Did Lanois Ruin NLOTH A Little?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Larry recorded lots of No Line with electronic drums, which was odd.

SUC had potential if one can recall the studio clips - it sounded like an Achtung baby era drum beat, etc. BUT - then they went off and make it a bubble gum mid-pacer, this HORRID lyrics. The "little old lady" line still gets on my nerves.

Its just a bad tune. It was the potential to groove, and it failed on delivery with its safe, cleaner approach.

NLOTH the song live is mega on the cd. Would not in a million years describe it as light. It is very heavy, and the distortion is :drool:

If you think Lanois ruined NLOTH, go into a dark room, get some amazing speakers or headphones, turn MOS up as loud as possible and close your eyes

Exactly what I would recommend. :drool:

Actually, Lanois can very much be a "dirty sound" type of producer. The Achtung Baby sound was down to him to a great extent. Listen to Bob Dylan's Time out of mind to hear how distorted and murky he can get.

I like Flood a lot, though and he is a great producer (and he can do a lot more than dirty sounds, listen to PJ Harvey's White Chalk).

I agree with everybody else that Steve Lillywhite's work in SUC and Crazy is (atypically) out of character with the rest of the record, maybe even in Breathe too, although that's such a great song that the style matters less.

I think its rather that the songs were born out of playing together and improvising and they come together live, as the band become more confident with them.

See my thread "The official: BRING BACK FLOOD thread" with this content:
NLOTH has great layered songs, very slick & tied produced (apart from the clipping in for example IGCIIDGCT) but it just doesn't like sweat, a cracked fingernail, sleepless nights, a slap in the face from someone or somewhere you didn't expect... I mean: Achtung Baby had that! Can you remember the first time you heard The Fly? Or Acrobat, Zoo Station, UTEOTW, the distorted wah-wah intro of Mysterious Ways ? The sound of a Nina Simone-like song performed in an abandoned cathedral in space in Love Is Blindness? And how fantastic is Edge's heavy, swaying almost weeping solo here...

Layers in songs are used for crap singers/musicains. Any Musician worth their weight should just have 5, maybe 6 instruments tops. Eno's computer effects just prove to me that Bono is becoming a shit singer. I think Siavash on UK's Big Brother is better singer than him. Siavash is hot :love::drool::loveshower:He's Iranian and last Fridays he was singing what sounded like as Iranian song Could Bono do that? Bono is turning inot a stylist rather than a singer. Liam Gallagher, Sting, Bob Dylan and Robert Plant are all stylists. If you sing rock songs it's ok to use some stylistic elements as long as you can produce a pure tone. Freddie Mercury, Billy Joal and Amy Lee are rock singers but are actual singers not stylists. I don't like the straining he does on NLOTH. He used to be a stylist in the 80's and now he's going backwards by turning shit.

Eno and Laoninis are not part of the band so they should kindly f-off. Having people to do backup singing with you means that you are crap.

They used effects on the voice and other instruments in the 90's, so I'm glad that they stopped that. NLOTH was released in the 00's where the band were searching a rawer sounf but also showcasing Edge's guitar and Bono's voice. McGuinnes said this in U2 on U2. Trying to recreate AB is not progress, that's called being backward.

facepalm.jpg

Layers in songs are used for crap singers/musicains. Any Musician worth their weight should just have 5, maybe 6 instruments tops. Eno's computer effects just prove to me that Bono is becoming a shit singer. I think Siavash on UK's Big Brother is better singer than him. Siavash is hot :love::drool::loveshower:He's Iranian and last Fridays he was singing what sounded like as Iranian song Could Bono do that? Bono is turning inot a stylist rather than a singer. Liam Gallagher, Sting, Bob Dylan and Robert Plant are all stylists. If you sing rock songs it's ok to use some stylistic elements as long as you can produce a pure tone. Freddie Mercury, Billy Joal and Amy Lee are rock singers but are actual singers not stylists. I don't like the straining he does on NLOTH. He used to be a stylist in the 80's and now he's going backwards by turning shit.

Eno and Laoninis are not part of the band so they should kindly f-off. Having people to do backup singing with you means that you are crap.

They used effects on the voice and other instruments in the 90's, so I'm glad that they stopped that. NLOTH was released in the 00's where the band were searching a rawer sounf but also showcasing Edge's guitar and Bono's voice. McGuinnes said this in U2 on U2. Trying to recreate AB is not progress, that's called being backward.

Everything in this post is wrong. Not one fact in the whole post...:doh:

Cactus Annie, what do you think about the "phrasing" used in the songs NLOTH and MOS?

I read this 20 minutes ago and seriously had to take that long to control the hysterical laughter that overwhelmed me!! :D:applaud::applaud::applaud:

Oh. My. God. Annie, how can you take yourself seriously with posts like that. I think Annie is genuinely trying to winde everyone up, because that post CANNOT be serious.

First of all, for the concept to hold water, everyone new instrument or sound would have to increase the loudness of the song to drown out the singer, but there is something called MIXING in the studio process that solves this issue.

Does this mean you think the beach boys are 'crap singers hiding behind the sound'. Pet sounds has sooo many noises and sounds it is impossible to count. Wilson recorded multiple instruments at once onto a 4-track, and then mixed itdown to one track of an 8-track. You couldnt count how many instruments are present on that album.

Alos, how can Enos 'computer effects' prove Bono is becoming a shit singer? For him to be becoming a shit singer,he has to have been a good singer in the past. But they have been using Eno's effects for 25 years???

Was Bono a shit singer then? If he wasn't in your opinion, you have just proven your arguement wrong. If he was, how is he BECOMING a shit singer?

Actually.....to give a bit of a more reasonable answer to the OPs question. I think he/she, like me, just find they prefer the u2 live sound to the album sound. For me (and i believe U2) they have always been a "live band". I doubt they will ever catch that in the moment feel in the studio that they have live. Its too tempting to start tweaking and perfecting songs in the studio. I love the rawness of live.

I'm curious as to why you think Lanois was the culprit in holding back this "dirtier heavier sound"? Why not Eno?

Or, for that matter, member(s) of U2?

I find all the albums dirtier live. Edge, especially. And Bono is out front more, his effects heavier and Adam adds stuff and Larry pounds harder. This is why I love them live. It's got nothing to do with being held back, and everything to do with how performances breathe new life into songs.

As an aside, clearly Brian Wilson can't sing, dan.

Everything in this post is wrong. Not one fact in the whole post...:doh:

Thanks to this informed response by BVS, I now know that everything in that post was wrong. This is really good stuff to have written, and certainly was worthy of making its own post on BVS's part.

Furthermore, I'm finding that, to enlighten my own understanding of the non-objective reality of the quality of U2's music, it helps to memorize BVS's opinions on it. That way, there's no confusion when reading other people's!!

I also think it's really important to answer every post that doesn't match one's own opinion with my own opinion re-stated (which dare not contradict BVS's). I think this makes for a really enlightening forum. In fact, I realize my own inadequacy in that I don't yet have 25,000 posts where I state that other people's opinions are wrong.

Clearly, I need to re-evaluate my priorities.

^ Um, dude, I suppose you could have not actually read the post he was responding to. He's entirely right. Everything she said is completely untrue. It's not a matter of opinion, it's just grossly in error. It's become her hallmark, if you will. If your issue is with other posts of his, by all means take those on. On this one, he's bang on. :up:

Thanks to this informed response by BVS, I now know that everything in that post was wrong. This is really good stuff to have written, and certainly was worthy of making its own post on BVS's part.

Furthermore, I'm finding that, to enlighten my own understanding of the non-objective reality of the quality of U2's music, it helps to memorize BVS's opinions on it. That way, there's no confusion when reading other people's!!

I also think it's really important to answer every post that doesn't match one's own opinion with my own opinion re-stated (which dare not contradict BVS's). I think this makes for a really enlightening forum. In fact, I realize my own inadequacy in that I don't yet have 25,000 posts where I state that other people's opinions are wrong.

Clearly, I need to re-evaluate my priorities.

I'm not sure what your problem is, but that post has been there for awhile, so I'm sure you have a reason for making such a point... but it seems pretty childish.

I wasn't commenting on anyone's opinion just facts, you may want to read the post I was commenting on. If you find I'm incorrect then please enlighten us all. Otherwise, don't try so hard next time...

What "facts" did you take issue with in her post?

You said there weren't any facts.
I didn't see any either.

Maybe because her whole post was an opinion.

So, that might be why he responded that way.

You dismissed an opinion because of it was devoid of facts.
When it didn't need "facts" to begin with.
It's just an opinion.

^ Um, dude, I suppose you could have not actually read the post he was responding to. He's entirely right. Everything she said is completely untrue. It's not a matter of opinion, it's just grossly in error. It's become her hallmark, if you will. If your issue is with other posts of his, by all means take those on. On this one, he's bang on. :up:

I read the post, and while I think Annie is almost always hilariously wrong, she's just giving an opinion.

Any Musician worth their weight should just have 5, maybe 6 instruments tops.

This isn't a matter of opinion?

Then how does one quantify such a thing?

is there a rulebook of "facts" for such a thing?

She's basically talking about nothing but subjective things in the post.

That's the only point I am making.

Carry on. :wave:

What "facts" did you take issue with in her post?

You said there weren't any facts.
I didn't see any either.

Maybe because her whole post was an opinion.

So, that might be why he responded that way.

You dismissed an opinion because of it was devoid of facts.
When it didn't need "facts" to begin with.
It's just an opinion.

It's like reading a junk science report, a bunch of sentences that are obviously suppose to look like facts but not one turns out to be true.

Layers in songs are used for crap singers/musicains.

Even if she used 'IMO' it wouldn't work. So it's not a bad opinion, it's just wrong.

i would like to have FLOOD and HOWIE B. back at the desk next time.
Lanois, Eno & Lillywhite don't get the 'real' grip. they suck!

Listening to the songs live theres a real power and heaviness about them.On the album they sound too over produced and light.A perfect example of this is the song NLOTH. I think they would have been amazing with a dirtier heavier sound.
Actually, hearing it live, it sounded way too much like "The Fly" (a comparison that many had stated, but which I had not noticed until then). The keyboard is essential to helping make this more original. I did like the live version they played here, though, because the rhythm of the strumming isn't the same as "The Fly" and the melody with more fuzzy guitar work is different from the present live version:
YouTube - U2 - No Line On The Horizon Live in Dublin [HD - High Quality]

No. You're just being pedantic.

Or perhaps you can tell us what part of her 'opinion' you agree with, and provide some sort of informed commentary on why you feel it to be remotely correct, or even relevant?

:)

Pedantic. Please use Straw Man and Obtuse for some more forum chestnuts.

No. Your opinion of her opinion was stated as fact. Exactly what you accused her of doing.

What I think of her opinion is irrelevant in my response to you. I love you guys who pretend to get all worked up over other people's opinions. I know you really don't. You're just trying to display how intelligent you think you are. But the irony of the whole thing is entertaining.

Oh, and this is all just my opinion. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom