version it was too, complete with two bonus percussionists (one from Jakob) and a fairly awesome long three-way drum/percussion solo. :drool:

Happy Groundhog Day!

Anyway, am thinking of the people in the way of cyclone Yasi, that is some seriously scary shit. I think it's definitely comparable to Hurricane Katrina, although there isn't as large a city in the way of Yasi.

It's frickin' cold out there, Mr Bigglesworth.

Apparently Cyclone Tracy could have fit in the EYE of Yasi. Good god.

It feels pretty ominous that we still don't have much in the way of reports from the worst-hit areas ...

Agreed unless you live all the way over here and then the flights are horrendous. :angry:

Which is the main reason why I've never been to Perth. :(

Apparently Cyclone Tracy could have fit in the EYE of Yasi. Good god.

It feels pretty ominous that we still don't have much in the way of reports from the worst-hit areas ...

Yeah, that sounds about right...

TripleJ was talking to a woman in Tully this morning, she said she hadn't heard of anyone being hurt or killed, but then communications are probably patchy at best.

I heard about a group of people who had stayed (not sure where exactly), and then called for help when it was too late to get them out... don't know how they went.

Well, Snowtorious B.I.G. was a NoShowrious, at least in my neck of the woods, definitely not elsewhere.

Meanwhile, in spite of the fact that we're supposed to have just as strong a snow storm next week, Phil did not, in fact, see his shadow, so early spring?

I guess it can still snow in spring...? Although I suppose the whole concept of spring is it not snowing any more and things warming up.

RIP Crackberry. You have sucked the attention span out of me since August 2009.

I'm anxious to go to sleep to see if tomorrow will be tomorrow or if I'll have a repeat of today. If I repeat today, fuck it. You know the part where Bill Murray goes nihilistic and starts stealing money bags and kidnapping groundhogs and stuff? I'm going straight to that.

Yeah, that sounds about right...

TripleJ was talking to a woman in Tully this morning, she said she hadn't heard of anyone being hurt or killed, but then communications are probably patchy at best.

I heard about a group of people who had stayed (not sure where exactly), and then called for help when it was too late to get them out... don't know how they went.

They were a bunch of 60 yr olds who had decided to stay and, thankfully, are all safe :D

never again in my life do I want to not own an electric blanket. I don't know if I'd've made it through today without this one.

:wave:

I sent plans off for approval about 3 weeks ago to council, and he emails back at like 7pm last night saying "blah blah blah the level shown and driveway slab is 101.15 and driveway slab is 10.25 (so like 100 meters lower)

He fucking can't read, its clearly marked on my plan as 10.15 at the same area of the block....and thats an existing surface level which I can do pretty much fuck all about.

Does my head in.

RIP Crackberry. You have sucked the attention span out of me since August 2009.

I'm anxious to go to sleep to see if tomorrow will be tomorrow or if I'll have a repeat of today. If I repeat today, fuck it. You know the part where Bill Murray goes nihilistic and starts stealing money bags and kidnapping groundhogs and stuff? I'm going straight to that.

Yeah, I would too. That's much more fun than having an existential crisis.

They were a bunch of 60 yr olds who had decided to stay and, thankfully, are all safe :D

That's a relief, but still a pretty silly decision on their part!

February 3rd. Drat.

It's the 4th here... I could give myself a Groundhog Day moment if I flew eastwards over the date line, though. :hmm: Will have to wait 'til the end of August for that, though.

never again in my life do I want to not own an electric blanket. I don't know if I'd've made it through today without this one.

I love my electric blanket, and I don't even have to live with snow. I would think it was essential equipment in colder climates!

I sent plans off for approval about 3 weeks ago to council, and he emails back at like 7pm last night saying "blah blah blah the level shown and driveway slab is 101.15 and driveway slab is 10.25 (so like 100 meters lower)

He fucking can't read, its clearly marked on my plan as 10.15 at the same area of the block....and thats an existing surface level which I can do pretty much fuck all about.

Does my head in.

Ye gods... :doh: Government is useless on any level from the sounds of things.

Also, if anyone's curious:

Tropical Cyclone Yasi - Satellite & Radar Timelapse

So I might possibly have two ear infections. Either way, both of my ears hurt pretty bad and I now have drops and cotton shoved into them. This has severely limited the things I can do this evening. I'm either going to have to watch tv with the volume up/captions on or find a decent speaker album to listen to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom