HTDAAB Revisionist History

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, I stil consider it their best effort since AB.

It's still a strong song collection which is >>>>> a bad album.

Why do i have to be sensitive towards a song? It's a song. Not a person. Maybe instead of saying retarded i should've gone with "mentally disabled". Cuz i think you'd actually have to be in order to write that song.

"U2 doesn't need fans like you" is probably the funniest thing i've heard all year. Do you represent the band? Is this their decision? I guess U2's music is meant for positive thinking people. I'm sure no true U2 fans have ever had a negative thought.

I fully expected you to miss the point. Hell, you used the word "retarded" as an adjective. Buy yourself a thesaurus and be done with it.

For all this arguing I decided to look up All Because Of You and The Bomb on rym

All Because of You is rated as the 626th worst single of all time and 57th worst single of 2005

The Bomb is rated as the 96th worst album of 2004

Seems to me that the album and song are hated outside this forum as well as on here...

(No Line On The Horizon is also rated the 12th worst album of 2009 :wink:)

-Bomb was ranked the number 1 album of 2004 by both the USA Today and the NY Times.
-It was also ranked number 2 by the LA Times and number 4 by Q Magazine for 2004.
-Bomb was nominated for 8 Grammies combined in 2005 and 2006 and won every category it was nominated for including Album of the Year and Rock Album of the Year.

:wave:

-Bomb was ranked the number 1 album of 2004 by both the USA Today and the NY Times.
-It was also ranked number 2 by the LA Times and number 4 by Q Magazine for 2004.
-Bomb was nominated for 8 Grammies combined in 2005 and 2006 and won every category it was nominated for including Album of the Year and Rock Album of the Year.

I think Irishteen was using his Irish sense of humour.

Wow, it seems you definitely missed the humor on that guy's post. I think you're a little too in love with this album. You just can't believe it when someone dislikes something you like. You need to get out more. Expand your horizons. I'm sorry, am i unfairly judging you? You should know what that's like. Hell, you started it with the "U2 doesn't need fans like you" comment. Not that it offended me. I actually laughed out loud when i read it. You know, I might be a tad blunt when expressing something i dislike, but at least i don't act like some kind of elitist, superior U2 fan. I have never accused anyone on this forum of not being a true U2 fan. I don't think anyone would waste their time on here if they weren't such a big fan. I may argue my opinions on the music, but what i don't do is make it personal. That is, unless someone else does it first. So, in closing, you need to get off your high horse and admit to yourself that HTDAAB is just an album and ABOY is just a song. Many people don't like it (i know its so hard to believe), and you have to respect that. You know...I'm in the minority here of people who love Zooropa and think it's one of U2's greatest albums. And no, i don't think the majority that dislikes it are lesser U2 fans.

Wow, it seems you definitely missed the humor on that guy's post. I think you're a little too in love with this album. You just can't believe it when someone dislikes something you like. You need to get out more. Expand your horizons. I'm sorry, am i unfairly judging you? You should know what that's like. Hell, you started it with the "U2 doesn't need fans like you" comment. Not that it offended me. I actually laughed out loud when i read it. You know, I might be a tad blunt when expressing something i dislike, but at least i don't act like some kind of elitist, superior U2 fan. I have never accused anyone on this forum of not being a true U2 fan. I don't think anyone would waste their time on here if they weren't such a big fan. I may argue my opinions on the music, but what i don't do is make it personal. That is, unless someone else does it first. So, in closing, you need to get off your high horse and admit to yourself that HTDAAB is just an album and ABOY is just a song. Many people don't like it (i know its so hard to believe), and you have to respect that. You know...I'm in the minority here of people who love Zooropa and think it's one of U2's greatest albums. And no, i don't think the majority that dislikes it are lesser U2 fans.

First, I never said that Bomb was my favorite. I was just pointing out how it was ranked for that year and some of the awards it had won. ABOY is a decent song, but I never said it was great or sucked. Yes, I do like most of what U2 does, but if I don't like something, I don't waste space saying how much I don't like it. Sorry, that's just not my bag. But, if people wanna do that, hey, whatever works for ya.
I know that a lot of people don't like Bomb. I think it's a good album, but, like I said, its not my favorite. I also like Zooropa. That IS one of my favorites.

Finally, you'd be surprised how many people waste their time in here who don't like U2 and shit all over them. Granted, those people usually get banned from here and how pathetic is that, btw.

You're telling me to get out more. Its a freakin message board. Unless one says they're being sarcastic, one can't neccessarily tell if a person is being sarcastic. Sometimes they come off sounding like a total tool. Imagine that?

So, if you wanna be a tad blunt expressing your dislike for anything U2 related, have a fuckin' party, man! Be as negative as you wish, while I take a ride on my high horse. I'd rather be riding on my high horse with my elitist U2 friends while you sit there and think of ways to bluntly express your dislike for something U2 related. (yes, I'm being sarcastic)

You think ZOOROPA's one of their best too?!!

Awesome...we are friends again.

Life's short...let's go grab a beer. Let's get retarded. (<---haha)

You think ZOOROPA's one of their best too?!!

Awesome...we are friends again.

Life's short...let's go grab a beer. Let's get retarded. (<---haha)

Sounds cool to me. I'm already getting retarded, just don't use that word to describe U2. :D Yes, I'm jokin'. :wink:

I played it again yesterday for the first time in at least a couple of years and still really enjoyed it- One Step Closer is still "U2 by numbers" for me- and Crumbs on the table was never one of my favourite tracks on the album and it still isn't

back in 2005 I would have rated it as one of my top 5 U2 albums- and 3 years on I'd still say that it was right up there with JT, AB & Zooropa- that said I'd rather they didn't do AB Part 2 with the new one- it's time for a change in direction

interestingly I was watching Pop Mart dvd last night and really enjoying some of the Pop tracks so might have to dig that one out again- although it could be that they sound better live (like ATYCLB) than they did on the album

Those rankings and awards don't matter to me at all. HTDAAB is still easily their weakest effort, no matter what they say. I haven't watched the Grammies in a long time. It all just seems so overblown and political to me.

I played it again yesterday for the first time in at least a couple of years and still really enjoyed it- One Step Closer is still "U2 by numbers" for me- and Crumbs on the table was never one of my favourite tracks on the album and it still isn't

back in 2005 I would have rated it as one of my top 5 U2 albums- and 3 years on I'd still say that it was right up there with JT, AB & Zooropa- that said I'd rather they didn't do AB Part 2 with the new one- it's time for a change in direction

interestingly I was watching Pop Mart dvd last night and really enjoying some of the Pop tracks so might have to dig that one out again- although it could be that they sound better live (like ATYCLB) than they did on the album

You'll find it's a mix, songs like Please sound miles better live, whereas songs they never "Nailed" live like Do You Feel Loved, are brilliant on the album :)

You'll find it's a mix, songs like Please sound miles better live, whereas songs they never "Nailed" live like Do You Feel Loved, are brilliant on the album :)

hmmm I've never liked Please- along with the dismal Miami and Velvet Dress I always used to skip that track- had totally forgotten Do you feel loved

played Atomic Bomb again today- yep I still really like it

Please is one of Pop's greats! Velvet Dress dismal? No way! It is admittedly different though and must be treated as such.

Please is one of Pop's greats! Velvet Dress dismal? No way! It is admittedly different though and must be treated as such.

other people have said the same thing about Please- for some reason it just doesn't connect with me.

As for Velvet Dress- think I always viewed it as a slightly inferior version of Love is Blindness, which has probably coloured my views on it- that said I'm prepared to give it another go and will listen to it again on the PopMart dvd

other people have said the same thing about Please- for some reason it just doesn't connect with me.

As for Velvet Dress- think I always viewed it as a slightly inferior version of Love is Blindness, which has probably coloured my views on it- that said I'm prepared to give it another go and will listen to it again on the PopMart dvd

I agree with you on Velvet Dress....but PLEASE is an epic song. Maybe I gave the album version more time to grow on me because it was so great live, but its the best song on POP hands down IMO.

Someone else mentioned L&POE and how it has gone way down hill for them and I have to agree. We are merely 4 years seperated from HTDAAB and I think it already sounds out of date. Just not a great song afterall. One song that has grown on me so much that I might consider it to be the best song on HTDAAB is Crumbs from your table. It has grown on me so much that I can't believe that I used to actually skip over it when listening to the complete album.

And for the record....A Man And A Woman sucked monkey balls when I first heard it and after listening to it again recently...it still sucks.

Agreed, youtube the Corrected Matte version though, it definetely trumps the album version's opening ;)

I love the album version, it's da one I has on my iPod. :wink:

Regardless of how mediocre HTDAAB can be as a whole there are three songs that shine: Vertigo, Crumbs, and COBL.

Brilliant song....COBL is awesome!!!!

You forgot Original Of The Species and Miracle Drug. ;)

I see COBL as a 21st Century version of Streets, in my top 15 all time U2 songs probably. :up:

I love the album version, it's da one I has on my iPod. :wink:

You forgot Original Of The Species and Miracle Drug. ;)

I see COBL as a 21st Century version of Streets, in my top 15 all time U2 songs probably. :up:

But...but...Vlad...you disagreedededs with me :sad::sad::sad:

I don't think that Bomb was so bad. Was it U2's best effort? No. But, it was a decent album.

Great songs:
City
Miracle
Crumbs

Good songs:
Sometimes
All Because
Man
Original
Vertigo
Yahweh

Ok/So-So songs:
Love
One Step

When I first saw Vertigo on that special Top of the Pops show, I was blown away. It was and still is an amazing, incendiary song. Naturally, my expectations were high and at first I thought the album matched them. Unfortunately, the more I listened the more disappointing the album seemed. There was not the sonic depth that Achtung Baby revealed after several listens. What you first heard was all you got and it was pretty safe and one-dimensional. I began to realise that the anthems were contrived, lacking the organic swing of "Streets" or "...Wild Horses". "Yahweh" was a particularly good example of this "U2 by numbers" approach. It had the sound of parts being assembled on a production line- a ringing guitar line here, a piece of trite sentiment there etc. The effect bordered on self-parody.

Even worse are the lyrics. How could Bono, a near poet on AB and Pop write such clumsy dross as "You were pretty as a picture.It was all there to see/ The your face caught up with your pyschology"? There's nothing "post-punk" about it, it's just lazy writing. Where is the poetic craft demonstrated in "Love Is Blindness" or "Please"?

Thus, I am a harsh revisionist. The album is not entirely without merit, however. If "Atomic Bomb" regains some respect in a few years time, it won't be through COBL or MD. On the contrary, I think the more subdued, less cocksure moments will shine through. One Step Closer is an ethereal take on life and death with a good lyric and a confessional, late evening feel. Then there is the album's highlight, the gorgeous "A Man And A Woman." This track ought to get the recognition it deserves because everything works beautifully especially those stunning background vocals on the chorus.

Back
Top Bottom