Happy International Women's Day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina Marie

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
International Women's Day commemorates the 1857 march and demonstration by women workers in the garment and textile factories of New York City. Soon after, March 8 was established in the U.S. as a day to acknowledge the ongoing struggle for suffrage and equality. International Women's Day is also widely celebrated in Europe and Asia after being recognized at the International Conference of Women in 1910. The United Nations more recently recognized it as "an international day observed by all of the organizations of the United Nations systems."

Let's face it-women rock.
smile.gif

Please list and/or post a pic of the women you most admire-who are your heroes, role models.

Just a few of mine..

Mother Teresa

502.jpg

Madeleine Albright

albright.jpeg

Rosa Parks

rosa-l.jpg

Gina! I just had the same thought!

Anyway, I admire a lot of women and unfortunately the ones I admire most I can't post pics of. I don't have any of my mother and grandmother.

But here's a reminder:

(This is my current Away Message on AIM)

It's International Women's Day. Lets reflect on some things:
-Women in the US still only earn 75 cents for every $1 men earn.
-40% of women in the US say they have been raped.
-A majority of people in poverty in the US are women.
-Of all Fortune 500 companies, only 9% have female executives.

And the statistics continue... so what are we going to do about it?

Today remember not only the women in the US, but women around the world who are still struggling for basic human rights. Take up the cause!

"I feel the capacity to care is the thing which gives life its deepest significance." -Pablo Casals

Take some time to remember...
smile.gif

------------------
When you've seen beyond yourself
then you may find peace of mind is waiting there
And the time will come when you see we're all one
And life flows on within you and without you.

"You say 'erbs' and we say 'herbs' because there's a fucking 'h' in it!"

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

One of my personal hero's is Ali. Not only does she happen to be Bono's wife, but she is an amazing person in her own right. She has done so much for so many different causes!!!

20631283ONHeanjbkz_ph.jpg

Thank you to her, and to every other woman who has made this world the amazing place that it is today!!!

Happy Woman's Day to each and everyone of you!!!

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
One of my personal hero's is Ali. Not only does she happen to be Bono's wife, but she is an amazing person in her own right. She has done so much for so many different causes!!!

20631283ONHeanjbkz_ph.jpg

Thank you to her, and to every other woman who has made this world the amazing place that it is today!!!
B]

I was going to say Ali too.... she is a great lady! Happy International Woman's Day!

------------------
You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy
Then you learn to like the way it feels
You hurt yourself you hurt your lover
Then you discover
What you thought was freedom is just greed

Don't apologize mc-that is a BEAUTIFUL pic of Madonna-and Lourdes is so pretty.
smile.gif

Anyone else have any? Before the day is over..

Here's another of mine-Christiane Amanpour, from CNN

33c.gif

'With a Shout', I admire all of the lovely women here in PLEBA
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Throw me to the wolves because there's order in the pack..

Throw me to the SKY because I know I'm coming back?
~RHCP~

Thanks, z edge!
smile.gif

Also, not to insult the thread, but can I add Lisa Simpson and Daria as heroes? Cause they are.

Hey, I was out and about today, trying to pick up the few things I needed for the house, which still isn't furnished. Lucky for us the women in the past have helped us find decent men
smile.gif
. I'm still looking for that simbiotic person, who will put up the pro-verbial white picket fence...and help me do the housework, lol!

The room here is really a mess, that's for sure, it may take a while before I have time to check out the scene here. See ya!

[This message has been edited by DebbieSG (edited 03-08-2002).]

Girls rule!
biggrin.gif

Women I admire?

Condolezza Rice, Hillary Clinton, Alison Hewson, Barbara Jordan, Jodie Foster, my mom, Margaret Sanger, Rosa Parks, Jackie Kennedy, Nancy Pelosi and...

lola175.jpg

Back
Top Bottom