Fan report from U2place.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dima said:
i've read the thread linked above and actually the author has been a little disappointed with new songs: he says that the sound is similar to ATYCLB and that with the exception of 2 or 3 tunes it's a slow and soft rock album (imagine something in the middle of stuck and walk on)...

Hmm, that's disapointing; not at all the sound I've been hoping for. Ah well, "slow and soft" doesn't neccessarily mean bad songs. Here's hoping that the tunes are growers...

This is not the first time that we are getting reports that the songs are in the same vein as Atyclb, which would be a disappointment to me. I want to hear that "rock on Venus" and "heaviest u2 album" that Bono has hyped for a couple years now, not a bunch of Stuck in a Moments" :madspit:

I'm pretty sure "heavy" has never been used to describe the album, EvolutionMonkey... most of that was fan speculation/hype. But still, I feel your frustration.

Why do I get the feeling this is all a completely untrue story?

I was in Eze 10 days ago too and I could listen some news songs from the beach and I can tell you that what I heard sounds like 'Kite'

Well I swam over to Eze a couple of days ago, and the stuff I heard sounded like a cross between Peace On Earth, Grace and American Prayer. Unfortunately I then threw up and had to go home, so I can't be any more specific on the sound, but I did hear somewhere between 1 and 73 tracks, 9 of which were b-sides to be included with the forthcoming single.

Who the hell knows.
(and how does this person know the topless girl was Jordan? I find it hard to believe Bono would allow any chance of pic's of Jordan - topless - winding up on the internet or in the tabloids. just my opinion of course

Last edited:
i find it hilarious how some of you are so upset at how an album that you've never heard sounds.

mikal said:
i find it hilarious how some of you are so upset at how an album that you've never heard sounds.

:up: which one though? Solar? Winter? Vertigo? I have all 3, but I'm not telling you how they sound.

Well, pretty much guaranteed, if some of you are expecting a hard rock album you are going to be disappointed.

I am just hoping for an album with more than 4 or 5 good songs. I don't care what style they are, just want an album that I don't have to skip thru 4 or 5 tracks to make it listenable.

Also, I am bracing for the inevitable ATYCLB sound, because it WILL make it on the album. Just hoping that it's only a few tracks, rather than half of the album, or more.

How bout this. Those people wanting "Hard Rock" tunes can listen to Exit, HMTMKMKM, Elevation, The Fly, New York, etc. Bad and Kite are 2 of the best songs ever, and they're not "Hard Rock". Get my drift?

I bet we'll get a decent mix, like 3-4 rockin, 3-5 mid tempo, and 2-4 ballads.

They'll all be great etc...but i wouldn't say no to an album 80%+ of rockin tunes, loL!

MrBrau1 said:
How bout this. Those people wanting "Hard Rock" tunes can listen to Exit, HMTMKMKM, Elevation, The Fly, New York, etc. Bad and Kite are 2 of the best songs ever, and they're not "Hard Rock". Get my drift?

Hey i love songs like Exit, The Fly HMKMKMKM and other heavy songs off of POP and songs like ZOO Station. What is so wrong with wanting to hear some new heavy songs like those that U2 are good at doing ? The last album was not a heavy album so why can't they swing the pendelum a little bit ?

Dorian Gray said:
I'm pretty sure "heavy" has never been used to describe the album, EvolutionMonkey... most of that was fan speculation/hype. But still, I feel your frustration.

Dorian I agree with you that the word heavy has not really been used by insiders and only ended up in rumours but when I mean heavy i don't mean heavy metal or anything like that but heavy in U2 terms like POP songs (i don't consider those dance like many do, they are 90% HUGE guitars) a few songs off of AB and Exit from JT and a bunch of songs from their earlier years. Like a song like Sunday Bloody Sunday is heavy as hell to me in the U2 world.

I made my assumption about this album being 'heavy' from the stories over the past year from band members and insiders, here are some quotes:

- In a 2003 interview with a British tab, Bono joked about the reports and said the new album was ``a monster, a dragon'' that's "filled with big tunes and it's driven by a guitar player (Edge) who is sick of the sight of me shaking hands with dodgy politicians. The anger is unbelievable.''

- Bono also said that this would be U2's first rock 'n roll album.

- When asked what the music sounded like, one source said "It was a much harder rock sound than ATYCLB, there were lots of guitars. Edge was trying many different riffs, very hard drums and strong bass lines. It's unclear if they were just jamming or it was the begining of a song, but they were working on the same one for a very long time. At one point a song sounded very familiar almost between 'Walk On' and the Cranberries 'Zombie' and the music sounded closer to the AB sessions."

- Asked as far back as June 2003 about the album, manager Paul McGuinness had said: "I've heard a lot of the stuff, they seem to have about 20 tunes on board at the moment. I always say I'm no judge in the early stages. I'm better at hearing it when it's nearly finished. That said, it sounds very exciting to me, very rock and roll, very direct."

- The Edge summed up the new record, as yet untitled, as "raw rock'n'roll....a band in its primary colours

i drove over to eze the other day and i was hanging around on the beach when all of a sudden U2 had a concert on the beach and they played 5 songs that sound like a mix of Seconds/Promenade/The Fly/HMTMKMKM all of them, then I got into Bono's car and drove around with him a lot and he said that what we heard on the beach was one of 8 albums they were releaseing that one on the beach was called Hanover Quay and then he put in another one he called Vertigo and we drove around a lot, this one sounded like a cross between Boy and Zooropa, then we ran out of gas in the Alps and while we were walking he pulled out an mp3 player and played some more songs from the 3rd album called Ordinary Land and it was a corss between The Unforgettable Fire and Pop and then we walked to a gas station and he gave a cd to the gas station attendant and told him to put it on bono called it Winter and it sounded like Passengers and October corssed then we went back to the car and got back in and his daughters were there and ali was there andso were the three other guys and i hugged all of them and bono put on another cd called Open Arms and it was a cross between boy and October and war and unforgetrtable fire and joshya tree and rattle & hm and achtung baby and zooropan and passengers and pop and all that you cant leave behind and it was sweet then when we got back to eze and decided to drive to nice and find the missing cd and on the drive bono put on another one called plateau and it was a cross between the best of 1980-1990 and the best of 1990-2000 and we got to nice and found the cd and then bono gave me a mansion w00t w00t w00t w00t!!!11!!11!!!1!!

RockNRollDawgie said:
You're not the only one,
This whole "story" sounds to me to be total bulllcrap.

It totally does not add up. The guy doesn't seem thrilled, Jordan being topless is too farfetched for me to believe, and the stark lack of any detail about or lyrics from the song make it completely unbelieveable. If you're going to fake a story, at least make it sound CREDIBLE.

Axver said:

It totally does not add up. The guy doesn't seem thrilled, Jordan being topless is too farfetched for me to believe, and the stark lack of any detail about or lyrics from the song make it completely unbelieveable. If you're going to fake a story, at least make it sound CREDIBLE.

well actually he made some reference to possible lyrics..for example he said that the song he liked most starts with bono singing something in spanish and in another one there's a chorus with bono that sings something like "cool love"...but you have to understand that in Italy we usually aren't very good with foreign languages :( (at least i find difficut catching the words of a song in english the first time i listen to it)

he also pointed out that he listened to a total of 15 songs and part of them could be b-sides or unfinished mixes

Axver said:

The lack of info about songs, and that
bit about Jordan going around topless
nailed it for me that this story is made
up.
I know being topless in France is no
big deal, but I don't see Bono allowing
one of his daughters to do it!
This dude hears the entire album and b-sides and has no substantial info as to their lyrics or titles. (Only vauge
hints it may be in different language)
YES! It is NOT credible at all, and to see posts disected this "story" as if it were true is sort of hillarious.
All I can say is it November yet???

Last edited:
Why would Bono start a song in Spanish? Has U2 ever had foreign language lyrics? I can think of some lyrics off of October, one German line in Zooropa and then Pavorotti's stuff in Miss Sarajevo, but it just seems random to me that Bono would sing an opening in Spanish. Are they sure they weren't hearing Marc Anthony's new CD?

At least make your made-up story somewhat believable...

POPMatt said:

At least make your made-up story somewhat believable...

The other day Bono and I were hangin out at Michael Jackson's place with O.J. Simpson and Mary Kate Olsen, trying to decide what to do with all the reefer we just scored off Snoop Dog, when all of a sudden Nancy Reagan showed up with Tom Cruise and Ronald McDonald. We decided to go to the beach and throw rocks at dolphins. It was a good time, except for when Santa Claus showed up and decided to strip naked and do jumping jacks.

oh yeah....and Bono played us some of the new record. I would describe it as a cross between ATYCLB and the sound of a metal garbage can filled with spoons falling down a flight of metal stairs.

maybe the band has 9 tracks for the record definitely chosen and they are trying to figure out which 1 track should round it out to make it 10. and maybe theyhave 10 songs extra that they think might be good enough to be that last 1 track on the album. so they are playing those extra tracks over and over to decide which 1 should make the actual album.
and maybe those songs don't rule.
maybe, just maybe.
but hopefully in his meetings with them, bono is taking ronald mcdonald and nancy reagan's input more seriously than michael jackson and o.j.'s.
i also heard edge has invited dick cheney over for lunch tomorrow and they will try to come up with some ideas for b-sides.
maybe.......

I found the CD.

It was under my bed.

It sounds like INXS.

It might be that "The Best of INXS" CD I lost, but I doubt it.

The songs sound like INXS songs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom