Have U2's 21st century releases done irreparable damage to their legacy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They need to go back to crafting songs that Edge says he can’t play live. Not generic songs that just as easily translate to piano or acoustic arrangements.

Hard to believe that 15 years on from getting that advice from Rubin they are still trying to please him. Rubin may have been the genesis of this approach to song writing, but surely they still aren’t reactive to it.

Rick Rubin helmed Stadium Arcadium and thus can not be taken as some faultless sage.

I also think that the focus on craft, craft, craft gives them a way to make music while living lives that are no longer Dublin centric (Edge in Malibu, Bono in Manhattan a lot, Adam in London, etc) and require huge amounts of time locked in a room together. The focus on songs, songs, songs came when Bono spent large amounts of time on the road first with Jubilee 2000 and then his Africa work, all stuff that is more important than U2. They did lock themsleves away in Morocco, I guess, but that was 14 years ago at this point.

This may be the way that they’ve been able to continue as a band.

Yes that's right! But I'm wondering if the band members have the will and the feeling of urgency that are needed to spend a lot intensive time together for the creative process of making music. Do they still have that deep intrinsic motivation? Are they still willing to go into struggling like they did in Berlin towards Achtung Baby for example?

Besides, the most creative years are generally between your late 20's and early 40's. Now they all have families and many many other interests and responsibilities.

As headache says:
Honestly sometimes it's just harder to be as inspired when you're old, fat and rich with happy home lives and all that.

There's no Troubles to write about. Bono's mom's been dead for 40 years. The Edge isn't getting divorced. They're not coming off a massively expensive tour that suffers through poor attendance. No drug problems. Nothing left to prove.

They've also reinvented themselves so often that it's hard to do anything that doesn't sound repetitive and/or pandering.

So no matter how much we want it, I think it is just very unrealistic to expect another AB or JT. How many bands do we know that created masterpieces when they were in their 60s?

Yes, I think there's still a chance that U2 has a "masterpiece" in them. I really enjoyed the last 2 albums. I liked them better than No Line. Out of the last 3, I'd say SOE is my favorite. I think the Sing 2 song is just for little 'uns and not really indicative of their creative direction. It's simply a song meant for an animated feature.

maxresdefault.jpg

Hard to believe that 15 years on from getting that advice from Rubin they are still trying to please him. Rubin may have been the genesis of this approach to song writing, but surely they still aren’t reactive to it.

Edge has been talking about improving his songwriting "craft" a lot recently so I guess its a personal thing, maybe an age thing too, wanting to do something different and see where it takes you?

From what I know about sessions in the past, I'd like to see them all back in a room with Eno & Lanois to see what that would produce.

Back
Top Bottom