How are the tickets selling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When it comes to the United States and Canada, U2 almost always visits the following 28 cities or locations each tour:

Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Seattle
San Francisco area
Los Angeles area
San Diego
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Salt Lake City
Denver
Minneapolis
St. Louis
Kansas City
Dallas
Houston
Chicago
Michigan
Ohio
Pittsburgh
Miami
Tampa
Atlanta
North/South Carolina
Washington D.C.
Philadelphia
New York City
Boston

But so far for on the Experience And Innocence Tour, only the following 11 locations from above have shows so far:

Montreal
Boston
New York City
Philadephia
Washington D.C.
Chicago
St. Louis
San Francisco area
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
Atlanta

Hopefully U2 will add another U.S./Canada leg in 2019 so the other 17 locations above will get shows. This is the minimum that should be done to give the new music its best shot of doing well from a business standpoint.

You need to look at JT 2017 as part of this overall touring cycle. Had JT not happened, I'm sure that we would be probably seeing E&I shows in cities like Detroit, Miami, Dallas, Cleveland, etc. But JT took care of demand in those cities with (mostly) sold out stadium shows. There's no need to visit Minneapolis or Tampa for a few years now. So with E&I, they knew demand would be lower. That's why they just stuck with the cities that would be guaranteed sellouts. Tulsa is basically a dress rehearsal in front of an audience. St. Louis is a consolation prize for last year's cancellation. The fact that they're having trouble selling out tickets in LA, San Jose and Chicago tells me that they have reached the point of saturation in those markets, and need to go away for a few years.

You need to look at JT 2017 as part of this overall touring cycle. Had JT not happened, I'm sure that we would be probably seeing E&I shows in cities like Detroit, Miami, Dallas, Cleveland, etc. But JT took care of demand in those cities with (mostly) sold out stadium shows. There's no need to visit Minneapolis or Tampa for a few years now. So with E&I, they knew demand would be lower. That's why they just stuck with the cities that would be guaranteed sellouts. Tulsa is basically a dress rehearsal in front of an audience. St. Louis is a consolation prize for last year's cancellation. The fact that they're having trouble selling out tickets in LA, San Jose and Chicago tells me that they have reached the point of saturation in those markets, and need to go away for a few years.

A show in Minneapolis or Tampa in 2019 would be two years after the Joshua Tree shows and would be about filling an 18,000 seat arena as opposed to a 50,000 seat stadium. If it was another stadium show it would be out of the question, but its not, its an arena show that is 1/3 the size.

The band mentioned that they were not happy about the fact that the tour for the Songs Of Innocence album only visited 7 cities in the United States. The tour for Songs Of Experience is currently booked in only 12 cities in the United States, five of them repeats from the SOI tour.

If they do not add more cities in the US, then they would have only reached a combined 14 cities in the United States with a tour supporting new U2 music over the past 5 years. There are normally 25 cities in the United States that they visit on a tour with new music with the addition of several cities they only play irregularly.

I think its odd to come out with new music and not promote it with a show in cities as big as Miami and Dallas. Those cities are bigger markets for U2 than Denver, Phoenix, Tulsa, St. Louis, Nashville, Las Vegas, or Atlanta.

I know the band are disappointed with the reception the new music(Songs of Innocence and Songs Of Experience) has received so far, but when they don't make it a priority when it comes to their live shows, then they should not be surprised.

I find it extremely unlikely that they'll come back to NA in 2019. Sure, they could find a few places to do shows that haven't had a show since 360 or before. But, if the main markets like Chicago, LA, Boston have been oversaturated, it's not going to happen. Seems kind of like backward logic, in a way, that during stadium tours of larger venues, they've been more likely to include smaller markets like Pittsburgh or Tampa than they are to include them in smaller arena tours. I think after this year, they need to lay off the US until about 2021. Allow everything to reset, and then come back and do a big fuck off tour.

I definitely think they could come back and do a tour of Europe in 2019, based mostly on cities that haven't been hit since 360 or before.
Poland
Prague
Riga
Helsinki
Oslo
Munich
Frankfurt/Mannheim
Bologna
Zurich
Vienna
Zagreb
Athens
Budapest/Bucharest
Birmingham
Any French city that's not Paris and has a suitable arena

Throw in some other cities like Stockholm, Antwerp, Glasgow, London, Dublin, Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona that are U2 staples, and you've got a good 40+ show leg right there. However, I think that after they hit up Australia/Asia in early 2019, that'll be it for a few years.

I know the band are disappointed with the reception the new music(Songs of Innocence and Songs Of Experience) has received so far

just curious as to what makes you say this... was this from an interview or are you just speculating based on charts/radio play/whatever??? or are you literally making it up?

I think SOE has done about as well as any aging rock band can do. I don't think they could have hoped for any better of a reaction. Fact is, they are deep in CLASSIC ROCK territory. Very few people are going to their shows to hear new music, hence why the JT Tour was so successful.

When it comes to the United States and Canada, U2 almost always visits the following 28 cities or locations each tour:

Toronto

Montreal

Vancouver

Seattle

San Francisco area

Los Angeles area

San Diego

Las Vegas

Phoenix

Salt Lake City

Denver

Minneapolis

St. Louis

Kansas City

Dallas

Houston

Chicago

Michigan

Ohio

Pittsburgh

Miami

Tampa

Atlanta

North/South Carolina

Washington D.C.

Philadelphia

New York City

Boston

But so far for on the Experience And Innocence Tour, only the following 11 locations from above have shows so far:

Montreal

Boston

New York City

Philadephia

Washington D.C.

Chicago

St. Louis

San Francisco area

Los Angeles

Las Vegas

Atlanta

Hopefully U2 will add another U.S./Canada leg in 2019 so the other 17 locations above will get shows. This is the minimum that should be done to give the new music its best shot of doing well from a business standpoint.

Hopefully U2 will go other places in the world that they have played far less, so that people who can't count on a regular visit get to see their favourite band.

Your examples aren't very good anyway. Kansas City, really? The city that on JT30 got its first U2 gig in sixteen years? It has been visited on just two of the six tours U2 have undertaken this century.

I find it extremely unlikely that they'll come back to NA in 2019. Sure, they could find a few places to do shows that haven't had a show since 360 or before. But, if the main markets like Chicago, LA, Boston have been oversaturated, it's not going to happen. Seems kind of like backward logic, in a way, that during stadium tours of larger venues, they've been more likely to include smaller markets like Pittsburgh or Tampa than they are to include them in smaller arena tours. I think after this year, they need to lay off the US until about 2021. Allow everything to reset, and then come back and do a big fuck off tour.

I definitely think they could come back and do a tour of Europe in 2019, based mostly on cities that haven't been hit since 360 or before.
Poland
Prague
Riga
Helsinki
Oslo
Munich
Frankfurt/Mannheim
Bologna
Zurich
Vienna
Zagreb
Athens
Budapest/Bucharest
Birmingham
Any French city that's not Paris and has a suitable arena

Throw in some other cities like Stockholm, Antwerp, Glasgow, London, Dublin, Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona that are U2 staples, and you've got a good 40+ show leg right there. However, I think that after they hit up Australia/Asia in early 2019, that'll be it for a few years.

U2 could do anything they want with regard to playing arenas in Europe.

Another problem with a 2019 North American leg of the SOE tour is that it probably would not start until late spring/early summer by which time the album would have been out for nearly 18 months.

Unfortunately I think you're right and they are probably going to finish the tour with shows in New Zealand, Australia and Japan in early 2019. Those might be the last U2 shows until 2022.

I think they have changed their minds about touring and album releases many times over the past four years. Seems a bit more chaotic than in years past.

just curious as to what makes you say this... was this from an interview or are you just speculating based on charts/radio play/whatever??? or are you literally making it up?

The new music has not done well when it comes to streaming, radio airplay, digital track downloads etc. The sales of the album are better, but are not on the level of many of their previous albums, even after adjusting for differences in the market in 2018.

I think SOE has done about as well as any aging rock band can do. I don't think they could have hoped for any better of a reaction. Fact is, they are deep in CLASSIC ROCK territory. Very few people are going to their shows to hear new music, hence why the JT Tour was so successful.

Perhaps that is true, but they still should be putting their best foot forward and giving the new music its best shot of doing well. Its what they have always done in the past.

In the United States, the number of people going to the SOI-SOE shows is a smaller group and tend to think they are more die hard and into the new music.

U2 could have done a JT tour at any time over the past 20 years and it would have done really well.

I hope the JT tour 2017 is a one off, because even though I enjoyed it, I'm more interested in the new music and hearing that new music live.

Hopefully U2 will go other places in the world that they have played far less, so that people who can't count on a regular visit get to see their favourite band.

Your examples aren't very good anyway. Kansas City, really? The city that on JT30 got its first U2 gig in sixteen years? It has been visited on just two of the six tours U2 have undertaken this century.

I picked the top 28 markets in the United States and Canada. Kansas City is at the bottom of that list, but I challenge you to find a U.S. market I didn't list which would be more played by U2 over the course of their entire career to this point.

Kansas City got shows on Boy, October, War, Joshua Tree, Zoo TV, Popmart, and Elevation tours. Every U2 tour from 1980 through 2001 with the exception of the Unforgettable Fire Tour. The only reason they probably did not play there on the UF tour was because they did not think Kansas City was ready for an arena show yet. It was skipped on 360 because the 360 configuration placed demands on audience size that were too large for Kansas City to support. The only mystery is why they skipped it on the Vertigo Tour. The SOI and SOE tours don't count given the dozen plus other places they are not playing as well.

I have 10 of those 12.
article-1153578-03A4E185000005DC-517_468x565.jpg

I have Bomb on cassette. Unopened indeed and purchased in Slovenia not long after it was released.

Interesting. Its an official copy as opposed to a bootleg? Ever since Achtung Baby was released, I always purchased the CD and cassette together. I was shocked in 2004 when I was told by the retailer there was no cassette for HTDAAB album. Perhaps they did issue the cassette in countries where such a format was still popular to some extent.

U2 should pursue the "can't detect blatant sarcasm" market

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 7.53.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 7.53.43 PM.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 48
Can't disagree with anything she says, other than the marketing being an issue.

People know it's a new tour, and don't care or realize its the same state setup. Many major acts don't change the stage at all from tour to tour, so that's not a valid reason.

I do agree in general, though, with the idea that this album and tour being connected to the Innocence album and tour was not discussed enough...

Yeah she made a lot of good points. I think all shows will be sold out by show day, or at least full enough to look sold out. Prices will be dropped eventually. But after this year, they probably need to take a couple years away from the US. Don't come back again 2021 or 22. Let the market reset, and people will miss them again.

Back
Top Bottom