Finally figured out what U2 has lost...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Lemonseed

The Fly
First, I really wanted to snag people with that thread title.

But basically I realized the other day that they're no longer speaking to me! In other words, what was once very soul-touching music, with some sort of genuinely affectation, no longer happens.

Don't get me wrong, I think the songs are VERY GOOD SONGS, with interesting lyrics and the like. It's just that they don't ring the bell of my soul.

In a way I think they've (understandably) lost touch, now that they're veteran megastars. In another way, it's almost like they've lost that "It" factor, though still retaining fabulous creativity.

Could it also be anything about relevance? I think relevance, soul touching, and the It factor are all related.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Another way to describe it is that I don't feel like any of the new songs quench a soul thirst, except maybe Fez! I think through all the songs of the new album, and while I find them interesting, creatively quite nice... none of them really reach DEEP into the heart/soul...

If you feel that, I do feel sorry for you. I completely disagree personally, I think these songs dont speak to some people because they are expecting a similar style, or a similar message or something connected with the past. These songs speak to a new generation of fans, and I love them

Some people are too busy searching for what U2 might have lost instead of focusing on what they still have.

Personally I can say that I feel more connected to them right now than I've had before, mainly because of he songs on their current album. I just connect with most of them on an emotional level. I can't analyse or explain it, it's just the way it is. And my relationship to music is only an emotional one, never intellectual.

it's a fair point you bring up, and cliched though it is there are a million people i've heard say "i really like their older stuff..."

i may look upon u2 with slightly rose-coloured glasses but i do really like this new album.

i am definitely of the opinion however that (people on this site in particular) won't come to like the new stuff because they won't allow themselves to. everything is compared to the past and they can't just sit and listen to the new one without any prejudices or perceptions.

i understand what you mean. i do feel like after pop, the songs sort of changed. i'm not saying it's for the better or worst, just the experiences changed. i still feel like their songs today speak to me though.

If you posted this a year ago, I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you. But I think at the moment there are two U2’s wandering around out there. There’s the stale, safe U2 of the past decade, where yes, it really seemed like the soul had been washed out of everything, and then there’s a bit of the old U2 breaking through here and there. Sometimes I still think yeah, they’re definitely not what they used to be, but then I think a few years ago we had Sometimes You Can’t Make it On Your Own, now we have Moment of Surrender. A few years ago we had Miracle Drug, now we have Fez. A few years ago we had tubby Bono marching around in a police hat on the Elevation With A Couple of Other Light Tricks tour, now we’ve got this awesome manic Ultraviolet performance on another groundbreaking set.

So sure, there's still a bit too much of the 00s in it all - Crazy Tonight is their current single, after all, and I'm sorry, but it's fucking awful - but there's at least a balance maybe returning, if not the first leaks that hopefuly will lead to a flood. Something definitely left the building at the turn of the century, but it also definitely feels like they’ve let a part of it back in lately.

But basically I realized the other day that they're no longer speaking to me! In other words, what was once very soul-touching music, with some sort of genuinely affectation, no longer happens.

Or maybe you've changed?

I found about half of Zooropa to be speaking about something rather than to me, but I still enjoy the album, same with Pop. I have a hard time understanding how someone could find either one of those albums speaking to them more than this current album, but that's just me.

The human soul has a bell? :wink:

Im of the complete opposite opinion. I dont think i have ever had such an strong emotional connection with this bad as i do now.

I've never been so touched by a song as i have been by Unknown Caller. Its touched me so much that i've cried, and thats only happend to me a couple of times with songs. I get to the solo at the end of the song, and i often think "man, if theres a heaven, this is whats going to be playing as you walk through the gate"

you mean you don't like people with less than 200 posts in five years coming in and telling us they don't like u2?

No, that happens in here everyday :lol:

I think it's the whole: "Guys, I have figured it out. I figured out the secret as to why U2 suck. They don't do (this) for me, therefore they must not do (this) for all humanity."

First, I really wanted to snag people with that thread title.

Don't get me wrong, I think the songs are VERY GOOD SONGS, with interesting lyrics and the like. It's just that they don't ring the bell of my soul.

In a way I think they've (understandably) lost touch, now that they're veteran megastars. In another way, it's almost like they've lost that "It" factor, though still retaining fabulous creativity.

Could it also be anything about relevance? I think relevance, soul touching, and the It factor are all related.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Yes, it does.

I think that perhaps because you are older now and are a "different place" in your life. This would affect how you view their music. I don't know your age. But, for me. U2 in the eighties was the most "soul searching." Because, I was in my twenties. Same as the band.

I still love their music. Though, because of my life experiences. I do see it in a different light. I think that U2 has also felt this and it is reflected in their music. Bono is not the same wide eyed innocent boy. And his words say this. He seems to, like all of us, in his age group. To have become more cynical. The world is not so easy to change.

I've always been more able to identify with U2's early stuff, from Boy, in particular, probably cause I'm lingering in the same age bracket they were at the time. Achtung Baby on the other hand is completely alien to me lyrically.

I think it is possible to have a peak of interest in a band. My peak was from JT-AB period. Doesnt mean i like em any less now, just, for me, that period to be a u2 fan was untouchable for its special-ness......and i dont think that ferver will ever be recaptured. I am a different person now.
I think maybe...its an age related thing too. Back then, nobody could say a bad word about u2 without me leaping to their defense. Since i have grown up, i have mellowed and realised musics place in the grand scheme of things. U2 always have been, and always will be my No 1, they just dont dominate my life as once they did

I like that I can enjoy NLOTH with the same open mindedness, intrigue and interest that I had when I first heard Achtung Baby in 92 when I was only 15.

If you posted this a year ago, I would have wholeheartedly agreed with you. But I think at the moment there are two U2’s wandering around out there. There’s the stale, safe U2 of the past decade, where yes, it really seemed like the soul had been washed out of everything, and then there’s a bit of the old U2 breaking through here and there. Sometimes I still think yeah, they’re definitely not what they used to be, but then I think a few years ago we had Sometimes You Can’t Make it On Your Own, now we have Moment of Surrender. A few years ago we had Miracle Drug, now we have Fez. A few years ago we had tubby Bono marching around in a police hat on the Elevation With A Couple of Other Light Tricks tour, now we’ve got this awesome manic Ultraviolet performance on another groundbreaking set.

So sure, there's still a bit too much of the 00s in it all - Crazy Tonight is their current single, after all, and I'm sorry, but it's fucking awful - but there's at least a balance maybe returning, if not the first leaks that hopefuly will lead to a flood. Something definitely left the building at the turn of the century, but it also definitely feels like they’ve let a part of it back in lately.

This is the post I agree the most with.

Earnie, one thing I don't understand is why you don't have an avatar yet.

Good points. There is a way by which this album is very vibrant and fresh. I don't dispute that. Also it definitely needs more time. I bet something similar could have been said for AB when it first came out, but know that its settled in we can see it in its true light.

Maybe that's ok though. Songs like Sometimes, for instance, really touch deeply. But who knows, as you say, I suppose its just where I'm at. I really do think the new album is great, but at the same time, e.g. NLOTH or Magnificent, I can't really identify anywhere in the song, even though they're really good songs.

That's the thing. I can't identify myself in many of the songs right now, though I think they're really stellar tunes. Guess that's not a problem either! Just different. :)

The Bomb's songs might not have spoken to many people because they were distinctly personal to Bono rather than personal in a universal way, I was touched by a lot of his honesty there, but NLOTH's songs are spiritual and delving into a lot of different spiritual areas, and have a lot of emotion, so yeah I'd say its impossible to define them 'losing' that connection. I'd rather they continue to pursue what interests them than pursue what would keep them 'relevant', after all they would have remained relevant with JT sound instead of being cutting edge with AB, and electronica/dance music have never been mainstream, so it was hardly an easy career move to create Zooropa and Pop, audio production and sound experimentation aren't embraced in this mp3/ringtone world, but that didn't stop them from producing NLOTH, and I'm glad.

MOS-UC are two songs that really move me. They're so beautiful. So I don't think they've lost "it". But of course I'm a newer fan. I wasn't their when TJT and AB came out.

For me, what "speaks" to me changes every few years. There was a period when the ATYCLB album really struck a chord with me. Now, October does. Just because this current album doesn't now, doesn't mean that in a few years it might feel different to you.

I'll be honest, I hated Pop when it first came out, but I have recently rediscovered it in a new light and love it.

For me, what "speaks" to me changes every few years. There was a period when the ATYCLB album really struck a chord with me. Now, October does. Just because this current album doesn't now, doesn't mean that in a few years it might feel different to you.

I'll be honest, I hated Pop when it first came out, but I have recently rediscovered it in a new light and love it.

Agree with this post. This is the great thing about a band with an oeuvre as big (and good) as U2's. I'm always a little surprised with how definitive U2 fans' opinions are regarding the albums/songs, since pretty much every U2 album goes through cycles of interest and intrigue for me.

I agree with all of this. Let's hope they let the whole lot back in soon.

Back
Top Bottom