Did Bono really say this to a fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I was at this show also, and while the comment was unexpected, by the end of the show is was just a miniscule part of it. I can understand that the person it happened to might have felt differently but for the audience in general I don't think it made much of an impact.

Fast Cars at this show was excellent and bringing up all those girls (I think they were sisters) that he kept sending down and then the sheik guy for WOWY was fantastic.

Agreed on all counts, and Wild Horses...It was terrific fun.

I guess there's no point in me continuing to participate in this discussion since no one wants to actually listen to what I'm saying and this conversation doesn't actually seem to be moving forward. But I will anyway.

Two things:

Someone said that I implied that 49 dollars means you have the right to obstruct the view of the people behind you. No, it doesn't. But if you think someone HOLDING A CELL PHONE TO THEIR EAR is "obstructing the view" then I don't know how to respond to that because, honestly, I disagree. And I'm 5'7", so that whole "vertically challenged" thing (you can say short, we don't mind) just confused me. Holding a cell phone to one's ear doesn't obstruct the view anymore than the person just...standing there. We're talking about a show where people are continuously throwing their arms up and flailing them around, especially when they're that close to the stage. How is a cell phone obstructing the view? I mean come on, if you paid for the ticket, you should be allowed to take a phone call. It's a rock n' roll show, not an opera performance. Except for Miss Sarajevo.

Second of all, I said that Bono did something wrong, and then someone took my words out of context and said, sarcastically, "Oh no, I never have".

Once again, you're missing the point. Read my post again. Of course I've done something wrong before. Many times. Daily. And so does Bono and so does a priest and a monk and a nun and all these other "righteous figures".

Of course we all make mistakes. It's understandable and forgivable. My issue is not with the fact that he made a mistake, which we all do, but the fact that so many of you are not willing to even accept the fact that he made a mistake. I think it's a dangerous thing for anyone to grant immunity to people for anything they do simply for being who they are, whether it's rock stars, politicians, parents, whatever.

When I make a mistake, which I do often, I don't expect my friends or family to just let it slide just because it's me.

I think we're missing another point here People!

Is Bono okay??

I mean, he must feel awful about this whole thing, someone should check up to see how he's hanging on!

Haha I love Roger. I'd forgive Bono spitting on a fan if it were to provide the inspiration for an album as brilliant as The Wall.

I agree. I was at this show also, and while the comment was unexpected, by the end of the show is was just a miniscule part of it. I can understand that the person it happened to might have felt differently but for the audience in general I don't think it made much of an impact.

Fast Cars at this show was excellent and bringing up all those girls (I think they were sisters) that he kept sending down and then the sheik guy for WOWY was fantastic.

i, too, was at the show... not that far away from the cell phone dude at the time, too. it was a little strange, but i think i cheered when he got cursed at, just 'cause, i dunno... maybe it was the beer. :shrug:

oh.. and the "sikh" guy is Amp. you can see this moment repeated at an Unforgettable Fire show near you.

so, if someone's music is brilliant it's allright to be a complete arsehole and spit on others?

Good point, however, i empathise with Roger due to the circumstances - what the guy in the video fails to mention is that the fan in question was on the front row repeatedly screaming for an older song to be played, and given that fireworks were being set off by drunken members of the audience, I can totally see how Roger may have flipped at that moment. It was his revulsion after the show at his behaviour that sparked the thought process that became 'The Wall'.

In relation to Bono, like others have said - the guy ain't perfect, i'm sure he flipped at that moment but good on him for apologising later on.

In relation to Bono, like others have said - the guy ain't perfect, i'm sure he flipped at that moment but good on him for apologising later on.

lol. He probably only apologized so as to not look foolish and hypocritical for asking everyone to take out their cell phones later on!

Good point, however, i empathise with Roger due to the circumstances - what the guy in the video fails to mention is that the fan in question was on the front row repeatedly screaming for an older song to be played, and given that fireworks were being set off by drunken members of the audience, I can totally see how Roger may have flipped at that moment. It was his revulsion after the show at his behaviour that sparked the thought process that became 'The Wall'.

Good lord, have I been cloned? :ohmy:

Welcome to Interference!

Haha thanks very much. I am a big Roger Waters fan!

Splendid! We could always do with a few more Roger fans around here. :wink: If you haven't checked it out yet, have a look at the B&C section of the forum - we chat about the Floyd every now and then.

He bought a ticket. He put an extraordinary amount of money into the band's pocket that evening (U2 tickets ain't exactly cheap, folks). He should, as a paying customer and fan, be allowed to talk on that damn phone if he wants to.

yes. if someone wants to be stupid and talk on the phone after paying top dollar for a ticket then let them. their obviously a dumbass doucebag. so let them throw their money away.

49 dollars allows you to obstruct the persons view behind you? nice.

I see. Talking on the phone obstructs someone's view but jumping around with your arms in the air while you scream doesn't bother anyone. And a dumbass douchebag for wanting to use the phone? So the guy who has a hissy fit because the guy is taking pictures with his phone isn't acting like a douchebag at all.

In THE REAL WORLD there is no excuse to act the way Bono did. In the real world when someone is putting you out you shouldn't get in their face and insult and humiliate them like Bono did to this guy. Sure, if a guy was going to beat up my mom or mess with my friends I'd have a bone to pick, but what Bono got angry over was completely trivial. It seems like you don't understand the concept of an overraction. You say "but I can see where he'd be annoyed". Well whoopidee friggin doo. He's annoyed. I got annoyed today because someone at my work was talking crap behind my back. Did I get in their face and humiliate them in front of a bunch of people? No. In fact I've never done that to anyone.

And please stop this "well who are you to find fault in Bono when you're not perfect" stuff. Oh, ok. I'm not perfect so I guess I'll never call anyone out on anything they EVER do because I at some point in my life have done something wrong too.

Bono is a human being and should be held to the same standards as you and me. If I saw a guy do what Bono did to someone on the street I'd think he was a complete fool.

Yes, because double standards are ok as long as Bono is the bad one, not the other way around.

I have news for you: In the REAL world (whatever that is, I'm just using your terminology) things like this happen EVERY DAY. I don't know which "real" world you are living in, but where I live people are constantly upsetting other people, getting angry, being aggressive, unfair, asshole-ish, etc. etc. It's HUMAN NATURE. Yes, me, too, from time to time. We are all human beings and things like that happen. They happen in families and in relationships, in frienships and marriages. You don't leave or hate a person just because they are occassionally moody or make mistakes or say something stupid. Saying sorry is also a great strength and forgiving even more. I really wish people would stop singling Bono out just because he's famous. It wasn't ok, he apologized, get over it.

This topis is not about that particular incident any more, but a welcome playground for people who love to bash Bono on a regular basis and are grateful for every opportunity they are given to do so.

Bono is a human being and should be held to the same standards as you and me. If I saw a guy do what Bono did to someone on the street I'd think he was a complete fool.

If you never flipped at somebody in your life, all my respect, it seems you are indeed a perfect human being....

You are right, and because he's human he also deserves the consideration that this is a very unusual for him and not common place. He apologized, let's move on. You might want to be careful, you are approaching the holier than thou, and I'm sure you don't want people digging up old posts of yours showing the times you might have been a jerk.

Man, this guy sure likes to curse! How cool! :|

What fan would throw a shoe at the singer? :doh:

I think it's good U2 has such a clean image as a rock band. That is probably what attracts a reasonably well behaved crowd to their shows. I could be wrong but U2 have probably not had many unruly fan incidents.

Same here, I also like U2's image. And I agree. From all of the videos, I have seen. U2 attracts a very nice and mature behaving, group of listeners. I would never be afraid to go to one of their shows. I am in my early fifties.

Queen of the Stone Age. Well, I would have to pass. Personally, I don't like too much vulgar language and threats of violence.

It's a shame. Cos QOTSA has some kick ass songs too!

Little Sister! :rockon:

Too bad, the lead singer seems like an ass!

why

Lookin through this thread I notice a lot of folks have very negative comments posted.

Why do you guys bash the band, if you hate them so much find another band's Fan site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom