do we still love Vertigo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, both theories sound like a long shot.

I feel like they're both digging too deep.

I won't be convinced until I hear it from the man himself. (As I'm sure some inquisitive reporter will ask him soon enough.)

I am NEVER going to get sick of this song. I loved Beautiful Day when I first heard it and I still love it a lot. Vertigo is quite a bit better than Beautiful Day on initial listens. And when the guys play Vertigo live, I have a strong feeling it'll take on a whole new life that every single U2 fan will not deny. If you haven't been swayed yet, you soon will be.

U2 fans here have already grown tired of Vertigo? :|

For me, the song took a little bit of time to grow on me. But now I absolutely love it, and think it is a terrific choice to kick off an LP. I've listened to it countless times now, and it hasn't grown stale to me in the least.

I'm surprised to see some U2 fans already souring on this single, but to each their own.

I haven't grown tired of Vertigo, but I have re-discovered albums I haven't listened to in months and months.

Unforgettable Fire
Joshua Tree
Rattle and Hum
All That You Can't Leave Behind

All That You Can't Leave Behind has suddenly shot up in appreciation for me. I now finally like it a lot, thanks to Vertigo. It opened the door for me to listen to the whole catalog again.

I just wish the song was longer, with another verse, and maybe a longer bass solo in the middle. The song just seems rushed. As soon as you settle in, it's over...:(
Also, a longer intro would be nice, and at the end, I wish the song finished up with a drum crash, instead of just the guitar. The song just lacks some real substance and character (and length). How could you ever compare Vertigo to any other U2 classic when it's that short. It feels like a clip.

of course! i can't get enough of this song. even though i think my roommates are ready to kill me for playing it nonstop. not to mention our neighbors upstairs who always complain about me playing it too loud. apparently the vibrations are bothering them. that's all adam and his rocking bass! i can't do much about it, cause this song NEEDS to be played loud!

I'm still bouncing around saying Vertigo is "the mother of all rock songs" "the mother of all rock songs"....

I am still wincing when I put the car stereo on to play it.

I am still taking a deep breath after I listen to it, waiting for it to come on again in a couple seconds...

I'm pretty sure my children have learned the words to it (I sure as hell didn't teach it to them, and if they'd have ever asked me to turn it off I would have in a second...). Son and I were doing this little duet last night...on the how-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow
swirly part...though I don't know if he knew we were both singing it, he tends to get lost in his experience of music. It was cool enough to just sing along with that part alone, all the more fun to have a little un-intended duet going!
My daughter likes it too, and she doesn't tend to react to things the same way her brother does. She seems to get absolutely mesmerized by it, like her 4 year old self is being sent on a trip by it too.
I think it lulls them to sleep (it did actually!) and rocks their world at the same time.

So, yeah, I still think Vertigo is pretty okay!

cheers all!

Last edited:
U2Fan101 said:
All That You Can't Leave Behind has suddenly shot up in appreciation for me. I now finally like it a lot, thanks to Vertigo. It opened the door for me to listen to the whole catalog again.

ATYCLB has shot up in appreciation for me as well!
Just before vertigo, I'd been listening to the best of 1990-2000 compilation alot and every once in a while to AB (which usually demands me to listen all-the-way-thru and I can't do that too often timewise), and to Seven (so bloody brilliant!)
and ATYCLB.
But I never got a full *album* vibe from ATYCLB as I'm feeling now...
vertigo is making me want to go back to that LP and explore it as a full trip, not just a thematically/emotionally connected set of individual songs.

cheers...

I am still loving it. I thought I would get sick of it, overplay it you know? I went a day without listening to it, then I put it back on yesterday. It's even better now.

This song is going to be spectacular live.

Since I am pretty much always humming the song/singing the song/playing the song I'm going to say that i still like it alot, a whole lot - the song is infectious - can't wait to see the song performed lived - so I'm going to check the I still really, really, really love it:)

ultraviolet353 said:
I have to say that when I first heard the song I liked it but it went down hill from there. There is, IMO, something thin and too easy about the song, a quality that is antithetical to the great U2 songs. Usually U2 songs grow on me, but in this case Vertigo has worn very thin. I have spoken to a few U2 fans who seems to agree with me, but it also seems that on this board in particular, people are loving the song. I do feel that the Eno/Lanois influence is missing and I hope does not hurt the overall album--So, what do we think after about a week with Vertigo?

??????????????? Did anyone ever stop loving it??? It's way too new for that and besides it is U2!

Last edited:
a good rock song to enjoy, not a great pop song that possesses my soul as i am used from u2

nothing wrong with that of course, they have the right to do it, it's just that the argument "it rocks" it's good for tons of other fm rock acts around (and even that doesn't necessarily means it's good) but not for u2

I like it very much. Sometimes I go a whole day without listening to it just so I don't overdose.

After repeated listenings my only criticism of Vertigo is the prominence of the drums in the sound mix - they are very much in the background. If this is something unique to Vertigo then fine - I just hope that the drums are more up front in other tracks on the album.

Lo-Fi said:
I don't listen to it on repeat every day for 5 hours, maybe that's why some have went off it, over exposure! I listen to it once in a while and I really enjoy it, it just has a great energy to it. I'm not going to spoil it by listening to it all the time, I think I could make myself sick of it.

It's a good song, but not great, but that's alright, it's just there for the fun. I don't expect them to release classic songs every single time. It's gonna be a killer live as well. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it and the direction they're going in.

thats what i was gonna say
spot on

It's really grown on me...I love it. The "oh oh oh oh oh" bits after the "Swinging to the music, Swinging to the music", that leads to the chorus - fantastic. Still not loving the "Turn it up thar Captain" at the start though, ever so slightly cheesy after a few listens...anyone else think that?

well I'm still listening to Vertigo since it was available, burned onto a cd 15 times and been listening to the whole cd at least everyday for half a hour at least!

I still love it. I don't listen to it 100 times a day either. I catch it on the radio here and there. Once the album comes out, I will be blasting it NON STOP. Sounds teriffic loud. I still love it for what it is - a loud, fun, loose song......sometimes that is just what the doctor ordered !

I love it, and what I love about it is how raw it sounds. U2 are finally getting in touch with their earlier punk rock influences. The best context I've heard "Vertigo" in was on Little Steven's Underground Garage, side by side with bands like the Ramones and the Replacements. It fits right it. And I love it -- but I said that already.

I still think this is a funny, joyful punk song which won't be similar to anything else on the album. I think that it will be among the weaker songs. Miracle Drug and Love and Peace or Else sound much better to me.
But, in the last few days I found a new appreciation to the song. Can you feel that synth part in the ending of the song(probably Jacknife Lee???) in the background. It sounds fantastic and it takes the song to a much higher level. Maybe I'm not as enthusiastic as on the first listen, I still love the song.

Aw man a thread like this already? Can all of us ever be pleased here? I guess the answer is no--but I just can't see how you can listen to this song at very high volumes and not get pumped up. Love this song.

Aardvark747 said:
It's really grown on me...I love it. The "oh oh oh oh oh" bits after the "Swinging to the music, Swinging to the music", that leads to the chorus - fantastic. Still not loving the "Turn it up thar Captain" at the start though, ever so slightly cheesy after a few listens...anyone else think that?

Oh, no, I love that part!
That's Bono being a cheeky pirate with us, blesshim..
And it's very reminiscent to me of REM's little intro to radiosong, remember that anybody?! *That* was seriously cheeky.

i don't know whether i'll grow tired of this song by the 22 of november..but for now i just can't say anything else: IT ROCKS!

Well, the more I listen Jacknife Club Remix, more I think the original version still can be improved, like what happened with some "Pop" songs ( IGWSHA, Please, Last Night On Earth ) :yes:
I really hope the band will notice that and fix the original version, because it obvious isn´t an Ultimate U2 song, but it could be an awesome one, but still needs some things :wave:

i like the slowmotion/power-outake thing in the video much better than the radio-one, it adds something special...

Back
Top Bottom