Funniest U2 quote?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
lets post some of the funnier quotes U2 has said...

"It’s so hard to keep things fresh and not to become a parody of yourself. And if you’ve ever seen that movie “Spinal Tap”, you will know how easy it is to parody what we all do. The first time I ever saw it I didn’t laugh – I wept…. I wept because I recognized so much… so many of those scenes. I don’t think I’m alone amongst all of us here in that… you know, we’re all guilty of taking ourselves and our work way too seriously. We have all gone to go hangout in the hotel lobby like we were doing something REALLY important."

-Edge 2005

europop2005 said:
lets post some of the funnier quotes U2 has said...

"It’s so hard to keep things fresh and not to become a parody of yourself. And if you’ve ever seen that movie “Spinal Tap”, you will know how easy it is to parody what we all do. The first time I ever saw it I didn’t laugh – I wept…. I wept because I recognized so much… so many of those scenes. I don’t think I’m alone amongst all of us here in that… you know, we’re all guilty of taking ourselves and our work way too seriously. We have all gone to go hangout in the hotel lobby like we were doing something REALLY important."

-Edge 2005

:giggle: :up:

Not a quote by U2, but about U2:

"He's a poet. He's a philosopher. And last night, I think I saw him walking on water."
Mick Jagger introducing Bono as he received his MTV Free Your Mind award, November 1999.

:wink:

Bono on the disadvantages of shows like the Astoria gig, 2001.
"I have to tell you, I don't like doing intimate concerts. I have very sensitive nasal glands and being that close to so many armpits is absolutely terrifying. I'd rather play a stadium any day."

Bono on the days when U2 truly were a three chord wonder.
"Actually '78 was a really exciting time for U2. We had just discovered F sharp minor. So we had the fourth chord and we'd only had three up to then."

Bono describing Adam's early musical ability, October 1979.
"Adam pretended he could play and used words like 'gig' and talked about things like 'action' on the bass and we thought 'this is a guy who can play!' He was a liar. He actually couldn't play a note. Dave was just playing away on the acoustic and people just kept on coming up and saying 'there's something wrong' and we couldn't figure out what it was until suddenly we thought - It's Adam! Adam can't play. He had his own distinctive style from the start - at first it was called BLUFF, but then it began to work."

Last edited:
:lol:

Maybe not *that* funny but I think it's hilarious

BP: Did you ever think you were going to die?

LARRY: Yes, only on the back of Bono's motorbike!
EDGE: Only on the back of Bono's motorbike.
ADAM: Only in the back of Bono's car.
BONO: Die, no. Squashed, yes.

"Hello, Is this speedy Pizza? I'd like to order 10,000 pizzas for Detroit. Were at the palace. Yeah I AM serious. I'm very serious. You can't make 10,000? Just make as many as you can. Ok? What? My name is Bono." ZooTv Tour

Q : "Most interesting question asked recently by a fan?"
Bono : "Have you seen Bono?"
'Propaganda' Issue 27, '97

Last edited:
quotes from larry:

Then Bono arrived, and he meant to play the guitar, but he couldn't play very well, so he started to sing. He couldn't do that either. But he was such a charismatic character that he was in the band anyway, as soon as he arrived. I was in charge for the first five minutes, but as soon as Bono got there, I was out of a job."
Larry describes Bono's persona, April 1987.

"It's a tough life being a pop star. You know, at the end of the day when you've paid all the bills and put the kids through college and that, you know, there's only enough left for a small island off the South Pacific."
Larry pleads poverty, 1997.

"I joined a band to hit things."
Larry's reason for being in U2

Last edited:
quotes from the edge:

"What ever you do, do not get into a car with Bono. He's not great at the old driving."
Edge on the dangers of a ride with Bono, 2001

"We would have broken up years ago if there'd been any pansies in the band."
Edge, 2002

Dahlia said:
:lol:

Maybe not *that* funny but I think it's hilarious

BP: Did you ever think you were going to die?

LARRY: Yes, only on the back of Bono's motorbike!
EDGE: Only on the back of Bono's motorbike.
ADAM: Only in the back of Bono's car.
BONO: Die, no. Squashed, yes.

"Hello, Is this speedy Pizza? I'd like to order 10,000 pizzas for Detroit. Were at the palace. Yeah I AM serious. I'm very serious. You can't make 10,000? Just make as many as you can. Ok? What? My name is Bono." ZooTv Tour

Q : "Most interesting question asked recently by a fan?"
Bono : "Have you seen Bono?"
'Propaganda' Issue 27, '97

:applaud:

These two interviews always makes me :giggle:...

In the MTV interview "Lars meets U2", when talking about videos and especially "New Years Day"...

Lars: Is it true there was girls on the horses and not you?

Edge: THAT WAS A DAMN LIE! :ohmy: Okay, maybe there were girls on the horses... :giggle:

....and this part from the Norwegian interview from NRK1:

Interviewer: I went to a second-hand shop and the guy in the shop gave my this - it's the first pressing, it's the CBS one...

Bono: He really GAVE it to you?! As a present?! :huh:

I: Yeah, I told him that I was going to meet you guys...

B: He LEND it to you?! :confused:

I: No, he really GAVE it to me... it's 80 euros but he gave it to me for free...

B: You're joking!!! :eyebrow:

I: No, I'm not joking! :D

B: See, there is a Dublin fucking Norway thing going on here... :|

I: I'm not sure...

B: It's some, it's some deep viking shit... friends of vikings anyway... :wink:

ETA: I guess you have to see the guys facial expressions to find these quotes funny! :shifty:

Last edited:
And a quote from another interview:

:edge: My name is guitar and I play The Edge...

:giggle:

Merc said:
These two interviews always makes me :giggle:...

In the MTV interview "Lars meets U2", when talking about videos and especially "New Years Day"...

Lars: Is it true there was girls on the horses and not you?

Edge: THAT WAS A DAMN LIE! :ohmy: Okay, maybe there were girls on the horses... :giggle:

....and this part from the Norwegian interview from NRK1:

Interviewer: I went to a second-hand shop and the guy in the shop gave my this - it's the first pressing, it's the CBS one...

Bono: He really GAVE it to you?! As a present?! :huh:

I: Yeah, I told him that I was going to meet you guys...

B: He LEND it to you?! :confused:

I: No, he really GAVE it to me... it's 80 euros but he gave it to me for free...

B: You're joking!!! :eyebrow:

I: No, I'm not joking! :D

B: See, there is a Dublin fucking Norway thing going on here... :|

I: I'm not sure...

B: It's some, it's some deep viking shit... friends of vikings anyway... :wink:

ETA: I guess you have to see the guys facial expressions to find these quotes funny! :shifty:

I saw them both and the Edge's face in the first one was priceless.. and Bono very cheeky : girls can do things boys can't..

the 2nd one was funny aswell XD

I only have the first one, and yesterdady night I managed to get the file oin my pc(it was a streaming link, I"m saving all my streams now XD)
I'll start an upload, it's 68 MB :)

concert quote:

"I can understand why they call this the American Airlines Arena...it sounds like a f*cking 747 in here"

Sorry i dunno what exactly the words were, and who among the members said it. but it goes like this...
"If you are really close to The Edge you can call him The"

I think that was Adam... :)

:bono: ok, that's enough of this f*ck crap. i say its time to rock!! * starts singing "Singing In The Rain" *

POPMart - Roundhay, Leed, 1997

My Top 5:

No. 5:"The thing with the guitar is it has six strings and I only have five fingers" - Bono

No.4: "Bono just wanted to meet Sisqo because he thought he was one of the few singers in the world who is shorter than he is. He was wrong by an inch." -Edge, 2001

3.: "Ali, my missus says "We are not 50,000 people...Shut up!" - Bono on Radio 1

2.:"Actually it's hard to find four people this good-looking who are willing to write and record and perform together."- Bono in 2001

And the winner is.... :

"Hellllooooo, we're on holidaaaay. Daddy, if that's you, we're not coming home until you take the horns off! Byeeeeee!" - Jordan, Bono's four-year old, on Bono's home answering machine (called during concert 8/27/93)

scha said:
"Hellllooooo, we're on holidaaaay. Daddy, if that's you, we're not coming home until you take the horns off! Byeeeeee!" - Jordan, Bono's four-year old, on Bono's home answering machine (called during concert 8/27/93)

:lmao: I love that one! I'd have liked to see the expression on Bono's face when he heard that, and the reactions of the band and the audience!

from Bill Flanang's U2 at the end of the World:

" “An hour later Bono’s in a Thai restaurant, with Adam’s brother Sebastian, Edge, Morleigh, Edge’s sister Jill and her husband, Tim. As is bound to happen at such a reunion, childhood stories dominate the conversation. Sebastian says he remembers as a little boy jumping on Edge and beating on him as hard as he could, while Edge paid absolutely no attention. Tim says that he recalls being knocked hard on the head by Adam with a toy gun. Bono says that his great memory of the Clayton house is that it was the first place he ever ate spaghetti.

‘They didn’t serve spaghetti in my neighborhood,’ he says. He was having trouble figuring out how to wind it onto his fork when Mrs. Clayton said, ‘Oh, that’s all right, Paul. It’s okay to just cut it up into little pieces and eat it.’ Young Bono went happily about doing that, chomping away, when Mrs. Clayton noticed little Sebastian having the same problem and reprimanded, ‘Sebastian! Will you eat properly or do I have to cut it up for you like a baby?’ Bono’s face turned bright red and fell into his napkin.

As the wine bottles are emptied everyone agrees that as a child Adam’s great claim to fame was his virtuoso ability to fart at the perfect moment. As the English teacher was making his most poignant poetic point Adam would poot. Bono says that the year he sat next to Adam his English grade plummeted. Edge says that Adam’s legendary status among his fellow schoolchildren was assured the time he let a big ripper in class and told the angry teacher, ‘I’m sorry, ma’am, it just slipped out of my bottom’” (419).

hehehehe

i LOVE this thread! =)
scha, those are so awesome! <3

here are some more:

"I'm not sure if Irish people can dance.... except for The Edge, that is, who is our own funky chicken."
-Bono

"My room overlooks the park and yesterday during the afternoon I'd opened up all the blinds and taken back the curtains so I could look out over the park. Come nightfall, I was grooving to some rap record in my room, bopping around the room for maybe half an hour. I don't know what I was doing, just messing around...and at one stage I looked out of the window and there were about 200 people looking up, clapping, applauding my dancing. That was funny." The Edge

"His [Edge's] gaze drifts off into the air, mentally subdividing God-knows-what complex equation. It turns out he's wondering if right now Larry is finding the fan letter Edge left lying conspicuously in the dressing room. The letter tells Edge that he is "the best-looking member of U2. Bono has a big nose and Larry looks like an inflatable doll." Edge got the note in Australia and he plans to keep leaving it out until Larry notices it. "Bass players attract the weirdest fans," Edge says. "I tend to get the bespectacled MIT students. Bono gets the poets. And Larry, unfortunately, gets the girls." Edge sighs and repeats the old saw: "We should have gotten a Ringo." The Beautiful Boy himself enters the cafeteria, showing no signs of having yet seen himself described as inflatable. Edge gets up to collect his mash note for next time"............. U2 At the End of the World

Oh i read this somewhere and it made me laugh..i dont know why.

BP : What do you wish you had that you don't already have?
Bono : Feet, my legs just seem to end.

Targon1991 said:
can you repost the YSI link please

Yes please!!! :D

Oh I'd loove to have the Bill Flanagan book :sad: It seems to be so cool, every quote is so funny!! :laugh:

Yeah, I've tried everywhere here... local libraries, even weird libraries that have imported music books.. the guy even had that green clover U2 single from ages ago!!! :ohmy: :drool: But nuthing... he said all books gone and it has no sense asking for more since he would have to charge very high prices for them (dollars are expensive here...) and no one would buy them :(

I even asked a guy who went to NYC to find it for me, he said they were sold out!!! :huh: :madspit:

VicksSs said:
Yeah, I've tried everywhere here... local libraries, even weird libraries that have imported music books.. the guy even had that green clover U2 single from ages ago!!! :ohmy: :drool: But nuthing... he said all books gone and it has no sense asking for more since he would have to charge very high prices for them (dollars are expensive here...) and no one would buy them :(

I even asked a guy who went to NYC to find it for me, he said they were sold out!!! :huh: :madspit:

Have you looked on Ebay?

:hmm: never before!! Gonna check... anyway, the shipping costs here are two books... but I'm gonna see!! Thanks for the tip!! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom