HTDAAB places #8 in Village Voice Annual Poll!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
For those that aren't familiar with the Pazz and Jop poll, it is a survey conducted every year by The Village Voice, New York City's alternative independent weekly paper.  It is considered the most comprehensive music poll because it requests top ten lists from the most writers across the U.S. than any other.   In addition, it is balanced between large and small publications so as not to favor obscure indie artists, or mainstream corporate ones.  The journalists are given 100 points to disperse between 10 albums.  I believe they are limited to max and min points per album, but you can check the official rules on the website.

Past winners have included Outkast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Beck's Odelay, PJ Harvey's To Bring You My Love, Bob Dylan's Love and Theft. The winner for 2004 is Kanye West with The College Dropout, which has been near the top of many other polls.

U2 finished in a surprising 4th place for ATYCLB (their highest position to date, if I'm not mistaken), although that year there was much less competition.  They were bested only by Outkast's Stankonia, Radiohead's Kid A, and PJ Harvey's Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea.   Considering how many great albums came out this year, and how U2 gets very little credit from the indie world, 8th place is pretty damned good.

Here's the complete top 10:

1. Kanye West, The College Dropout
2. Brian Wilson, Smile
3. Loretta Lynn, Van Lear Rose
4. Franz Ferdinand, S/T
5. Green Day, American Idiot
6. The Arcade Fire, Funeral
7. The Streets, A Grand Don't Come For Free
8. U2, HTDAAB
9. Modest Mouse, Good News For People Who Love Bad News
10. Danger Mouse, The Grey Album

For anyone who's interested, The Arcade Fire supposedly contains a lot of U2-esque atmospherics.  I have yet to buy it, but I've been meaning to.  Supposedly it's a beautiful album.  #10 The Grey Album is an illegal bootleg, a mashup of Jay-Z's The Black Album with The Beatles' White Album.   And it's pretty damned cool.

Anyone who wants to read essays from various writers about the poll, comments from some of the voters, and the full list can check out the official site;

http://www.villagevoice.com/specials/pazznjop/04/

A great read if you're into music.  Enjoy!

Oh yeah, Vertigo placed #10 on the singles list as well.

laz

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom