How exactly does the band's IEM's work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
This is probably a stupid question, but I was just wondering if anyone on here could help explain it to me.

How do the in ear mic's they use work? What are they used for and such?

Here's what I know, and I'm sure people will add to it or correct me if I'm wrong ...

They're used so the band can hear what they and each other are playing - the sound system itself isn't going to get you, as a musician, what you need.

I believe the in-ear monitors replace the old-style monitors that would just sit on the stage and blast the sound back at them (is that how it works/used to work on that scale? I've only ever experienced small-stage set ups myself).

I think each of the band members can have their own specific mix so they can hear what they need to hear. The Edge might need to have his own guitar louder in the mix, or maybe he doesn't need to hear Bono that much, so in The Edge's ear, Bono's voice isn't that loud.

They might also have a click track to establish the beat, and/or someone counting off beats for entrances to make sure everyone comes in at the right time and that sort of thing. On some of Bono's feeds, you can even hear a little keyboard line at the beginning of MLK to help him find his note.

Okay, thanks Cori.

I was just wondering about how they are able to stay in time with each other so well, like how they are able to perfectly end the songs at the right time and stuff. I guess playing live shows for 30 years will do that to you!

But thanks for that IEM explanation, it was helpful.

Cori's pretty much right, 'cept monitors are still located on the stage for instances where a band member might take out their in-ears or something might go wrong.

Pfan's also pretty accurate, although even though everyone other than Larry might not need the metronome, pretty much everyone is going to want it in that large of an environment if they've got their ears sealed off with custom fitted IEMs. I haven't listened to any of the examples in this thread but many of the IEM recordings I've heard of Bono's, for instance, have a click in them. I'd almost bet Edge needs it because his delay timings have to be sync'd properly to the bpms of the track or metronome.

Getting an IEM recording is amazingly simple, really. You just need any bodypack receiver that can scan the frequencies and a simple pocket recording unit with a line in.

From what I've heard/read from the actual tapers, it's not all that "simple." Or, maybe the concept equipment is simple, but beyond that it requires, if nothing else, a hell of a lot of patience and lucking into the perfect spot to avoid interference?

Or something like that. I'm sure many tapers who've recorded IEMs would bristle at it being called "amazing simple."

I love listening to them - they're not always the most well-rounded sound, but it's a unique perspective into the workings of a rock band.

I always thought that the "Why so serious?" part was pre-recorded over the PA, not actually Bono!! That was really funny for me to hear!

Whoa that is pretty awesome and yeah Bono's Why so serious intro is insane! LMAO! Is there more of this rehearsal somewhere?

I think there were a few IEMs of Turin rehearsals (and the show, I think) released in the last month or so. They were on U2Torrents ... not sure if they're on U2start as well.

Click track.
Basically they all have to be in a 'perfect time' (so to speak).
If they aren't - the visuals on the screens, the delay on Edge's fiddle, and perhaps some pre-programmed sequences from Lawless (or even Edge's foot pedals) wouldn't mesh.

It has more to do with this^ than hearing themselves, IMO.

if you think they need to 'hear' Larry from that close, you've never been near a full set of pro drums being hammered on. Uh...loud is a word that comes to mind. I can see wanting to hear the actual feed though especially for Bono (I wear headphones when I sing into mics to record, always - I just like the feel of it)...the sound can be too dissipated even in smaller venues. But as I said, I believe it has more to do with sequencing the performance and the timing of the repeated delayed notes on Edge's git.

They need the IEM, among some other reasons, primarily because of theatrics.

Makes sense of course that its always Bono that gets recorded, being the whole band, but it would be interesting to hear what Edge and Adam have.

From what I've heard/read from the actual tapers, it's not all that "simple." Or, maybe the concept equipment is simple, but beyond that it requires, if nothing else, a hell of a lot of patience and lucking into the perfect spot to avoid interference?

Or something like that. I'm sure many tapers who've recorded IEMs would bristle at it being called "amazing simple."

I love listening to them - they're not always the most well-rounded sound, but it's a unique perspective into the workings of a rock band.

The problem with taping IEM's is that you have to get the right frequency. Plus you have to stand in a place with good reception, without too much interference(hah). That's why in some IEM recordings you hear fuzz or sometimes part of a song is gone.

For standard additions to their monitors, Edge usually has a rhythm guitar added to some songs, or piano, plus he has Bono a little higher in the mix. Adam has drums louder in the mix, Larry a metronome(though you rarely find Adam/Larry IEM's, it's mostly Bono/Edge's these days). Bono has piano bits in a lot of songs(Mysterious Ways, Crazy Tonight, With or Without you come to mind) plus also additional guitar parts sometimes. They all have the count ins, which count start of a song, when the bass/guitar/drums come in, verse and chorus and endings.

Makes sense of course that its always Bono that gets recorded, being the whole band, but it would be interesting to hear what Edge and Adam have.

There are a few Edge IEMs floating around out there. there's one from the Rose Bowl from Edge's feed, I think.

The only Adam IEM I've heard was not a great recording, so it wasn't really listenable. Alas.

:lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom