Ellipse lottery no luck needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eherncane said:
or as in most cases asked a U2 security guard to just let me in. So if they were letting me in, they were letting any of the regulars in.

:eyebrow:

why do i not believe this line right here...

u2 security guard? the security placed at the entrances to the ellipse at every single venue were employed by said venue. only place i ever saw a "u2 security guard" was, low and behold, only when u2 were on stage.

perhaps you meant a tour staffer... or perhaps you're making it up. or perhaps i reeeally wasn't paying attention and didn't noticed the hidden u2 security guards that were obviously there... :shrug:

MysteryGirl said:
Well, good for you that yopu're thankful, and that you got to experience this. But, I chose to do my time in Miami with a beach within a mile, and I still didn't get in even though I feel that I did earn my way in by doing the time. As a visually challenged person, if I'm not in the ellipse, I basically get to see 90% light show, and 10% band members when they're on the cat walk.

Well, you could argue that current GA method isn't suitable for people who are physically disabled and can't stand outside for hours on end or inside for the 3 hours a show runs. That wasn't my point. I'm sorry you did not make it in as much as you wanted to. But you did manage to get in twice, which is more than a lot of us did last tour or even this tour. Everyone's going to have a gripe if they didn't get in every single time they had GA, that's clear from this board. This band can't win, really, from the pre-sales to the shows themselves. All they're trying to do is expose more fans to the up close and personal, which I believe they accomplished.

My point with my original post and my post after that that everyone here ignored about Ticketmaster being the best way to truly randomly assign seats, is that for the most part this process was WAY more random than Elevation and did get a hell of a lot more people in the ellipse than the Heart method ever did. Everyone I know who got in this time never made it in last time, not just me.

ladyhawke34 said:
My $0.02 on this having only read a post here or there in this thread...

There are some folks where it is a priority of theirs to get into the elipse & they will make it a point to befriend the right ppl. That's their perogative and they have my respect for waiting for hours on end in either freezing cold temps or blistering hot days. Then there are folks who don't really care about getting into the elipse & when/if they get scanned in then awesome.
If I had 20/20 vision, I wouldn't care either. But I have 20/200 vision WITH glasses on (20/finger counting without glasses)LOL and that's for close-up vision. My distance vision (as in, the distance between the outside of the ellipse to the front stage) is 20/2000! And yes, WITH glasses. So I can only see the guys when they are on the ellipse, if I'm outside the ellipse. Other than that, I see a light show, and where the guys are located, but I can't see what they are doing. I aim my camera and zoom in...I see details (and delete all the blurred pictures, which are about half of them) when I put them on my 19" computer screen when I get back home. Others have their reasons for wanting to get into the ellipse; wanting to SEE the WHOLE show is mine.

While up in Cleveland for the show, we got in line around 6pm & were this | | close to getting scanned into the elipse. The guy in front of us in line got scanned in. Were we pissed & resentful of the dood? Yeah for a wee bit 'til we actually got onto the floor & pick our spot & realized that we got a damn good spot for the show.

Why should y'all get all resentful & pissed that certain ppl get into the elipse show after show? I dunno, it sounds as if some of you are/were a bit jealous. Isn't the point of going to a concert is to enjoy the show? Mmm? There's no point in getting that way about it...life's too short for that sh!t.
Not pissed at the people, pissed at the system!

For what it's worth, U2 should stick with one thing and stay with it and let the venues know. Hell weight it so that there's a greater chance for fan club tix to get in as an incentive for those that paid for membership.
:up: ITA!!!

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but:

I know someone that, in Montreal, traded his reserved tickets for GAs AND ellipse wristbands at 7:15 then walked right in.

He had a scalper friend and was hoping just to get GAs so he might get scanned in. He was surprised when he saw that this scalper had more than a few wristbands.

I find that morally reprehensible, given that I had been waiting in line all day. I got into the ellipse(front rail-smack down the centre!). But what can you do?

Personally I found Montreal's GA line much more organized than Ottawa where it was a free for all. In Ottawa they had the number system where you get a GA wristband early in the day and come back later. Only thing, at 4pm some security people told me they may not even respect the numbers so it may be a good idea to get in line now! I did and ended up front row on the outside of the ellipse even though I was number 220.

And you don't find anything wrong with admitting that you were number 200 and did not follow the numbering system that about 95% of the other people followed in Ottawa? :shrug: I know for a fact most people did follow the system there and recall an instance when a whole mob of people started telling someone on the U2.com line to go back to the proper place.

I really have got to stop listening to the little voice that tells me to follow rules as sometimes it seems like I am one of the minority suckas... :hmm:

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

u2 security guard? the security placed at the entrances to the ellipse at every single venue were employed by said venue. only place i ever saw a "u2 security guard" was, low and behold, only when u2 were on stage.

perhaps you meant a tour staffer... or perhaps you're making it up. or perhaps i reeeally wasn't paying attention and didn't noticed the hidden u2 security guards that were obviously there... :shrug:

Well you really should ask some of the people on this site who were talking to the bands security team before the shows even started, leaving their front rail spots to chat to the u2 security team who were in and around the ellipse well before Institute even came on. :
I personally saw Jon wristbanding 2 regular posters from this very site! so explain that one???????????????
In Boston it was quite a pathetic sight to see but I dont believe it was the first time this has happened.

What I find very strange is none of you picked up on it????
Or maybe some of you have and because the "fans" involved are major posters on this site have not past comment?:shrug:

I honestly have never noticed anything like that but then again, once I have my spot (whether inside or outside) I have my spot and I am not moving... However, I can be surprisingly naive at times by assuming that everyone plays by the same rules...

Not like it matters at this point... Tour's over :sad:

Last edited:
Strange, as I noticed it after only 2 concerts in Boston but to be honest you couldnt really miss what was happening.

Sadly the tour as you point out (well this leg) is over, but for those of you going to the 4th leg beware!!!!! But as the lottery wont exist for the next leg it wont be a problem unless they sell the wristbands like Manchester!!!!!!!!!!!:huh:

Bono's Tart said:
Strange, as I noticed it after only 2 concerts in Boston but to be honest you couldnt really miss what was happening.

Well, what I meant to say is that I am a spaz and once I have my spot I usually look like this guy

:drunk:

(minus the actual drinking) and then don't really pay attention to anything else. Though to be honest, I am glad I never did notice it. Not much I could have done about it other than be cranky about it...

I have a clean conscience and that's what matters to me :)

And you don't find anything wrong with admitting that you were number 200 and did not follow the numbering system that about 95% of the other people followed in Ottawa? I know for a fact most people did follow the system there and recall an instance when a whole mob of people started telling someone on the U2.com line to go back to the proper place.

I was number 200 yes, but I was waiting in line since noon because the security guards told me and others that they MAY not respect the wristband order. I was the only one in line until others joined me around 4pm. It was then that the Corel Centre crew decided they WOULD respect the wristbands. I moved farther back to roughly where 220 would be. But,there were others in front of me with much higher numbers than me.

With about an hour left they decided to split the line into regular GA and U2.Com. I went into the U2.com line which allowed me to get an excellent spot on the floor. I did not cut in line, I even volunteered to go back to be fair.

Miroslava said:

Well, what I meant to say is that I am a spaz and once I have my spot I usually look like this guy

:drunk:

(minus the actual drinking) and then don't really pay attention to anything else. Though to be honest, I am glad I never did notice it. Not much I could have done about it other than be cranky about it...

I have a clean conscience and that's what matters to me :)

:yes: :up:

you and me both!

I dont allow things like that to spoil any U2 concert for me or any U2 experience and it never will but after reading some of the c**p that gets posted about on here at times its just annoying.

Last edited:
BonoManiac said:

I was number 200 yes, but I was waiting in line since noon because the security guards told me and others that they MAY not respect the wristband order. I was the only one in line until others joined me around 4pm. It was then that the Corel Centre crew decided they WOULD respect the wristbands. I moved farther back to roughly where 220 would be. But,there were others in front of me with much higher numbers than me.

With about an hour left they decided to split the line into regular GA and U2.Com. I went into the U2.com line which allowed me to get an excellent spot on the floor. I did not cut in line, I even volunteered to go back to be fair.

Ah well, then that is different. With the info you gave on the prior post you made it seem like you just decided to stick yourself in whatever place in line you wanted...

And you can just use the "quote" button in the bottom right corner of the post you wish to quote. :)

Miroslava said:

Ah well, then that is different. With the info you gave on the prior post you made it seem like you just decided to stick yourself in whatever place in line you wanted...

And you can just use the "quote" button in the bottom right corner of the post you wish to quote. :)

No problem. And thanks!

To you and the next poster who quoted me... why would I lie?? As for me... there were several U2 staff & security ( not the individual body guards) that came on the floor after the opening band and handed out wristbands. They did it every night. After a few shows we got to know them and as they were looking for real fans to let in, they always let us in... Not the Clearchannel people, but actual U2 staffers.

Secondly, there were several girls / regulars... who attended multiple shows .. .. some people I like.. some I didn't .... who the U2 security guards and staffers always let in as well. They were usually let in right away. They were at the the show for different reasons than I was... How to describe them... let's just say in Boston night 1 ( of the the Dec dates) .... one was literally pole dancing against the front rail to Sunday Bloody Sunday. Everyone in Adam's corner of the floor was witness. As was Adam - but hey .... it got his attention.

eherncane said:

To you and the next poster who quoted me... why would I lie?? As for me... there were several U2 staff & security ( not the individual body guards) that came on the floor after the opening band and handed out wristbands. They did it every night. After a few shows we got to know them and as they were looking for real fans to let in, they always let us in... Not the Clearchannel people, but actual U2 staffers.

Secondly, there were several girls / regulars... who attended multiple shows .. .. some people I like.. some I didn't .... who the U2 security guards and staffers always let in as well. They were usually let in right away. They were at the the show for different reasons than I was... How to describe them... let's just say in Boston night 1 ( of the the Dec dates) .... one was literally pole dancing against the front rail to Sunday Bloody Sunday. Everyone in Adam's corner of the floor was witness. As was Adam - but hey .... it got his attention.

I rest my case!!!

These "fans" did exactly the same thing on the second night in Boston as well they were front rail yet again!!!
But it didnt work with Bono on the 2nd night as he ignored every attempt!!

Very sad state of affairs but maybe in 4 years time when they tour again they will Groupie another band ... here's hoping!!!!!!:|

Last edited:
:shrug: if someone can get themselves into the ellipse because they schmoozed the right people, more power to 'em. that's life, so to speak.

that has absolutely nothing to do with the lottery, and i'm sure it was probably done durring elevation as well.

Reading that statement I find it hard to beleive that you would be happy if they got your place???

Bono's Tart said:

Reading that statement I find it hard to beleive that you would be happy if they got your place???

#1, there's like 2000 people on the floor... why in the hell would i assume that it was my spot that they were taking?

#2, as we've discussed over and over and over again in this forum, the band's management has a set number of ellipse wristbands that were never part of the lottery. so anyone who got a wrist band by hanging near the soundboard, or by getting one from a u2 staffer, or even getting one from paul mcguinness himself is getting a wristband that in no way was ever meant for the lottery.

Can we just call it as:

1/2 total bias with U2 people controlling who comes and who goes

1/2 random freakin' luck!!

It's amazing this has gone on for so long. The fact is that none of us are entitled to the ellipse or anything else. If you're smart/lucky/charming enough to get in, good for you. If not, oh well, it's not like the show sucks from anywhere in the arena. So much bellyaching for this makes me afraid of when they announce they aren't touring anymore. Hopefully some of you will read this and be grateful for the fact that you can still see them at all. Bono's voice could have continued the Popmart slide and there would be no U2 at all.

lemon_vr6 said:
It's amazing this has gone on for so long. The fact is that none of us are entitled to the ellipse or anything else. If you're smart/lucky/charming enough to get in, good for you. If not, oh well, it's not like the show sucks from anywhere in the arena. So much bellyaching for this makes me afraid of when they announce they aren't touring anymore. Hopefully some of you will read this and be grateful for the fact that you can still see them at all. Bono's voice could have continued the Popmart slide and there would be no U2 at all.

what that guy said

lemon_vr6 said:

I have been watching this band for nearly 25 years not just the last 2 tours and no that hasnt anything to do with it before you all go kicking off again.
This discussion is not about being entitled to anything although some think they are its about fairness, and how this system has been manipulated.

Boston in December were my 2 first American shows which I enjoyed and thought were fantastic but I have never seen anything like what was going on during the "scanning" process and I hope that I never have to part of it again.
I hate the one rule for one and one for another type of mentality that goes on.

Odd that the regular posters on this site that this refers to have stayed strangley silent on the issue???????? :eyebrow:

#1, there's like 2000 people on the floor... why in the hell would i assume that it was my spot that they were taking?

#2, as we've discussed over and over and over again in this forum, the band's management has a set number of ellipse wristbands that were never part of the lottery. so anyone who got a wrist band by hanging near the soundboard, or by getting one from a u2 staffer, or even getting one from paul mcguinness himself is getting a wristband that in no way was ever meant for the lottery.

Missed the point again!

You are one of the poeple on here who shout the loudest about " line cutters" and the lottery, I'm glad that you dont mind waiting for hours then watching about 20/30 people walking up in front of you, then to add insult to injury ALL getting mysteriously scanned in and you dont.
Good for you!!

We know that some wristbands are kept back it happened on the previous tour, for various reasons but all this was going on while the fan club and gen adm lines were still coming in about an hour before Institute came on.

Next time I'm wearing the plunging tops it seems to have the desired effect! :huh:

I was a teenager sneaking on to the floor to be up front in the 80's... so I've been doing this for 20 years myself. I'll be a Grandma sneaking in to the front row ...

eherncane said:
I was a teenager sneaking on to the floor to be up front in the 80's... so I've been doing this for 20 years myself. I'll be a Grandma sneaking in to the front row ...

Dont try it in front of me!!
Even if security try and put you there!!:wink:

Bono's Tart said:

getting the wristbands from the inside they are all on here.

Well, I get premium tickets/seats to Cubs games and White Sox games because I know someone that works for them. Same difference really. People use "who they know" in every aspect of life and shouldn't have to justify it to anyone. It has nothing to do with the lottery which I have complained about.

Back
Top Bottom