Humptulips, WA Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

But most people aren't going to realise that. And personal names don't make for good band names.

Oh, and Bob Dylan sucks. :wink:

I agree with you on Bob Dylan--he's not my cup o tea. Anyway, we might change our name. It's been discussed by Paul (who is the leader of the band).

the tourist said:

I stay away from the giant lists--that's a bit too hard for me, since I like lots of music that is very widely genre'd.

I don't like fragmenting my lists. Sometimes there is a noticeable split, like in my DI III submission, but that came around through the list's natural evolution, not through design, and it doesn't work as a CD split anyway.

Axver said:

I am a little concerned by the inconsistency, in that we list Shine Like Stars but not One's "do you hear us coming?" I think Shine Like Stars is more well-known, though. I would have probably added "do you hear us coming?" if I'd thought to do so before snippet-checking the whole ZooTV Tour. Now, it feels like a shitload of work to go back and do that.

Heh, that's a shame. I'd love to hear it live; WOWY's really missing something without it. Did you go to any of the Elevation Tour shows in Canada, perhaps? It was done at a couple of those ...

That's a really good point about "hear us coming," that should probably be included as well, but I agree, it would be a tremendous pain in the ass to go back through all the boots since it started. If it helps, it was done last tour 3rd leg at Detroit 2, in memory of Rosa Parks, the night they also did MLK for her.

I didn't go to any Elevation shows that tour, unfortunately. Alas, life was very hectic for me around that time.

Axver said:

I don't like fragmenting my lists. Sometimes there is a noticeable split, like in my DI III submission, but that came around through the list's natural evolution, not through design, and it doesn't work as a CD split anyway.

Well, more power to you. As for the concept of an actual desert island playlist, I think I'd rather have 4 seperate ones, as I'm not always going to want to listen to 2.5 hours of music in one sitting when I should be fishing/hunting/cleaning the hut. :wink:

the tourist said:

Discover more good artists. :up:

Yes. PFan, you heard much shoegaze? Bonnie and I have uploaded some stuff lately and I could pass the links onto you.

Axver said:

Yes. PFan, you heard much shoegaze? Bonnie and I have uploaded some stuff lately and I could pass the links onto you.

Get him some fucking Alcest. :drool:

I wonder if/when Alcest's next album will be released.

Oh, and PFan, I bet you'd like Stereophonics.

VintagePunk said:

That's a really good point about "hear us coming," that should probably be included as well, but I agree, it would be a tremendous pain in the ass to go back through all the boots since it started. If it helps, it was done last tour 3rd leg at Detroit 2, in memory of Rosa Parks, the night they also did MLK for her.

I didn't go to any Elevation shows that tour, unfortunately. Alas, life was very hectic for me around that time.

Oh, they did do it at a Vertigo show? I probably should've remembered that, as I think the verse is the only really worthwhile part of One, but - well, it is One. :wink:

My main concern, besides the huge time investment, is what to call it. Do You Hear Us Coming? feels a bit awkward to me, but is probably the easiest way to identify it. It's a shame it hasn't acquired its own name like Shine Like Stars has.

Now I'm trying to think if any other songs have acquired their own extra live verse that has stood the test of time ...

Axver said:

That's somewhat close to post-rock, isn't it?

Throw me some links, sure, I'll check it out.

phillyfan26 said:

Would I have heard something by them before?

There's one song of theirs on my list called Rewind. They had a single a couple years ago called Dakota that didn't do anything in the USA. Btw, I just sent you a link of the newest album by the band Ours, who have an amazing singer and pretty good stuff. You might find something you like there, too.

the tourist said:

Well, more power to you. As for the concept of an actual desert island playlist, I think I'd rather have 4 seperate ones, as I'm not always going to want to listen to 2.5 hours of music in one sitting when I should be fishing/hunting/cleaning the hut. :wink:

I find I often listen to mine in segments anyway. My current one, I'm playing right now, starting from track three (though track two might still be cut yet).

Axver said:

Oh, they did do it at a Vertigo show? I probably should've remembered that, as I think the verse is the only really worthwhile part of One, but - well, it is One. :wink:

My main concern, besides the huge time investment, is what to call it. Do You Hear Us Coming? feels a bit awkward to me, but is probably the easiest way to identify it. It's a shame it hasn't acquired its own name like Shine Like Stars has.

Now I'm trying to think if any other songs have acquired their own extra live verse that has stood the test of time ...

Yeah, they went from Do You Hear Us Coming into MLK. It was quite awesome, gave me chills.

I can't think of any other extra verses offhand, but then again, it's probably been close to two years since I've really listened to any boots. I kind of burned myself out with U2 for about a year and a half or so around the release of the last album and time of the tour. Taking a bit of a break makes it so much better when you listen again.

Thanks again for the information. Have a nice day/night, everyone. :wave:

Axver said:

I find I often listen to mine in segments anyway. My current one, I'm playing right now, starting from track three (though track two might still be cut yet).

I'll probably start my next one once this one's over.

the tourist said:

Get him some fucking Alcest. :drool:

Everybody needs Alcest. Tir Nan Og actually inspired my DI V list. I think it's one of the best album closers ever, and I was listening to it on a beautiful evening when I thought "I really should try to make the most beautiful playlist I can", and it went from there.

liamcool said:

Most of that is from Up or Us, yes? Those two albums are IMO, shit.

No idea. I didn't generally look at the albums on the lists and I retagged everything to the user's screen name so as to simplify.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom