Got a U2 'shrine'? Let it shine! Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I know... This is why I don't always share pics. It proves my insanity.

To my defense, some of these items I've had for quite a while. For example, back in the 90's, CD boots were the way to go. I was in grad school then and a local record store would get a few boots every so often. They were a bit expensive, but that was the only way to enjoy some live shows. Those were my periodic treats. Buy 2 or 3 of those for so many years and it adds up fast.

I loved singles for the b-sides. Get the CD singles, which includes some special formats, and that adds up. Then throw in some promos. Suddenly the CD collection is ridiculous.

I've had U2 items on vinyl since the 80's. I've just added to it over the years. Now that's become a lot too. This is why items are in cabinets and not on walls.

s for the the RIAA awards, these are more recent. But I searched a long time for the JT RIAA award (over a decade). That was more expensive, but I got a good deal thanks to a great seller.

Someday I will sell. Maybe I'll make a few bucks. :)

Can you give me more info on the RIAA awards? Seems everyone and their mother are selling records and spray painted silver. How do you know what is legit. Cheers.

I like your stuff. Too bad you didn't use a better camera :)

Immediately to the left on the wall you'd see:

U2Shrine001.jpg

Now I want an Inflatable Trabant. Nice!

Can you give me more info on the RIAA awards? Seems everyone and their mother are selling records and spray painted silver. How do you know what is legit. Cheers.

I like your stuff. Too bad you didn't use a better camera :)

Thanks. I just wanted some quick pics (which I took with my phone). Plus, sometimes I feel a bit odd showing these items. :)

As for the awards...

eBay is especially bad at selling fake awards. Some sellers will just say it's a "double platinum" award, but never mention RIAA. Some will say "Non-RIAA" award, which is at least this is more honest. However, these items have never been awarded to anyone. They may be a very cheap alternative, but they are not legitimate and will most likely have very little, if any, increase in value over time.

Other times, the item is an "in-house" award. That is, something the record label created to give to DJ's almost as a way of promoting the album. These aren't fake awards, but aren't worth as much as an RIAA award. If your goal is to have something that looks like an award but at a fraction of the price, these may be a nice alternative. Plus, there may be some increase in value over time.

Real RIAA awards have the RIAA logo on them. For old awards, like from the 1960's, the RIAA logo appeared on a plaque. As a result, it may be easier for some to fake an award. More recent awards have an RIAA hologram, which is far more difficult to falsify.

Also to reduce creating fake awards, the RIAA has licensed only a select few framers to make awards. These companies will indicate that they made the award by a sticker on the back.

The RIAA award can be presented to the band or a band member but it may also be presented to a DJ or another individual (producer or someone at the label, etc.). Usually multiple awards are made. So even if an award was presented to Bono or to U2, it may still be up for sale as Bono may have given that award to another person, who then decided to sell it. Therefore, do not think you are buying an award stolen from Bono. :)

Key things:
  1. The seller should indicate this is an RIAA award.
  2. The award should have an RIAA logo somewhere on it.
  3. Recent awards have an RIAA hologram, which is very difficult to fake.
  4. On the back, there should be a sticker from the officially licensed framer, like DeJay Gold, Milestone Record or Ill-Eagle Enterprises. There are a few more, but these are the big three framers.
  5. The award should clearly state who it is being presented to (person, entire band or to a band member) and for the sales amount (Gold is 500,000 copies, Platinum is 1,000,000 copies, etc.).

Note that there are many different styles of awards out there. This is left up to the design chosen by the label and framer. Some awards are the classic album, CD and cassette tape. Some have a background display. Some have just a CD or album. These are all official - just different designs. Also, note that while an album like "Achtung Baby" may now be certified as 8X Platinum, at one point it was certified as Platinum. Then 2X Platinum, etc. So there may be awards for each of those milestones. My AB award is just for the Platinum status.

These awards can cost a fair amount - so be prepared to spend $$. You may be able to negotiate deals. Even though these are U.S. awards, I've found mine from sellers in Europe and negotiated a deal each time.

All of the above is just a start - be sure to do more homework if you have any doubts about an award.

Hope this helps!

Wow! Thanks Dublin for sharing the video of your incredible collection of Bono glasses. Also, I enjoyed the WOWY remix in the video. Who is it by?

Wow! Thanks Dublin for sharing the video of your incredible collection of Bono glasses. Also, I enjoyed the WOWY remix in the video. Who is it by?

I'm so glad you liked it! The remix is off an album called V2 vs. U2 Remix that I found on iTunes. It was a rare version that YouTube didn't detect and strip from my video. Have a great day!

But there is a different between collecting band paraphernalia and actually being "obsessed" with a celebrity.

Back
Top Bottom