? for the U2 history experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2harmony

Babyface
Does anyone know if U2 ever opened for, or performed with The Clash in NYC way, way back in late 70's??? If so, where was that? If not....they did perform someplace that was famous (famous to NYer's) back then, real early on...anyone remember where this was????

Background - I was young...I went to a Clash show with my older brother back then...the memory is VERY foggy, but I seem to recall we saw U2 as well, either that same day or around the same time, back before anyone knew who they were. Can't remember the name of the venue, but I can picture it clearly in my mind.

Just curious if anyone can help solve my "memory mystery" :hmm:

From U2Tours.com, info on U2's first show in New York:

December 06, 1980 / New York, NY
Venue: The Ritz
Main Set: 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, An Cat Dubh, Into the Heart, Another Time Another Place, The Electric Co., Twilight, The Ocean, Stories for Boys, I Will Follow

Encore(s): Out of Control, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock

Comments: U2's first live show in the United States!

Just to clarify, the concert listed by dsmith2904 was not one where U2 opened for The Clash. It was just their first US concert.
As said before, U2 never opened for The Clash.

ask axver.

Well, I'm just going to second what's already been posted, especially BVS plugging U2gigs.com ahead of me. :wink:

I haven't heard of U2 ever opening for The Clash, and the aforementioned 6 December 1980 show was indeed U2's first live outing in the US (fun fact: a Rochester gig scheduled for the 5th was meant to be first, but got cancelled). Until December 1979, they had never even played outside of Ireland.

Didn't U2 open for the J.Geils band in the US? Or was that part of the 82 October tour?

No info on headlining acts on U2setlist so I'm going from memory...

In the late 70's U2 were teenagers who had not recorded a real record yet.

Signed 1980 by Island.
But, their first recording demo is 1978,
first release U2:3 is September 1979 on CBS.
Regardless, they were already performing in 1978, opening for the Stranglers for example. Plenty of bands do not record or are without a contract yet perform regularly.

The Clash played the US in feb 1979 for the first time, so U2 were only one step behind. But I'd seriously doubt they were ever on the same bill, apart from the US Festival, the Clash playing the 28th, but U2 on the 30th.

Back
Top Bottom