Does anyone cry to U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cried to a couple songs during the shows last tour. Mostly Kite and Walk On. I get choked up to several of them. I get choked up reading this thread. I even got choked up (out of happiness) when I saw the ipod commercial for the first time. I truly appreciate the whole emotional part of the U2 experience...the energy they put into their music.

i've almost cried listening to Bad. sometimes it just overwhelms me, you know?

i cried today listening to the first minute of LaPoE :wink: .

Edge cried to OOTS!

edit: it's comforting to know that i'm not the only one who gets emotional to U2 songs. :)

Last edited:
this should probably go in zoo confessionals, but the first time i heard COBL from the bbc show, i started balling. im a young guy, and its hard to admit this, but the only other time this happens is when the red screen comes up at live shows. the verses from COBL and the way Bono sings them really hit me hard.

ok, now lets :sniff: go and watch the football game and :sniff: eat some red meat... :)

Does anyone actually feel the way that I feel and maybe considers U2 as being a part of themselves, a part of themselves that actually sets off memories that upon hearing a specific song, can cause an abtrusive abrupt sudden sensation of reliving the moment as it was.

starsgoblue said:
Who doesn't?
I still sometimes feel compelled to ball my eyes out when listening to certain U2 songs. The songs have become more than just a musical escape but have become so much more. They are pieces of who I am. Pieces of my life , my love, my soul! Sometimes when I listen to Achtung Baby, parts and memories of my life seem to replay as if for the first time leaving me in puddles. Tears , so many tears, so much regret and so much joy, replayed with every listen. Some people have diaries or journals, I have but one journal and it is U2. I have had several different memories tied to one particular song or another. Depending on the day and my heart, a different memory will be recalled at the given moment. Yesterday I was so unfortunate to be bombarded with every memory that was tied to Achtung and it was more than I could handle. Like a wave or a gust of wind I was on my knees and flooding my face was the worst of my past. Am I alone?

So far no one here has stated that they have had as much as a personal response to U2 in their lives as I have had, at least from what I described in the original post. I have read so many responses regarding hearing their music or hearing them live and people becoming an emotional wreck as a result, that I need to say... this is not what I was hinting towards. I am not the only one that feels this way.

I am speaking for the ones that read the posts but do not respond. 40 people may respond out of the 1000 or so that read the threads. You that read the threads without speaking, among you must be the ones that understand me.

Again... I ask.
Do you cry to U2?

Last edited:
!!!!

Everytime I hear With or Without You from Rattle and Hum, I cant hold it in. Whether I cry or get real emotional, it just reminds me of the most wonderful person in the world, my best friend who I am madly in love with. I am a confident person, but next to her I see myself as a fly. And this song rips my heart out every time, but almost in a good way. The only way I could get over this song is if I tell her, but I melt whenever Im with her.

(advice please!)

And you give yourself away...

intedomine said:
The Slane DVD gives me chills down the spinefor the whole entire of the show. Especially for Out Of Control, that almost brings me to tears.

yeah! "out of control" is so great here, but i also love "all i want is you" from that dvd and the way it changes into "wtshnn" and they turn on all the lights. i almost feel like i was there. fantastic. i'm only sorry that i wasn't actually there....

ooops- that was a little of the topic :reject:

snip .. Like a wave or a gust of wind I was on my knees and flooding my face was the worst of my past. Am I alone?
...snip..
Again... I ask. Do you cry to U2? [/B]

I am with you buddy.

For a long time I could not or would not cry at all. But if I ever needed to explain why U2 are the only band that mean anything to me, it is because of the emotion they tap into.

Nearly all U2 songs that can be sad also have hope, and a joy of redemption in them too. Not wrist slashers - I never cry to "depressing" songs. (or "love" songs - Celine/Whitney whinge songs do nothing for me)

U2 are the only band to do BIG emotions really well. BD and streets are "flying" songs.

But songs like With or Without You and One make me cry - but in a cathartic way. Like saying yes it is sad, but there is hope. I have thought about it a lot, and can't work out why one song like WOWY can for me be both a tear jerker and a triumphant "I've made it through" song. (happy tears) I love the layers, the complexity. When I am feeling a loss it lets me let it out. When I am feeling joy it does the same thing. So the same song is with me in the dark times, but also now, when life has never been better.

It makes me wonder if I a big sooky girly man. But then, it is pretty much only U2 that can do it for me. My Miracle Drug.

Being a fully certified one hundred percent all-man I'm not allowed to cry or I get a reprimand and a thousand lashes. Emotions being faulty and repetitive. Nonetheless I have experienced some well-hidden throat lumps through U2.. I still remember Wake Up Dead Man completely bowling me over while walking out of my home in the early evening. Bazaam.

i am quite a reserved person and normally most songs i don't link with emotionally,
u2 are in a very small group of groups that can set me over the edge. I think when it does happen to me, it's a case of me directly feeling the angush/ joy of the singer
Songs like WOWY and One do that to me:( :scream:

davexl said:

I am with you buddy.

For a long time I could not or would not cry at all. But if I ever needed to explain why U2 are the only band that mean anything to me, it is because of the emotion they tap into.

Nearly all U2 songs that can be sad also have hope, and a joy of redemption in them too. Not wrist slashers - I never cry to "depressing" songs. (or "love" songs - Celine/Whitney whinge songs do nothing for me)

U2 are the only band to do BIG emotions really well. BD and streets are "flying" songs.

But songs like With or Without You and One make me cry - but in a cathartic way. Like saying yes it is sad, but there is hope. I have thought about it a lot, and can't work out why one song like WOWY can for me be both a tear jerker and a triumphant "I've made it through" song. (happy tears) I love the layers, the complexity. When I am feeling a loss it lets me let it out. When I am feeling joy it does the same thing. So the same song is with me in the dark times, but also now, when life has never been better.

It makes me wonder if I a big sooky girly man. But then, it is pretty much only U2 that can do it for me. My Miracle Drug.

Now this is the response that i was looking for! Beautiful. Very well put.

I have better things to do than cry over music...I'm not deliberately trying to make a mockery of this thread...but it's just something I DON'T do, and can't see how others do either...

Bad brings me to tears most times I hear it. Stuck In a Moment and All I Want Is You shakes and breaks me too.

The price of Golden Circle tickets in Seattle, San Diego, Oakland and San Jose made me cry several times on the Elevation tour.

Ive cried to "Grace" "So Cruel" "WTSHNN" and very much to "Drowning Man"

Many U2 songs also give me goosebumps too. The spoken part of "Out of Control" on the Slane DVD when he talks about the 500 pounds gives me a feeling Ive never felt before. That part is amazing.

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own is a crier...wait till you get that image in your mind of Bono taking care of his dying father. It's a very honest, raw emotion he is tapping into there.

A big reason I became a bigger U2 fan was because of a girl. I went to high school with her and finally brought myself to tell her how much I thought of her. She was a huge U2 fan and it was the "common thread" in our relationship. October 3, 1987 we went to the Toronto show of the JT tour and it was under the full moon and in the freezing temperature that we fell in love. OK, I fell in love. A few months later we broke up. We are still friends today, but she has told me several times that she wishes we had stayed together. Every time I/we hear "With Or Without You" we get emotional.

I think so many U2 songs serve as sign posts of things that mark our pasts good, bad of otherwise. U2 continues to provide the music of our lives. Pulling out a U2 album is like looking at a high school year book or photo album. That's what makes U2 different from any other band. U2 seem to make up part of the experience.

My wife and I cry with "All I Want Is You". I sang that to her at our wedding and it was a most amazing experience.

Mothers of the Disappeared.

If you don't cry listening to that song, something is wrong with you, with all due respect.

For me, towards the end of that song, I always think about those poor victims and how their souls are going into heaven peacefully. It's so sad, yet beautiful. I'm getting teary just writing this.

explorer said:
this should probably go in zoo confessionals, but the first time i heard COBL from the bbc show, i started balling. im a young guy, and its hard to admit this, but the only other time this happens is when the red screen comes up at live shows. the verses from COBL and the way Bono sings them really hit me hard.

ok, now lets :sniff: go and watch the football game and :sniff: eat some red meat... :)

First time I heard that song [last night] I cried. I was at two of those shows in NYC that inspired that song, standing there in the heart with other members of U2NYC. We snuck in glow sticks so we could see each other in the arena -- "Neon heart" anyone? amazing. Anyways, hearing COBL brought all those emotions and feeling from the show to the surfact and I admit, I cried. I almost did during those shows as well but think maybe I was still too much in shock at that point to let my emotions come through. I guess I've gotten over that. ;)

It's interesting because I always said U2 was the soundtrack to my life but COBL takes that saying literally.

Shono said:
A big reason I became a bigger U2 fan was because of a girl. I went to high school with her and finally brought myself to tell her how much I thought of her. She was a huge U2 fan and it was the "common thread" in our relationship. October 3, 1987 we went to the Toronto show of the JT tour and it was under the full moon and in the freezing temperature that we fell in love. OK, I fell in love. A few months later we broke up. We are still friends today, but she has told me several times that she wishes we had stayed together. Every time I/we hear "With Or Without You" we get emotional.

I think so many U2 songs serve as sign posts of things that mark our pasts good, bad of otherwise. U2 continues to provide the music of our lives. Pulling out a U2 album is like looking at a high school year book or photo album. That's what makes U2 different from any other band. U2 seem to make up part of the experience.

My wife and I cry with "All I Want Is You". I sang that to her at our wedding and it was a most amazing experience.
WOW!

Windmilllane said:
Mothers of the Disappeared.

If you don't cry listening to that song, something is wrong with you, with all due respect.

For me, towards the end of that song, I always think about those poor victims and how their souls are going into heaven peacefully. It's so sad, yet beautiful. I'm getting teary just writing this.

Agreed totally. That live Popmart version is wonderfully moving too.

Cant wait to here SYCMIOYO...after the reviews from some of you guys, i've a feeling ill be a little teary at some point.

If anyone really wants to cry, listen to the song " MERCY " . Just typing the title makes me teary. I will be making a new thread about this song which many of you have not heard yet. If anything comes to the heart of Achtung Baby, this song does. But guess what, as many of you know this song is nowhere near the new album. U2 ? What have you done? Who did you lie 2 in order to not release this this song?

Back
Top Bottom