Hanover Quay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
* A fan from Alaska that was asked by Sam to go in and up to join the band in rehersal for 2 HOURS!!!!!
the fan hung out with the band while they rehersed and Danny and Eno were there too!!!

**Here is the story and band pic!!

Yeah, some people get pushy but I wasn't going to act like them - I knew I had all week and I'd get my chance. There were a lot of people there on Tuesday and Wednesday and Bono didn't stay out very long (a couple of minutes). I did manage to get my book signed on Tuesday and on Wednesday night (actually very early Thursday morning) got Edge and Adam to sign it too.

Sam told me to come on inside at about 3:30 on Friday. Bono was standing at the top of the stairs and told me to come up. I walked in the studio and there was Paul McGuinness, Brian Eno, Danny Lanois, Dallas, Edge, Adam, and a couple of techs. Danny told me to grab a seat on the couch. Bono came back in and they were ready to start playing over some vocals that had been previously recorded. Dallas was running around making sure the guitars were in tune and the effects were set right. After the first run through Larry came in. Bono was sitting on the couch next to me playing the Irish Falcon. Edge was about 10 feet away from me. It was so cool being that close to the man that inspired me to learn to play guitar. I did see the name of the song they were playing but don't want to give it away (I'm sure the band doesn't want it to get out yet). They played it about 8 times while I was there. Interesting to listen in on the talk between takes. BTW, the song was amazing!

e24cb345.jpg

---I posted this in PLEBA too ;)

I think this is one of the coolest stories EVER. I'd never thought they would actually let fans inside the studio while they are recording/rehearsing. How cool is that! I'm sure he doesn't want or isn't allowed to give away details of the song(s). The band picture is priceless!

When i was reading it i had a beaming smile across my face:wink:

Im curious as to know the style of song played.

Lila64 said:
Cool!

Just wondering, how or why this particular fan was invited in. And more details about the song he heard :wink:

it was because she was in the US Army stationed in Anchorage, Alaska... I read back a little she had been talking to Sam early on and I guess he mentioned it to the guys and they then asked her to come in.

BonoFox1 said:
* A fan from Alaska that was asked by Sam to go in and up to join the band in rehersal for 2 HOURS!!!!!
the fan hung out with the band while they rehersed and Danny and Eno were there too!!!

Yeah, some people get pushy but I wasn't going to act like them - I knew I had all week and I'd get my chance. There were a lot of people there on Tuesday and Wednesday and Bono didn't stay out very long (a couple of minutes). I did manage to get my book signed on Tuesday and on Wednesday night (actually very early Thursday morning) got Edge and Adam to sign it too.

Sam told me to come on inside at about 3:30 on Friday. Bono was standing at the top of the stairs and told me to come up. I walked in the studio and there was Paul McGuinness, Brian Eno, Danny Lanois, Dallas, Edge, Adam, and a couple of techs. Danny told me to grab a seat on the couch. Bono came back in and they were ready to start playing over some vocals that had been previously recorded. Dallas was running around making sure the guitars were in tune and the effects were set right. After the first run through Larry came in. Bono was sitting on the couch next to me playing the Irish Falcon. Edge was about 10 feet away from me. It was so cool being that close to the man that inspired me to learn to play guitar. I did see the name of the song they were playing but don't want to give it away (I'm sure the band doesn't want it to get out yet). They played it about 8 times while I was there. Interesting to listen in on the talk between takes. BTW, the song was amazing!

e24cb345.jpg

How did Bono's voice sound on the song? Any high notes? :)

U2Fanatic4ever said:

it was because she was in the US Army stationed in Anchorage, Alaska... I read back a little she had been talking to Sam early on and I guess he mentioned it to the guys and they then asked her to come in.

Thanks for the info. My apologies in regards to her gender :reject:
Congrats again :up:

BonoFox1 said:

e24cb345.jpg

Dead :faint::combust::faint:

That is a one in a life time meet. From the sounds of posts in the Zoo she had rudely been pushed to the side by some european fans ( i can't remember where they were from ) on wednesday, so i guess this was good karma from that happening. :)

Lila heres a link to her original post

http://www.u2.com/bbs/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2064271&page=0&fpart=765&vc=1

Then more of the story here, near the bottom of the page. Her screen name is sburkholder

http://www.u2.com/bbs/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2064271&page=0&fpart=770&vc=1

bonoishot said:

Dead :faint::combust::faint:

That is a one in a life time meet. From the sounds of posts in the Zoo she had rudely been pushed to the side by some european fans ( i can't remember where they were from ) on wednesday, so i guess this was good karma from that happening. :)

Lila heres a link to her original post

http://www.u2.com/bbs/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2064271&page=0&fpart=765&vc=1

Then more of the story here, near the bottom of the page. Her screen name is sburkholder

http://www.u2.com/bbs/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2064271&page=0&fpart=770&vc=1

Actually the links don't work for me either. I realize now the post is somewhere in the Collector's Club portion of the forum, but that thread is at 387 pages. If the page could be narrowed down, that would help. Thanks for trying!!!

ETA: I think I found it!!!

Last edited:
Somehow my boss saw it in his heart to send one of our co-workers on the incentive trip he won since he is unable to go--of course it's one of his "pals" and guess where it is---DUBLIN!!!!. :mad: :sad: :rant: He is a U2 fan though & I gave him something to autograph--wish him luck--I'm living vicariously thru him the next few days. :sexywink:

Regina O'Numb said:

well Jamila, at least, I know I'll meet Edge from you. I know you'll meet Edge, 110% of sure, and I know you'll make me present as you did during Vertigo tour. I know ... cause you. And for the eternity I will thank you for that smile. Thank thank you for all dear Jamila, be blessed by God and have all conditions to be beside Bono. Have a beautiful day.:hug:

Wow, thanks Reg. Thank you so much as I know they come from your heart. :wink:

Getting you an autograph and a smile from Edge for you made me happy.

As Bono has said - I take blessings seriously. So I'm writing in my Heart and in the skies "all conditions to be beside Bono" as truth to be fulfilled.:up:

Thank you for, dear friend. I need it right now.

:bonodrum: :hug:

BonoFox1 said:

e24cb345.jpg

I don't think I would have made up the stairs. But then again if Bono was at the top :hmm: waiting....

What a great story....once again it shows how fabulous U2 is as a band and people too!!! :applaud:

WOW...this is an amazing story...I am really happy for the girl...well done...I think all is perfect...the amazing attitude...and the lovely reward afterward...

Thank ypou so much for sharing...and keep the memories ever after :p

*sooo dying to know more about that darn tune* :p

Hannover Quay

U2 have break now ( they are out of HQ from saturday) , they should be back thursday I guess

By the way congratulation ALASKA girl :), I got only pictures with Bono on HQ STAIRS

Congratulations Susan! That's an awesome story and picture for sure. I don't know if you will read this or if you even remember me but I was one of the fans outside Hanover Quay last Friday. I'm Simon from Sweden and I brought my brother along with me. That must've been a great experience and you really deserved it to say the least.

Hanover Quay is not easy to find on your first try if you're unfamiliar with Dublin - or if you have a terrible map for that matter, that certainly doesn't help.
We looked around the area and found the "Grand Canal Docks" sign but didn't locate the studio. I realized it wasn't that far away so we asked a kind road-worker for help. He told us to look out for a wall with graffiti on it, pointed us in the right direction and off we went.

As we arrived last Friday we saw a group of Brazilian fans outside together with Susan. The weather was awfully chilly and windy. Bono had come out to greet the fans about an hour earlier we were told. After a couple of minutes the Brazilian group left, I could tell they were freezing a bit after all the waiting. They wished the rest of us good luck and started walking away.
A few moments later I took the opportunity to sign the wall hoping the band would come out again.
Then Sam arrived and I said "That was Sam wasn't it?" as he stepped inside. Susan nodded, my eyes had not betrayed me, that was him. Our time was running out, we had been told to be back at the hostel at 16:00 (4:00 PM) We chatted for a few minutes more when the studio door suddenly creaked and Sam stepped outside again. Only this time, he wasn't taking the food delivery guy in, he walked straight in our direction. My heart started racing. He asked where the three of us were from, we replied. Then he turned to Susan and asked "Were you in the war?" Susan said she was and just like that Sam asked her to come along with him inside. "Wow" was the only thing I could think of at that moment. I was paralyzed, it had been so unreal but my brother managed to wish her good luck and she said thanks. The clock ticked steadily on as we waited, we would have to run on the way back in order to make it on time by now.
I sent a text to a friend declaring that we would possibly be a little late, we still had the chance to meet with the band, I thought.

Then as we considered leaving Paul McGuinness walked out and I had heard about his riding accident so I just took a quick picture and left him alone with his assistant. "That'll do, we have to go now." I thought and off we went. Back at the hostel we arrived sweaty, cold from the wind and out of breath. The group had been given information about our stay in Dublin and some advice regarding visits to the local pubs. The meeting in the reception area had just finished when we got there so I asked a teacher what they had said. They told us this and that and whatnot she said and had specifically told us to stay away from the kebab. I was about to get very furious but I managed to restrain myself. "I missed my opportunity to meet my heroes because of a bloody kebab?!" I thought. I couldn't get it our of my head for the rest of the day. After that meeting we were told to have some free time to roam the streets of Dublin. I didn't feel like going back however. Needless to say I was colder than I'd ever been not to mention exhausted.

Another chance would come. If the weather was good enough on Tuesday (yesterday) I had the time to make a final visit to the Dockland Areas before we left. Fortunately this happened and we decided to go down to Hanover Quay once more. This time it was completely different. We could navigate because we found a better route to follow, the sun was shining and this time I was able to bring my 7" Vertigo promo single for any of them to sign. It had been locked in at the hostel room last time around. When we arrived we saw a small group of fans waiting outside - an Italian fan, two fans from Belgium and a English fan. Later another fan arrived by bike spending her lunch break with us. We talked a bit amongst ourselves in the group for about 5-10 minutes before Sam once more stepped outside and told us to move away. Some confusion arose but all he wanted was that we moved away from the garage "It's not nice, it's like stalking" he had said. I couldn't tell whether or not he was joking or if he was upset about it. We moved up opposite the studio door and continued our waiting and talked some more.

Then a van drove by and stopped outside the studio. It said "Electrical Service" on it. When we realized they were not there to aid the workers in the area but rather the band inside the studio my brother joked "Perhaps The Edge blew his amplifier up or something." I smiled. For roughly one and a half hours we had been waiting, once again considering to leave the area. This was the final day in Dublin and we had to make our way back to the bus at the hostel that would take us to the airport and we didn't want to miss it. Five minutes later Larry arrived in his black Mercedes Benz and swiftly reversed into the garage. I wasn't able to get a picture so you will have to believe me anyway. With that the two of us said goodbye and wished the rest of the group good luck. Was I discontent, not satisfied? Of course I wasn't! I'll have to admit I did look back one last time as we walked away but then I realized how wonderful the trip had been. These two adventures, however, were just a small part of the Dublin trip. On top of all the marvelous sites I had seen with school, I got to see Sam, Paul and Larry which was more than I had expected beforehand. I am sure there will be other opportunities for me to meet them.

The sun was shining and with a smile I just tried to take in everything Dublin and Ireland had offered me the last couple of days. It still feels very surreal and as I woke up this morning, in my own bed, I could think of only two words to describe it: magical and majestic.

I will try to upload a few HQ pictures later. Thank you for reading this long non-sense story even though it didn't contain any useful information on the new album progress. I just hope I didn't leave anything out. Congratulations again Susan! :wave:

//The_Edge89 (Simon), April 23rd 2008

Back
Top Bottom