Complain & regret: Why so many songs sound worse on 360 ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree, especially about Streets. The psychedelic "techno" Popmart versions, when Bono's voice was on, were the best versions since the JT tour. The highly energetic Elevation versions (coming after Bad or All I Want Is You) were also pretty special. The song definitely lost something on the Vertigo tour. I think the choice of the song that preceded it is unsatisfactory both on this and the Vertigo tour. Streets needs a huge, epic build-up. Pride or the Desmond Tutu Speech or One/Walk On couldn't make this happen. Amazing Grace makes a slight improvement though, but nowhere near to what Running To Stand Still or Please transitions were.

We'll just have to agree to disagree then. I really cannot listen to the Popmart versions, it just feels so weak to me. Elevation isn't bad, but it's certainly on the lower regions on my list of best Streets tours. Vertigo lost it all because of the flags and Africa babbling throughout the song.

The only build up for me for Streets is a red screen with that intro organ playing. :up: Chills down my spine every time. RTSS was my favourite transition ever.

The only build up for me for Streets is a red screen with that intro organ playing. :up: Chills down my spine every time.

:yes:
Especially with the trippy Popmart version following it. The one on the Popheart EP is the best (released) version of Streets ever! :combust: :drool:
(and I was there when they recorded it! :hyper: )

:D

my buddy named 360Tourist just sent me a YouTube link, which proved that the 360 Tour is good.

really though, i consider Ultraviolet from 360 and ZooTV about equal. they both have their good points.

my buddy named 360Tourist just sent me a YouTube link, which proved that the 360 Tour is good.

really though, i consider Ultraviolet from 360 and ZooTV about equal. they both have their good points.

I feel the same way. I love the song live equally with the MirrorBall Man, MacPhisto, and LaserBono, all for different reasons.

just an observation, and i'm going to call you out ZooTVTOURist, but this isn't calling you out in my usual "fuck you" way.....just an observation.

you recently voted NLOTH your least favorite U2 album in the "3 Months Later, Rank Your Albums" thread. do you think that maybe your dislike of the album has skewed your view of the 360 Tour?

on a personal level, i remember you from before the album came out when you were compiling a list of information about the new album, and you seemed like a pretty decent guy. but after the album leaked, and you didn't like it, you quickly developed a condescending attitude towards those that enjoy the album and tour, peaking with when you actually accused me of lying about attending a ZooTV show. you wonder why i didn't offer an apology.....well, i haven't received mine yet.

again, this post isn't meant to start a flame war, but this is just meant to show ZooTVTOURist why some of us have a short fuse when it comes to his posts, and maybe a truce can come out of it. so Sicy, sorry if this pisses you off, but i promise that i have good intentions here.

i know! :tsk: want me to smack him for you? :D
Please do. And remind me I have to smack him when we meet up in Germany in august. :wink:

i can't help it if the alter doesn't quote right! i just assumed he was talking to gabe or someone else

:angry: And now you're comparing me to Gabe? The dude that loves One?

:tsk: You are getting a giant bitchslap. Wait for it.

I disagree, especially about Streets. The psychedelic "techno" Popmart versions, when Bono's voice was on, were the best versions since the JT tour. The highly energetic Elevation versions (coming after Bad or All I Want Is You) were also pretty special. The song definitely lost something on the Vertigo tour. I think the choice of the song that preceded it is unsatisfactory both on this and the Vertigo tour. Streets needs a huge, epic build-up. Pride or the Desmond Tutu Speech or One/Walk On couldn't make this happen. Amazing Grace makes a slight improvement though, but nowhere near to what Running To Stand Still or Please transitions were.

Well, yes, I understand your point – and have felt it the same way in the gigs. While the POPmart versions were more experimental and courageous in sicovering new sonic landscapes, I especially loved the 2001 versions having the energy, edge and power rhythm I've known only from the 80ies' videos.
From 2005 on the tune lacks this, having a very perfunctory spot in the set, but not more a IMO highlight spot as part of a transitory song concept as with "Running To Stand Still", 'Bad' or "All I Want Is You".

just an observation, and i'm going to call you out ZooTVTOURist, but this isn't calling you out in my usual "fuck you" way.....just an observation.

you recently voted NLOTH your least favorite U2 album in the "3 Months Later, Rank Your Albums" thread. do you think that maybe your dislike of the album has skewed your view of the 360 Tour?

on a personal level, i remember you from before the album came out when you were compiling a list of information about the new album, and you seemed like a pretty decent guy. but after the album leaked, and you didn't like it, you quickly developed a condescending attitude towards those that enjoy the album and tour, peaking with when you actually accused me of lying about attending a ZooTV show. you wonder why i didn't offer an apology.....well, i haven't received mine yet.

again, this post isn't meant to start a flame war, but this is just meant to show ZooTVTOURist why some of us have a short fuse when it comes to his posts, and maybe a truce can come out of it. so Sicy, sorry if this pisses you off, but i promise that i have good intentions here.

Yeah, this does kinda sum up my thoughts.

Can someone point me in the direction of videos which demonstrate the diference between the Popmart and Elevation versions of Streets? I've listened to the audio from the Mexico City DVD and I can't pick up much of a techno influence.

There's a little techno synth action in the background of PopMart Streets. It's actually pretty cool... I can hear it pretty clearly on the Mexico City DVD. On one of the soundboard bootlegs, it's so loud that it's kind of overbearing... I think it's Sarajevo, but it might be Santiago. PopMart also has the extended ending with a The Playboy Mansion snippet, <insert city name here><repeat ten times>.

Sure but labeling it "courageous" or "experimental" is just ridiculous.

I won't deny that, but giving "it's the same song" as an argument is just as ridiculous!

Now the use of the remix of Crazy Tonight, that's what I call courageous or experimental.

I think the most notable change between Popmart and Elevation Streets is the organ. During Pop it's not the traditional Organ, it has some effect going on..

I won't deny that, but giving "it's the same song" as an argument is just as ridiculous!

Now the use of the remix of Crazy Tonight, that's what I call courageous or experimental.

I think the most notable change between Popmart and Elevation Streets is the organ. During Pop it's not the traditional Organ, it has some effect going on..

It is the same song/performance. An organ effect in the background doesn't change anything.

since we're talking about Streets, i personally think Streets sounds better on 360 than Vertigo. that's my opinion. i'll post YouTube videos to prove it.

Oh, I disagree. PopMart's techno effects were pretty awesome and enhanced the song, at least in the context of PopMart.

It's Streets + a sound effect. I agree that, in the context of PM, it sounded cool (the light-speed visuals were also pretty cool), but, it was merely Streets + a sound effect. I think we have to keep that in perspective when qualifying the difference from the norm.

It's Streets + a sound effect. I agree that, in the context of PM, it sounded cool (the light-speed visuals were also pretty cool), but, it was merely Streets + a sound effect. I think we have to keep that in perspective when qualifying the difference from the norm.

It had a completely new ending. And the build-up to the "oooh oooh" bridge with the synth sounded fresh as well. It is by far the biggest change the song had since the JT tour.

It is the same song/performance. An organ effect in the background doesn't change anything.
Uh, it does.
I can, but there's no way you can call it experimental or courageous.

THat's good then, since I NEVER even agreed with the experimental or courageous stuff. Why do people suddenly pin this on me? I'm Galeongirl, not Galeongirtourist. :/

I'd say there is a noticeable difference in what is going on in the song Popmart Streets vs. all other tours Streets.

What isn't different really is the structure of the song, adding a few bars on outtro doesn't really amount to much of a structural change.

So shut up already you guys and quit giving this dead thread more talking points. :angry:

:wink:

No. But my dislike for how (bad) the new songs are delivered live from Barca 1 on, surely not has made me very enthusiastic about the tour. If the band would have played the new material in a IMO more energetic, convincing and inspired way, I would feel different. It's just the way it is, just my observation ...

on a personal level, i remember you from before the album came out when you were compiling a list of information about the new album, and you seemed like a pretty decent guy.

Thank you for being so interested in my posts – and, yes, I am a pretty decent guy.

but after the album leaked, and you didn't like it, you quickly developed a condescending attitude towards those that enjoy the album and tour, peaking with when you actually accused me of lying about attending a ZooTV show. you wonder why i didn't offer an apology.....well, i haven't received mine yet.

I did not accuse you of lying. Great, when you attended & enjoyed ZOO TV.

Everything is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom